What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to safely incorporate alfalfa meal, karanja meal, and insect frass?

Dis

This is my first non introductory post so if I offend or disrespect in anyway I apologize in advance, I am just here to learn.

I am 30 days in to a grow that is really a sloppy and quickly thrown together trial run, just to see what some of the problems I might encounter will be when I “really” try, whatever that means. I am nearly done building a cabinet that will be considered my first real attempt. The current trial run is a mash up of FFOF and Recipe420, loosely fertilized / amended in a KIS / Coots hybrid. It’s a mess, but I just threw it together because I was eager to get something rolling, to start learning from mistakes. I am ready to start my soil for my next grow and I wanted to run something by anyone with more experience than I, as I have very little.

As a result of throwing things together quickly I have a few things that aren’t being listed as part of either Coot’s or the KIS recipe, I couldn’t see the harm in adding them, but if there is no reason to, or better yet good reason not to, then I certainly would rather not. This is the list of ferts / amendments I have currently not in the version of Coot’s mix I am looking at. I was fortunate enough to immediately recognize that 50# bags were the only way that made sense to buy anything, and then went and locally sourced what I could and ordered what I couldn’t. I would like to find a safe use for these things. The 3 things I definitely want to try to incorporate into my soil or a foliar schedule are alfalfa meal, karanja meal, and insect frass.

Karanja Meal
Alfalfa Meal
Insect Frass
Cal-Phos (Soft Rock Phosphate)
Sul-Po-Mag (Granular, not sure if there is a finer powdered version?)
9-3-1 Bat Guano
0-11-0 Seabird Guano
Fish Bone Meal

I have read some things that give me the strong impression that alfalfa meal is something I should be using in my garden both in the soil and in teas for foliar application, so I am trying to figure out how to work this into my soil or schedule to best benefit from it. I operate under the impression that it contains a growth hormone and it can burn my plants if not used carefully, but thats about as much as I have looked into it.

I have read that neem and karanja work well together, almost synergistically, however I have not gone the extra mile to confirm this with literature documenting scientific evidence, however I am operating under the impression that having both is always preferential to having only one.

I have read and heard nothing but good things about insect frass. I haven’t seen much regarding its use as a tea, but as I type that I feel like I haven’t looked well enough to say that with any confidence really… but I would like to use it in my soil as I am under the impression it increases microbial diversity, chitin, and other micronutrients.

Everything else I have not strong desire to use in my soils. The guanos I would like to figure a foliar or nutrient tea based use for, if that makes any sense to do. I will gladly use them in my soils if there is a benefit, but even by wanting to add these 3 things, I feel like a jerk, wanting to tamper with a tried and tested recipe.

I have checked several archived stickied posts and despite going through several pages of consolidated soil recipes I couldn’t find an answer to this question. If it has been answered before I apologize, and if you could point me in that direction I would appreciate it. I feel pretty safe adding all 3 of these things, but it would be great if anyone can confirm or share amounts per cf.

Thanks

-Dis

Mengsk

sounds good, you can mix any or all of that into the soil but if you can use it to make tea especially the more expensive amendments you can do it that way too. then scratch the remaining solids in, more labor intensive but less waste probably.

Granger2

Veteran
Note: Part of this is underscored, I know not why, and I can't get rid of the underlining.

So you have listed 4 N sources. I would suggest that if you are going to use one part of N in your mix, use the frass, guano, and Karanja, 1/3 part each. Foliar the alfalfa[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] since it is [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]pleasant, where the frass and guano are not if you try to foliar them. There could be some danger to your health in liquid form. And BTW, don't breathe the dust. If you are adding this stuff to Coots mix, I would do it with a light hand. Good luck. -granger [/FONT]

Dis

Thanks Granger, thats exactly what I was looking for. Would it be a better use of materials to not add the guano to the soil mix, but instead use it every 7-10 days as a nute tea? Just adding the karanja and frass to the soil mix?

Granger2

Veteran
I'm sure it would work, but I don't know if it would be better. You can foliar the alfalfa more often. It all depends on the quantities. Guano, for me, is best incorporated into the soil. Once and done. You can top dress guano periodically. When you get into bloom, you want to go easy on the N anyway. Good luck. -granger

Dis

Also found the modern method site after some looking around. Thank you for sharing that.