What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help me design a good rosin press. Please.

I’m a handy guy, with a nicely equipped shop. I’m setup for everything but machining steel.
I’m going to build a press. I’m looking for ideas to incorporate.
Let me know what the “dream press” requires.

growingcrazy

You can find numerous builds of 12 and 20 ton presses on the web... really depends on what you are looking for.

I have a 12 ton, with 6x6 plates. Plates are heated with 2 8mmx40mm cartridge heaters each. Heaters are controlled with a PID.

It is a very simple machine to build... If you are going all out I would go with a 20 ton with an air over hydraulic setup so you don't have to pump the ram up each time.

Id go with a 50 ton with larger plates if your in dream land.

EsterEssence

Veteran
It depends how much material you are going to run, do you want drip tech, I would not use some noisy compressor, I have used a hair iron in a vise, made a a frame press with waffle iron plates, up to Sunfires porta power ram with drip tech capability, search around here you will find plenty of ideas. One thing for sure is if you are going to do bags or directional flow you don't need that much pressure or you will constantly have blow outs of the bags or other wrapping material, blow outs ruin the rosin...

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
What is peopleś´opinions on Drip Tech, is there any advantage, or is it just Carlos Fandango hype BS ?

To my eyes it facilitates flow in one direction, but hampers it in the other 3... so I struggle to see any real advantage

EsterEssence

Veteran
Drip tech or directional flow is all about the rosin running onto a cold tile, so you don't have to scrape the rosin off the parchment. You can make 50 to 100 gram patties of kief and do it in one press, it also gets the rosin away from the heat source faster...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What is peopleś´opinions on Drip Tech, is there any advantage, or is it just Carlos Fandango hype BS ?

To my eyes it facilitates flow in one direction, but hampers it in the other 3... so I struggle to see any real advantage

Drip tech facilitates easy collection!
Pressing, by itself is a bit of a messy process. With the addition of a drip tech press, that mess can be significantly reduced. Pressing right into your storage vessel would eliminate at least 1 step... Transfering from parchment/silicone sheet to storage vessel.

Also...
I'm not sure if I understood correctly but, it appears that sunfire (elesian research) has built a 30ton press & is pressing nearly pure THC crystals.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The THCa crystal is unrelated to the press, just a low temp technique.

Seems like a waste of time. I was going to try until someone pointed out the obvious, it's bland as fuck. It will pass just as purple rosin.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Yes, people are getting excited about the "Diamonds" but as Mikell says, it is just bland... What (I guess) you want to do is steam distill the terps+ runoff from the THCA double pressing to get rid of the waxes and lipids and add back the terps, so it smells, tastes and acts interesting

So I built a 12 ton press with an air over hydraulic jack, 3x5 plates with 2, 200 watt heaters and a home built PID. I also just wired in a heater for an e-nail, to the PID.
With a 3”x5” bag I wish my plates were 3.5” wide.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There are 2.5 x 6" bags if you look. Apologies, I lost the link. I can poke around later.

Nice build. Pictures? What is the heat up time?