What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Amber in 15 minutes from cutting

gunnaknow

Hey Gunna! You always generate good ideas.

Thanks, as do you Jump.

In the last session I tried to rehydrate the bud in humidor style, as I usually do with overdried buds.
I was in hurry and missed some 'opened water' that wasn't useful for the process.
From this point of view a steamer probably would be more neatly and quick instrument. I'll try it.

You could also just submerge the plant material in water for a few minutes, so long as the bits were of easily strainable size. I eat kelp regularly, which comes as dried leaf shreds and needs just five minutes soaking in water to fully reconstitute. I suspect that cannabis leaf trim would reconstitute very quickly also, although thicker, denser tissue like buds would obviously take longer. One would need to remember not to disturb the submerged material too much or use water that was too cold because both would encourage trichome dislodgment.

Will you do this also? I need some help because of the depletion of a plant resources and fresh ideas ofcourse.

Unfortunately, I don't have any bud to work with at the moment Jump.

Regarding cold climate I see more potency in arctic to get diamonds instead of simple amber.

What is the consistency of your amber after it's been in a warm 15-25°C room for a few hours? What temperature is it usually?

The description of 200 proof scares me a bit with words of (‘fatal over a short time period ‘,‘trace amounts of toxic benzene ‘) vs (3% of water).
They probably use 96% as input to get 200 proof after filters and absorbers, it would be better imo.

Yes, benzene is often used to redistill the ethanol to 200 proof and trace amounts will remain in the ethanol. One should use ethanol that has been purified by other means, such as by the use of hygroscopic substances like glycerin/glycerol or by the use or molecular sieves, which selectively adsorb water molecules but not ethanol molecules. You can even buy 95-96% ethanol and then purify it at home, by adding a molecular sieve material such as 3A zeolite. If one were planning to recapture the alcohol from the oil for reuse, through distillation, then the alcohol would obviously need to be dessicated each time. As Jump says, it might not be worth the effort but each to their own.

http://www.milehidistilling.com/Zeolite_3A_Ethanol_Dessicant_p/13030.htm

do you think its worthwhile to attempt to rig up a vacuum purging chamber using a aspirator for a common sink?

my problem has been that vacuum flasks and vessels designed to have a vacuum pulled on them are not of a shape that is easy to scrape out any oil... the oil has the be redissolved.

Have you thought about using a pressure cooker? They are built to withstand high pressures, so should also withstand low pressure. They have a pressure outlet fitting on the lid that could easily be adapted to fit tubing from a vacuum pump. Some pressure cookers have a small window in the lid, which would be helpful for observing when the oil had sufficiently reduced. As Jump was getting at before though, if it's ethanol that you're using, it's better to recapture the ethanol through distillation because of the high cost of undenatured ethanol. If it's just IPA then it doesn't matter because it's cheap.

You can distill ethanol whilst it's also under a vacuum, allowing you to recapture the ethanol aswel as reduce the temperature required but you really need to know what you're doing and it's beyond the scope of this thread.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5462&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Gunna

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
ah thanks so much for all the info guys.. as per trying to recycle the ethanol its not terribly necessary for me.. rather i was trying to purge my oil both quickly and with as little added heat as possible. I figured i would drop the boiling temperature with a vacuum to aid in my purge. the pressure cooker sounds like a great idea thank you very much.

200 proof is as gunna noted either made with chems and nasty for our purpose in that regard (benzene) or when using a molecular seive the alcy is as clean as clean is.

jump117

Veteran
What is the consistency of your amber after it's been in a warm 15-25°C room for a few hours? What temperature is it usually?

Gunna

The consistency of amber was achieved, shown and described in a warm kitchen-lab at 24-27°C, independently of weather outside.

gunnaknow

the pressure cooker sounds like a great idea thank you very much.

No problem. If you're after one with a window in the lid, then Ultrex make one like that but I think that it has a non stick inside, which wouldn't allow for scraping the oil up with anything metalic. I also think that a window might limit the amount of pressure or vacuum that a pressure cooker can take. It would probably be better to buy one without a window, that is designed for heavy duty pressure and then just do a test run where you remove the lid at regular intervals, until all of the alcohol has been removed. Then you can calculate how long it will take to remove a given volume of alcohol the next time round and just leave it to do it's thing.

The consistency of amber was achieved, shown and described in a warm kitchen-lab at 24-27°C, independently of weather outside.

Thanks, that helped clear things up.

