What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I Need Help with a Solvent Delivery Issue

AnselAdams

Setup:
Frankie's (nickname for my QP test clp rig) first run went smoothly. I pulled a full vac on the 30# recovery tank and put it on dry ice slurry while I assembled Frankie and moved things outside. I refreshed the vacuum just before I began the solvent wash.

Since this was the first run, the wash was with 5 cans of solvent (420 mil or 2.65 lbs.) and the material column dewaxing jacket had also been filled with dry ice slurry 45 min before the wash.​

recovered 2.2 lbs. of solvent into the 30# recovery tank. All good.​

Second run. Same setup with a 30# recovery tank on dry ice slurry....
The difference on this run is that i know the solvent tank is about one can short. So i went ahead and flushed one full can as before. When it was empty, i closed the valve and switched over to the recovery tank from the first run that has been sitting in the shed for a week or so. I opened the valve and heard the solvent flowing and verified flow through the sight glass. I also verified by watching the weight climb on the scales. ​

The problem:
Everything stopped after only just over 1 lb. of solvent had flowed from the solvent tank.

My Resolution:
I finished the run with 2 spare cans of solvent.

Lessons Learned:
What did I F* up?
What if any were my other options to restart the flow?​

Thanks in advance.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Setup:
Frankie's (nickname for my QP test clp rig) first run went smoothly. I pulled a full vac on the 30# recovery tank and put it on dry ice slurry while I assembled Frankie and moved things outside. I refreshed the vacuum just before I began the solvent wash.

Since this was the first run, the wash was with 5 cans of solvent (420 mil or 2.65 lbs.) and the material column dewaxing jacket had also been filled with dry ice slurry 45 min before the wash.​

recovered 2.2 lbs. of solvent into the 30# recovery tank. All good.​

Second run. Same setup with a 30# recovery tank on dry ice slurry....
The difference on this run is that i know the solvent tank is about one can short. So i went ahead and flushed one full can as before. When it was empty, i closed the valve and switched over to the recovery tank from the first run that has been sitting in the shed for a week or so. I opened the valve and heard the solvent flowing and verified flow through the sight glass. I also verified by watching the weight climb on the scales. ​

The problem:
Everything stopped after only just over 1 lb. of solvent had flowed from the solvent tank.

My Resolution:
I finished the run with 2 spare cans of solvent.

Lessons Learned:
What did I F* up?
What if any were my other options to restart the flow?​

Thanks in advance.

How did you add the extra cans without allowing atmosphere to enter?

AnselAdams

How did you add the extra cans without allowing atmosphere to enter?
at the top is a mini-ball valve into which the JIC fitting is taped and inserted. The valve is not opened until after the can is depressed. The valve is closed again as the can nears empty.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
at the top is a mini-ball valve into which the JIC fitting is taped and inserted. The valve is not opened until after the can is depressed. The valve is closed again as the can nears empty.

Have you checked our recovery tank for trapped atmosphere?

Latest posts

Latest posts