What's new

lowrider/diesel...any tips?

chef_trichome

How do...

i was recently gifted 9 lowryder/diesel seeds and was told they are difficult to grow but worth the effort. I was told they are auto-flower and i dont have any experience with autos. i grow organically in soil using 1000 MH for veg and 1000 HPS for flower. Just looking for some tips from someone who has maybe grown these out or has grown something similar. For instance do i just run an 18/6 cycle the whole time and they flower when ready? Should i change spectrum when they start to do so? That kind of thing. Any help is greatly appreciated:wave:

Last edited:

the END

Are they Diesel Ryder from the Joint Doctor?
or a cross of low rider and some diesel strain?
More information on the seeds is necessary....

Yes, you can grow them on 18/6, in fact you can grow them on 24/0, and they will flower automatically after about 3 weeks when they become mature. IF they are TRue, stable AUtos.
They will eagerly flower all the way to harvest under 24 hours a day of light.

It's always good to consider a dark period before harvest though. Allows the sugars to settle in the root system; and then cut before waking up the plant.

C

cyber echo

You can do 18/6, but you might lose some yield. Some peeps say 20/4 is the best, some say 24/0 is the best, and some are just fine with 18/6.

Give them as much light as you can imho, especially when they are still in the "veg" phase, because it is so short with autos (they usually show sex at week 2-4 depending on strain and sex, males being first) and the more they veg the bigger they will eventually be..

As for spectrum, MH works fine for veg and hps for flower like normal strains, but I'd imagine it would be better to have a combined spectrum during the flower phase since the autoflowers still do a lot of "veg" grow during flowering, so you might wanna add some white CFLs or anything else to supplement the blue-deficiency of the usually red hps bulbs.

Personally, I use ceramic metal halide (CMH) bulbs that have a full spectral power distribution(spd) and kinda combine a MH and HPS (not to be confused with dual-arc bulbs that actually have 2 bulbs in one).

Also, 1000watts is an awful lot for 9 autos mate.. 250W will be more than enough imho...(unless you have other strains going on)

Xtensity

Difficult to grow? No more difficult than any large normal flowering strain..... they should technically be easier because of their small size.

C

cyber echo

They are not difficult to grow, but are easier to fuck up...
With normal strains, if somethings happens in veg you keep vegging till the problem is solved,, with autos, you can't do jack and if the plant isn't at optimal condition once it takes off into flowering you will end up with not-so-good results. (ie. low yield/potency/etc), kinda like what happened with my last grow since the plants got fucked and started to flower before they had recovered from their stunt.

This is why it is very easy for people to call autos crappy if they have not dialed them in.

chef_trichome

thanks...
you guys are awesome and everything you said makes sense. The exact origin of the seeds is not known. Considering the source who is respectably informed on the subject i would GUESS they are lowrider crossed with sour diesel....not Diesel Ryder from The Joint Doctor. Great tip to let it go dark for starch and sugar settlement. I always harvest right before the lights go on:) Thanks to echo for the tips on bulb choice...i am excited to try my first autos!!! I know its a lot of light but i am growing multiple strains in multiple phases...i plan on starting these auto beans in about 3 weeks. i will post pics and more questions as they arise. thanks again all. Peace, pot & pork fat!!

chef_trichome

salbahe

Good advice guys... They're a little nutes sensitive...but definitely a good strain.
lots of light the more the better then total darkness 2 days before harvest...

peace n happy toking

20/4

Marijuana Enthusiast
Veteran
Cant wait to see some pictures of this, autos under 1000watts do AMAZING! Your gonna have some monsters on your hands that forsure!:jump:

F

FullDuplex

They are not difficult to grow, but are easier to fuck up...
With normal strains, if somethings happens in veg you keep vegging till the problem is solved,, with autos, you can't do jack and if the plant isn't at optimal condition once it takes off into flowering you will end up with not-so-good results. (ie. low yield/potency/etc), kinda like what happened with my last grow since the plants got fucked and started to flower before they had recovered from their stunt.

This is why it is very easy for people to call autos crappy if they have not dialed them in.

Totally agree with you CE they are easy to grow but if there is a mistake made there is really no recover time. it has to be right from the start to reach highest potential.

