What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High Grade Vintage Cannabis photography

four seasons

Veteran
There is still killer smoke everywhere. Im just saying the overall genetic makeup of this plant has become smaller and the market has shifted from 20 dollar ounces to 300-500 an ounces for something that takes pennies to produce. Of course you have to blame prohibition on this.

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
Its a real shame because these once peaceful sweetspots that fertiled the sacred landrace cannabis plants have all degraded in some form or another from war and famine to hard drugs.

Naw, not all the places, some are, but that doesn't mean that the strains are there and people grow them! Cheers

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
There is still killer smoke everywhere. Im just saying the overall genetic makeup of this plant has become smaller and the market has shifted from 20 dollar ounces to 300-500 an ounces for something that takes pennies to produce. Of course you have to blame prohibition on this.
Demand also, because with the internet and mass communication vehicles people are re-discovering the benefits of this great herb and more and more people are growing and planting great herb. You can still get a quarter of Mexican Sativa like in the pics for $20, growing superb indoor herb does not take pennies, keep the wonderful pics coming tho, great conversation!

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Four Seasons thanks for posting, nice thread. Have you found the THC content, I saw on one page, and followed it through to see how it changed durring these times? DD

xOOx

that's the old school yo!

edit: doobie - i bet some of those haze buds would spin your mind n body more then todays sparkle sparklies

xoox

four seasons

Veteran
It wasnt always that good imported weed was smashed,crushed,fermented,rotten,harsh,crackly,rotten,composted crap.
You have to remember that today only a small percentage of smokers have access to the good stuff while the other 80% are still smoking commercial garbage grown for commercial production.
When I used to visit "Ann"
The best conect Ive ever had in Florida from 74-84.
I could walk in and choose from four or five varieties of conisour grade Mex, Columbo,Jamaican and..southern pure sativa domestics... The N. Florida sinse, Tennessee Tea, Kentucky, Arkansaw much of which if you figure in the cost comparison blows away any hydro around today. The Hash lets not forget about the Hash She always had many wide range of flavors and buzzes.

Peace..

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
Yeah, but you have to also account for inflation, electric and gas price soaring, etc etc etc.
Also supply went down, war on drugs etc. But I can find a mind spinning haze if I want or a super skunky OG if I want, or good looking, green, mexican bud for $20 a quarter..
I don't know, I just think it's like comparing sodas back then and now. Now there is a huge variety of nasty shit I wouldn't drink, but I can find a coke Classic in a glass bottle if I look hard enough for $1.50 or a Monster Energy drink for $3. Check this out:

Prices back then-

Average Cost of new house $12,650.00
Average Income per year $5,807.00
Gas per Gallon 29 cents
Average Cost of a new car $3,233.00
Loaf of bread 22 cents

I pay $5 a loaf for excellent flax, hempseed, poppy multigrain organic bread, but I bet some old folks would swear by Wonder Bread, and it was only $.22!

xOOx

i keep lookin' at those pics .. and i like!

oaxacan n' colombian very familiar looking..

i've smoked all those funky lookin herbz early 80s, nickel bags..and some of them were brain boilers, lemme tell ya.. no other way to describe it but your face burning up and your head baking like mid day summer sun beating on it in the winter .. while yer body feels like you have your finger in the electric outlet bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ;)

that's what i call fire.. not throat burn ..

xoox

Skip

Veteran
OooooH man! This brings back so many memories! I don't know where to start!

Let's start with Wacky Weed! Man I had a lb of that shit that a lot of my friends got to share in. One of my friends called it "Rocket Fuel" cause it took you to the stars! The Wacky Weed I had must've been dipped in hash oil. It came tightly pressed and was sooo sticky and black. It was a one-hit wonder that I've rarely experienced since then... That was back in '72.

I love the various varieties of Mexican that we used to get, always identified by grow locale. I used to plant the seeds in my backyard back in the day.

The price reports are PRICELESS! Man that takes me back to the daze when quaaludes (or 'ludes as we called them) were everywhere along with LSD and coke. Of course those things are still around but try to find a pure hit of L around 350 mikes these daze...

The old photos don't do justice to some of the varieties. For instance the Thai Stick I got looked way better than what was in the photos. They were a bit thicker (not much) and were full of color, not looking so bland. And they were as potent as anything out there today.

In some ways they were too strong as a friend who got some of the same batch freaked out somewhat, and I nearly did too. It was so much stronger than anything else we'd had before, even Columbian. But of course I had yet to sample the fine Maui Wowie or Puna Butter yet...

Thanks for the memories!

four seasons

Veteran
Thanks DoobieDuck
Unfortunitly The early days at High Times were a little chaotic most of the time and things never followed through from one issue to the next. The THC percentage was only published one time.
This mag was originaly started and financed through the sell of Santa Marta Columbo gold, Cargo Plane after Cargo plane full.

God bless Tom Forcade...

Bacchus

Throbbing Member
Veteran
You have to remember that today only a small percentage of smokers have access to the good stuff while the other 80% are still smoking commercial garbage grown for commercial production.....

Peace..

I totally agree.

Yeah Moldy, you are correct with good contacts and knowledgable dealers you can find some nice variety. Especially if you live near/in a big city. I think the majority of peeps out there do not have access to a properly grown haze or a well cured sativa. I do not and I thought I knew people :)))

four seasons

Veteran
Skip I agree soo heartfully.
The pictures do the buds no justice. But then again I would have to agree that some of these Pure Sativas are not very pretty and appealing to the eye but when they are smoked the buzz was so much more then just being stoned. Of coarse being an old guy their is nostalgia in this and I am sure a lot of it is just memory association with youth.

xOOx

sure nostalgia man..but they do have the magic ability to bring back feelings and memories of youth and you can relive them in the moment, and think of nothing else.. a great release .when you don't have current thoughts and memories stressing you - cloud walking

soaring highs..

xoox

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Thanks for posting this up! WHat a memory trip...Clearlight Acid for $1 per hit!!!

Can't wait to call up Weldron and tell Old Captain Clearlight about this... perhaps we should take a drive over and see him soon. I saw him on Fourth of July at Eddy's going away party...

Hat's off to Four Seasons for the wealth of history.

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
wow! ive got alot to learn!
i wish i had seen some of that stuff! too bad i wasnt born til 83 =(

bigherb

Veteran
four seasons

this is amazin stuff very interestin
this is a treat for many of us from the younger generation

the info n pics r greatly appreciated

im also deeply sadden too look at soo many lost legends

fuc da look i could imagine da high n taste from the locally produced sweet spots

1luvbigherb

F

feral

Ah, but marijuana is soooo much stronger now, right? ;)

Let the naive believe their propaganda. We oldtimers know the truth! :)
so true. I still remember the dime bag I had of columbian gold on a certain Saturday night. I took a few hits off a joint in the backyard and remember my eyes rolling up into my head. I sat there for eons(?) then walked to the front door of the house. Was able to get my key into the lock but couldn't turn it. No coordination and strength. Finally I was in. Watched Saturday night live with the 'original' cast. After that went off I grabbed a bowl of lucky charms and watched Don Kirshners Rock Concert with the following line-up. Ted Nugent, AC/DC, Cheap Trick. The memories of those dayz will live on. With everything so hi tech now days the youth of today will just never know