What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

No bag rosin?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i think the bags are for squishing bubble hash or dry sift, flowers don't need a bag. not an expert myself on this method, but been following the threads on it for a while. specially small amounts of flowers will not yield well if there isa bag.

weedtoker

Veteran
Pre-pressing a group of buds as one whole flower helps, as well as trying to create from the get-go a surface of buds of about the same consistency in height, so that, for example, a t-shirt press can apply the pressure with ease and efficacy.

Bags can be used, for those who seek a cleaner/easier to have clean from the get-go final product. You can use 115-160 micron and you'll have less loss in returns if you want clean rosin from the flower directly. You can also just be extra careful before pressing to see if there is any hair or kind of "contaminate" outside the "flower" that's going to be squished. Low moisture content (ex:eek:ld flowers) help in creating more contaminate easily as diminishing returns, bear in mind also.

Best compromise between yield and quality, in low-tech methods IMHO (ex: flat iron/t-shirt press) usually need a bit more temperature than stated on several places around the interwebz (so instead of 70-105 ºC, for flower, 70ºc-140ºC, with differing times in that range, also dependent on variety) but alas, pressing 1 or 2g batches to test a variety/clone shouldn't cost you more than half or an entire zip.

Also, don't forget, even when some vars are white/full of resin/ trichomes, they may not deliver in this method. A lot of "skunks" have actually been surprisingly low on the rosin yields, kush/chem/cookie's hybrids just seem to deliver more...

Hope it saves some time/ working material/ is of help to anyone.
Cheers:tiphat:

Hope

I built my own 12 ton press and plates and PID. 3”x5”.
Squished a few fresh dry buds this morning. 95C. Quite lovely.

What is better than parchment paper, if anything?

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I have a small press with small plates. Using the bag, I not only get a cleaner product, but also can press more at once. Yes I lose some to the bags, but I wash those with ethanol for edibles.

707OGBUSH970

You press it all naked and then repress the total yield through a bag to clean it up. That works best for me.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I think the way they came up with for flower was to make moist snake like pieces for the best yield, and least contamination...

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can try PTFE sheeting instead of parchment. It has it's own issues but some people like it.

Goats

pressing large amounts without a screen or bag of some kind is not practical, and you will be picking out particulates for a while.

for small batches, maybe up to an eighth i don't use a bag either, but when you get into squishing ounces at a time you are going to want that bag. as Reiko said, if you will get a cleaner end product.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Sounds like Gumby Hash to me.
[iframe1]Ro_-Y7wQqYo[/iframe1]

Would be nice to see someone make a clearer video.
picture.php