Considering the source who is respectably informed on the subject i would GUESS they are lowrider crossed with sour diesel....not Diesel Ryder from The Joint Doctor.
chef_trichome

This is the one thing that concerns me. If this is an F1 Cross from lowrider X Sour diesel there is a real good chance that these WILL NOT auto. You usually dont start seeing high numbers of the auto trait until F3 when you cross a AF to a photo period plant. Once they germ and grow, like CE said, you should see sex around 14-20 days if not then there is a chance they are gonna be photo period dominant. However if this is not the first cross of the two your chances are better for the auto trait.

G/L with the grow

karma sent for the auto gene

dopestyle

I have grown both the Lowryder 2 & Diesel Ryder in the last two months & the best bit of advice I took was from The Joint Doctor himself:

"As a rule of thumb, treat Lowryders like seedlings for the first 2-3 weeks, then switch them onto a light bloom program. So, you feed them a seedling/transplanting formula the first 2 weeks, then switch to a bloom fertilizer with something like a 5-10-5 or 1-2-1 ratio of N-P-K.

During the first two weeks of growth, Lowryder should have weekly light feedings of a “grow” type nutrient solution with micronutrients. When plants pass into full flower, they should be started on a “bloom” regime for weeks 4 through 6. Mycorise-type biological amendments (root stimulators) seem to increase growth significantly"

I based my feeding schedule on the above info:

WEEK 1 (7 DAYS FROM SEED) FORMULEX (2.5ML PER LITRE)
WEEK 2 (14 DAYS FROM SEED) FORMULEX (5ML PER LITRE)
WEEK 3 (21 DAYS FROM SEED) CANNA A+B (1.5ML PER LITRE) + 2ML OF RHIZO'
WEEK 4 (28 DAYS FROM SEED) CANNA A+B (3ML PER LITRE) + 2ML OF RHIZOTONIC
WEEK 5 (35 DAYS FROM SEED) CANNA A+B (3ML PER LITRE) + 2ML OF RHIZOTONIC
WEEK 6 (42 DAYS FROM SEED) CANNA A+B (3.5ML PER LITRE) + 2ML OF RHIZOTONIC
WEEK 7 (49 DAYS FROM SEED) CANNA A+B (3.5ML PER LITRE) + 2ML OF RHIZOTONIC
WEEK 8 (56 DAYS FROM SEED) CANNA FLUSH (4ML PER LITRE)
WEEK 9 (63 DAYS FROM SEED) HARVEST

I got some great results using this regime & am now a Auto convert

:tiphat:

Muddy

I've grown a lot of Diesel Ryders over the last two years and have found them to be nute sensitive. I used Fox Farms Tiger Bloom and fulvic acid. The most they can seem to take is 1/4 strength Tiger Bloom and the fulvic acid at 80 ppm.

chef_trichome

If this is an F1 Cross from lowrider X Sour diesel there is a real good chance that these WILL NOT auto. You usually dont start seeing high numbers of the auto trait until F3 when you cross a AF to a photo period plant.
This concerns me too.... Your tips will help me a lot and if i don't see sex indication within 3 weeks i should just assume they are photo dominant. I will fo sho go easy on the nutes...Cant wait to post some pics and learn as much as i can from you all....Thanks:ying:

chef_trichome

Finally popped them beans. Took longer than i thought. They are about two weeks old and doing quite well. I decided to keep the strongest four out of nine as some of the seedlings were super wispy and week looking....also some space constraints. They are showing sex and i have 2 males and 2 ladies. I plan on keeping the healthiest male under 120 CFL so i can get some pollen and possibly produce some seeds. Never done that before and any tips would be greatly appreciated. I plan on putting the two ladies under 18/6 in 3 gallon pots.....light on the nutes and just let them do they thing. They are only about 6'' tall....its crazy to see such little plants bustin their junk out already.....its like babies makin babies...lol

Anyways ive been chained to the wheel at work and havent posted in a while....does all this seem about right? any other tips appreciated...i will post some pics when i get a decent camera...christmas?!?!? :plant grow:

smokefrogg

Veteran
imho, get them into something tall with room for roots if you haven't already, the tap root on lowryders shoot down quick, if they get impeded it seems to totally stunt them from what i've been seeing, leaving me with a single digit harvest instead of a double digit one per plant lol oops...

hope they turn out well and am curious if all or some will auto flower too, pics if you can please ;)