What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

White mold so close to harvest

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
I have seen other threads but they don't have pictures.

I grow outdoors on a frigging building. It's always windy here.
I have already decided to harvest one of the girls. Now I found mold on 2 more of the 3 left.

What the heck is it?
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Any ideas or suggestions?

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks like powdery mildew to me. If so, you can wash it off by submerging plants in water when you harvest. It won't knock of trichomes if you use warm water (cold will). Here in California, some people are starting to do water washes with all outdoor grown cannabis, so you may be able to find more info on it with the right keywords.

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
someone suggested a misting with a solution of water and vinegar

fingers crossed

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
same here mate but i have yet to read about the health benefits of smoking powdery mildew so...

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I have seen other threads but they don't have pictures.

I grow outdoors on a frigging building. It's always windy here.
I have already decided to harvest one of the girls. Now I found mold on 2 more of the 3 left.

What the heck is it?
View Image View Image View Image View Image

Any ideas or suggestions?
Powdery mildew can be combated with water.

However late flower, the best thing may be to cut out the affected parts and just harvest the plant.

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
They still have 2-3 weeks to go...
Uffff.
I'll check today and if the vinegar thing hasn't done shit I'm gonna harvest them too.

Not happy about this. My attic and home are gonna reek!

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
It looks like powdery mildew to me too..

You can use "potassium bicarbonate". (not baking soda)
Mix it at 1 or 2 teaspoons per gallon of water and spray on plants..

Potassium bicarbonate can be purchased or ordered from most 'home brew supply' stores. Less than $10 for a lb.

I understand that it works by raising the pH of the surface of the plants and thus kills molds and fungi.

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
That's awesome man. Thanks for stopping by.
However I have taken off most of the leaves. Now they're basking in the sun and the extra airflow should help somewhat. Whatever had been affected has been pruned. Waiting around for potassium bicarbonate to arrive is not really my style.

I might hang them up to dry in the next couple of days if pm comes back. Whatever has pm will get put in a garbage bag and disposed...tough I have thought of making edibles.

If all is well then they will get harvested in 2-3weeks.

Thanks

Dog Star

Veteran
Horstail tea for 3 days in row spraying over hole plants..

100 g of dry Horstail on 2 litter of cold water,keep 24 hours on soaking
and then cook easy simmering for 20 minutes,wait it colds and then filter thru cheesecloth before you put him in spray bottle to spray plants...

also raise fan activity,aloud him to push more air around plant..

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
So... You didn't read the first post where I mentioned it is an outdoor grow. I'll make sure to get another fan to help the wind.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-use-milk-to-control-mildew-1402739

This is more prevention than a cure, but for the future. Spraying milk on your plants, doesn't sound like a good idea, but somehow it seems to work/help. I do it for outdoor plants during wet seasons. PM is never a huge problem for me. This article recommends to use 1 part milk to 2-3 parts of water in a spray bottle.. I usually do 1 part (fat free or low fat) milk to 7-8 parts water and spray away. Lots more links with a google search to fighting PM using milk if u need a second opinion, and tutorials on youtube about the subject if u need more 'living' proof.

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
Thanks man. This is the very first time I bump into this problem. I'll be better prepared next year.

It hasn't rained in weeks. If it had I would have taken them indoors in 30 seconds. Temperatures at night have been fluctuating but other than that everything has been normal. That's why I was so surprised I got PM.

Dog Star

Veteran
So... You didn't read the first post where I mentioned it is an outdoor grow. I'll make sure to get another fan to help the wind.

No,i didnt... but a advice still worths as you fight PM..

so you can use it outdoor too..

Excuse me to piss you off.. kind regards :tiphat:

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
Plenty to learn here. I'll have to put this in my toolbox of knowledge. I'll get some potassium bicarbonate and maybe some seeds for that horstail plant. I don't know if it's native to Spain but I'll do a guerilla grow with it since most people will probably ignore it and i can grow more of it safely and have more than enough in case I ever need it.

I've heard of people putting in pills in water then misting the plants. Can't remember which pills though...

Dog star mate I was in a pretty bad mood and the unpleasant part of me showed its unpleasant head. Some personal shit has been affecting me a lot. You were trying to help but I was still a dick to you though it was uncalled for. Sorry about that.

Now I'm getting conflicting info. Most sources say it's the humidity now Mr Threepwood here suggests dryness is the culprit. This is new to me since I have never seen any mold in dry environments. Care to expand on your affirmation sir?

St. Phatty

This year it's showing up on one Sativa, a Blue OG.

I cut off the branches that were affected.

It is infectious, the solution is simple.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
PM is not a humidity problem. It thrives in dry climate.
From my understanding it's less about the humidity, as it is about the humidity swings. The mildew requires a higher moisture level to create spores, but a lower moisture level to dispense the spores. I don't remember the exact %'s.

Latest posts

Latest posts