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
ah, and to think i got my pressure cooker for the fungal pursuits.. its wonderful to see it utilized in these applications. - what a multitasker! purge your oil and sterilize gear.

i was thinking that i might place a glass vessel like a pyrex bowl inside the containment (pressure cooker for example) and in that way the cooker's finish would be irrelevant.

me and the buddies will give the cooker a try when we have the facility.

gunnaknow

Yeah, we joined here shortly after OG went down. I think I only found this place because I tried to search on google for Overgrow when it had gone down, thinking that the address might have been changed. One of the search results that came up for Overgow was ICMag strangely, so I joined and found many other OG refugees here.

Wfw1

ah, and to think i got my pressure cooker for the fungal pursuits.. its wonderful to see it utilized in these applications. - what a multitasker! purge your oil and sterilize gear.

i was thinking that i might place a glass vessel like a pyrex bowl inside the containment (pressure cooker for example) and in that way the cooker's finish would be irrelevant.

me and the buddies will give the cooker a try when we have the facility.

Do you get good results in your fungal pursuits? I've done tons of research on it but as for exact yields as compared to the work involved I wasn't sure if it was worth it or not, I've never talked to someone who's actually done it, your using the substrate in a mason jar method then into a terrarium method I'm assuming? What are your yeilds like? do you have trouble finding spores?

Sorry don't mean to highjack the thread I've just never had the opportunity to talk to someone who actually does this.

gunnaknow

Wfw1, I think you should probably ask him your question by PM. Wondering a little off topic is ok, but this is a little too far off the thread topic.

Wfw1

Haha very true but I also don't want to spam, I'm sure it's against the rules, and of course all of us marijuana folk are all perfectly rule and law abiding people... hahaha

Wfw1

Great thanks for your help guys, the links I followed from Erowid were all dead or dieing and didn't yeild any active forums.

Now to steer this back in the right direction, being such a BHO head the whole iso idea was a little washy to me but after reading around here I've attempted it a few times since I joined and my most recent attempt I'm very satisfied with, I had a plastic grocery bag full of some pretty rough trim, very leafy, no popcorn buds what so ever.

I had run this exact same material through my BHO tube before and wasn't very impressed with the result, a little soft and not the most potent. But I did a large ISO wash, (The whole bag in three steps then all purged at once.) and when I was done I was surprised by both yield and potency. I got almost exactly 1 gram of albeit dark oil but at room temperature it's actually stiff to the touch with a pin in most areas, not hard hard like my quality bho but better then I was expecting, and after 4 tokes me and a buddy were stoned, now of course this does not compare to the 2 maybe 3 max that my good oil takes to get you ROCKED but heck for the price ($0) I definitely can not complain. It would be perfect to spread on a paper and spice up some bud so I'm very satisfied.

Thanks to everyone for there quality info!

jump117

Veteran
Back to quick amber !

Back to quick amber !

An inspirational greetings to all wary iso-users from the year 2006 OG refugee
Buzz Kronic - Join Date 03-11-2006/ Total Posts 4/ Last Activity: 05-30-2006

I have been useing fresh bud right off the plant and doing a 2 min ISO quick wash.A qp of fresh bud yealds about the same as a oz of dry. the taste is spectacular you can tell by taste what breed it came from. any one else do this or tryed it with butane ?

Jump!

Wfw1

2 Questions:

Would you expect that to be a good yield when you account for the wet to dry ratio?
your yields seem to be fine so I would assume so.

and had anyone replied saying they had tried it with butane?

jump117

Veteran
Would you expect that to be a good yield when you account for the wet to dry ratio?
your yields seem to be fine so I would assume so.

I don't know weights of wet, dry, oilcake and amber to report
but imo it doesn't matter,
because we gathered entire harvest of the resin here -nothing left behind,
and scaling will relates to bud and growing quality rating only.

jump

gunnaknow

Yes, Wfw1. He said that a 1/4 pound of fresh bud yields about the same as an oz of dry. A 1/4 pound is 113.5g and once dried weed loses over 3/4 of it's weight in moisture, which would leave no more than 28g. So just as he reported, the yield from 1/4 pound of fresh bud is going to be about the same as the yield from an oz of dried bud.

I think Gunnaknow tried. I've heard of very clear results, not mine.

No, it was Blayz'd that you're thinking of. I initially raised the idea of using butane on fresh plant material in your other thread because it discussed the use of alcohol on fresh plant material. The two methods were related and I was already planning to respond to Blayzd's post, so I brought the subject up in your thread.

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?s=&showtopic=157646&view=findpost&p=1625129
http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?s=&showtopic=157646&view=findpost&p=1626612
http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?s=&showtopic=133100&view=findpost&p=1629795

Latest posts

Latest posts