What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Moby Dick, soil and New LED G4X50W (led quad grow)

chileno1978

Hi guys, its been a while.
Just got from China a new led, it supose to be one of the best. My experience with leds is quite bad so far, but hopefully this one will change my mind.
I grow since 2001, clasic indoor style (HM + HPS), in 2009 I had my first contact with leds...puajjjjj, then again in 2011, even worst!
Now I will give it another chance to this one, should work since are "super" leds (last gen).

COB Led Specs

Power: 300W
Real power: ~200W
Life: 50,000h
Input Voltage: AC85-265V
Cover Material: Iron
Color:
630nm 13PCS
660nm 4PCS
460nm 3PCS
610nm 3PCS
440nm 1PC
740nm 1PC

chileno1978

I have a indoor measures 60 (L) * 40 (W) * 180 (H) (all in CM) , with 2 moby dick (dinafem) in veg, almost 2 months now in MH, got this led and next week I will start flowering.

2 buckets of 10 lt with soil

chileno1978

Ok, here we go.
2 weeks of veg, and then flowering. Everything looks good so far, but in 1 more week I will really know how the mobys will respond.

No lights the temp is 16 - 20 °c
HM 250W the temp is 30-32 °c
With the leds the temp is 26-28 °c (perfect)

chileno1978

Just got a correction from the led vendor

Our 4X25X3W with below 6 bands color ratio . Our the information in company website is not correct .We will change soon .
Not Red:Blue 5:1
630nm 13PCS
660nm 4PCS
460nm 3PCS
610nm 3PCS
440nm 1PC
740nm 1PC

chileno1978

So far everything looks good, leaves are in good shape and the react to the change form MH to LED was ok. Yesterday I made some prunning on the low leaves of the Mobys, and some cropping. Today both mobys where ok, and the cropping was already pointing up.

I try other comercial led few weeks ago, and by this time (3 days with leds, all the leaves where pointing down.

Big difference after 2 days of MH

I believe this leds work ok so far (finally got one that works), but after harvest, is to soon to tell. Next monday I will post more pics.

chileno1978

Ok. Here is the update of the week, so far the leds are ok, but I have my doubts if the grow has been the one I am use to with MH (I believe is a bit slower), but olso I have made several things that slowdown the veg state (prunning, defoliate, cropping). So far things are good.

Just add a copule of CFL to take pictures.

chileno1978

Hi Chil,

Hopped on board been looking at these lights for awhile. Like to see what they can do...
Hi weed, so far is working...i am very skeptical about comercial leds, 1 more week to flowering. Hope this pannel change my mind about comercial leds.

Weed Dude

Hi Chil,

I been running LED for about a year using HGL's. I went to a bigger tent and need a couple of lights. Yeah don't believe the hype. Mine run about 140 watts ( 2 x 2) coverage. Important to use cal / mag. For some reason they need more from my experience. The yields are close to HPS but still haven't figured out how to get the density. When it comes to quality the LED is better and I have run at least 10 different strains.

chileno1978

Hi Chil,

I been running LED for about a year using HGL's. I went to a bigger tent and need a couple of lights. Yeah don't believe the hype. Mine run about 140 watts ( 2 x 2) coverage. Important to use cal / mag. For some reason they need more from my experience. The yields are close to HPS but still haven't figured out how to get the density. When it comes to quality the LED is better and I have run at least 10 different strains.
Great tips! Thanks
I will check the cal&mag
When you say quality you mean potency? Flavor? Smell? Better than hps?
In flowering what is the high you use? (Pannel-cannopy)
My space is in centimeters.

Weed Dude

Hi Chil,

Potency for sure,Flavor and smell are good. Produce a whole lot of trichomes. Height start at 36 inches (91 cm) Then I lower 5 -10 cm a day and see how the plants respond. Usually go no lower than 46 - 60 cm. The lower you go the smaller your coverage. If your leaves point down it normally indicates the light may be to close,

chileno1978

Hi Chil,

Potency for sure,Flavor and smell are good. Produce a whole lot of trichomes. Height start at 36 inches (91 cm) Then I lower 5 -10 cm a day and see how the plants respond. Usually go no lower than 46 - 60 cm. The lower you go the smaller your coverage. If your leaves point down it normally indicates the light may be to close,
Better than hps IYO?
Great tip, today in my daily check leaves where ok and up (as i use to see with mh), I put the pannel 50cm above the cannopy, tomorrow i will post some pics, also add extra mg and ca :good:
Getting ready for scrog:dance013:

Weed Dude

Better is a relative term. My main purpose was to control the heat. I worried about having a mini sun burning in the house. LED's are now running almost watt for watt with HPS. In my experience you get less penetration. Which results in more "popcorn" buds. Dispensaries don't like that. They need "bag appeal" or as I call it eye candy. My take on that is what is the quality like and does the medicine work. There are far more experienced LED growers out there than myself. You don't have radiant heat like HPS so your plants won't transpire as much. Normally you will end up running your nutes hotter and the plants will suffer. I also found that you get your lights to close and the plants suffer. If they are reaching then bring them down a little at a time.HPS just blast lumen which works well and the penetration is awesome. It is the same question HPS users have do I go with 1000 w or two 600 w. The two 600w actually are better in the long run. It is the same with LED... Some are great lights others are poorly designed and use cheap components. Very interested in this panel because "spectrum" means a lot. The goal of LED was to cut cost. "Less heat", less power, less nutrients. For a small time personal use grower they are great. You just have to remember it is not HPS. I love outdoors the best except for dealing with the bugs and wildlife. Have never seen an indoor grow match it and it is the easiest to do.... Sorry for being so long winded!

chileno1978

Weed, please be as long winded as you want, i have experience outdoors and indoors with hid, no leds (good at least), so every help is very welcome!