What's new

Pinching the top node off plants

Does anybody do this? A buddy of mine told me to pinch the top off because it sends hormones through the plant that signal it to get bushier..

However I haven't done that before and they have turned out just fine.. wondering if any ones got any facts or experience behind this?

St. Phatty

I had some pet birds FIM a few seedlings.

Some of them, totally stripped, with just bits of leaves left.

attachment.php

Blue Widow cross.

I have had similar experiences with deer stripping fruit trees - which keep on growing.

These pics were taken 8 days ago. They've been growing back since then. The ravaged Blue Widow cross has a growing shoot with 2 tiny 5 bladed leaves.

I moved the small plants into a smaller room that's easier to keep the door shut.

It sort of reminds me of Edward Scissorhands. The "went overboard trimming the plants" version.

The cats are showing a lot of interest in the plants too.

I think a cat stripped a seedling out and ate the whole thing, a Sugar Black Rose cross. That would be over-FIM'ing :woohoo:

Does anybody do this? A buddy of mine told me to pinch the top off because it sends hormones through the plant that signal it to get bushier..

However I haven't done that before and they have turned out just fine.. wondering if any ones got any facts or experience behind this?
It is called tipping where I come from. If you want decent yield from minimal plants in a finite area then you should always do it. I tip a plant multiple times with the aim of getting around 20 main branches of similar height to flower.

The main growing points of a plant produce the hormone auxin, which travels down the shoot to inhibit the lower nodes. This is called apical dominance. Removing the top shoot or apex removes this inhibition.

B

bigganjabud

Topping is taking the whole tip of the plant

Fim(or f@#k I missed) is taking atleast Half of the tip off at an angle afaik

Either way it does work

But I prefer scrogs tbh

Latest posts

Latest posts