What's new

Caterpillars???

liittle tiny tiny green ones eating my leaves on my brand new sour diesel, what the hell! I sprayed with bang twice, the pillars were still alive, I look at all the leaves and remove one from each plant, one plant had 4 or 5. Where do they come from, how do I stop them. I dont want to carry them into flower so they can shit turds all in my buds.

Help a brotha.

Also, why would the PH in an aeroflo 30 keep going down to 4.0 every 4 days when it sat steady at 6.0 after the res change and ph adjust? How do I keep the ph from dropping? I use rocks and coir cups that straw looking stuff? In the 4 week of flower or so it started dropping, now Im changing out the water every half week, what gives.

kurtty

Hey Catapillars eh? well those usually attack cabege crops. They usually dust them with a poison to kill them. But I dont think you want to use that on your bud.
You should try a parathryn spray. That should kill them, then once any eggs hatch, spray again.

As for your PH. The plant is using up nutrients and water. If the requirement of the plant shifts from lots of minerals and little water or vise versa, this can effect PH. Has temps in your room changed recently? Also, chilates break down and nutrients get locked out, this also effects PH. Do you have a ppm meter? if so, see if it is rising or falling. How full is your resevoir compaired to when it was full? Maybe it needs topping off with water and nutrients.

I hope that helped

Growdoc

Cannabis Helper
Veteran
dirtysouthboss said:
liittle tiny tiny green ones eating my leaves on my brand new sour diesel, what the hell! I sprayed with bang twice, the pillars were still alive, I look at all the leaves and remove one from each plant, one plant had 4 or 5. Where do they come from, how do I stop them. I dont want to carry them into flower so they can shit turds all in my buds.

Help a brotha.

Also, why would the PH in an aeroflo 30 keep going down to 4.0 every 4 days when it sat steady at 6.0 after the res change and ph adjust? How do I keep the ph from dropping? I use rocks and coir cups that straw looking stuff? In the 4 week of flower or so it started dropping, now Im changing out the water every half week, what gives.

Catapillars must be hunted down one by one and killed... there is no need to get a hash chemical, just find them and kill them...

Growdoc

kurtty

Parathryns are natural plant extracts. I think its "parathons" that are petrolium based, alot harsher and break down slower.
Parathryns are pretty safe and break down in a matter of hours.
I think they can be used up to three days before harvest, But i wouldn't use them any closer then a week before harvest.

G

catapillars

catapillars

These little fuckers will destroy a crop so quickly. The only way to kill them is by finding them and killing them by hand. If they get on your grow during the budding phase they will burrow into the bud, kill the bud, lay eggs and multiply so fast you won't be able to salvage shit.
Get them now while they are in plain site or they will ruin your whole crop.
I have had to deal with them many times only in outdoor grows though.

G

See if your nursery or grow store will order powdered Bascillus Thurengis. You can get it in liquid(Safer-caterpiller killer) but typically won't be too alive sitting on a shelf. Liquid cultures typically smell bad as they are mostly dead. Anyways, This bacteria devours the eggs/larvae of caterpillers. Use at 1-3t.gallon, shaken vigorously as you need to aerate to activate. Will knock them out, and won't leave a bad taste on yer plants guarateed.

ES

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
^^^
Sevin Dust? Can you give us some more info on it? What is it?

Should they carry it at the local nursery?

thanks
bartender187

Got any pics of the little buggers? I thought I had pillars too, but they were actually inchworms. the little punks munched on my vegging babies, pretty pesky, they hide on the undersides of leaves and just slowly devour your plant. catch and destroy... -A

thats what Ive been doing, just hunting them and killing them one at a time. Usually they get a leaf or so before I can find them. But I have killed prob 10-15 so far.

Still havent figured out the PH, I dont have a PPM meter, just doing it withtout this grow. I know, I need one. So, dropping PH could be salt buildup? The PH drops in like two days if I put plain tap only in the res. I dont get it, do I need some clearex maybe? My plants have burnt tips, but they look good otherwise, little spotting, maybe mg def, hard to tell, this is my first grow with the aero

G

PH

PH

BSD,
You need a PH meter to fix your problem. Gussing is only going to ruin your crop. Clearex will remove the salt build up but thats it. At least get some cheap lithsmus papers to check the PH or you will never really know what the problem is. I would never try to grow without a PH or PPM meter. they are a neccesity and worth the couple hunred buck. No one will be able to give you the answers you are looking for without having these variables to diagnos.
GM

kurtty

bacillus works on catapillars? cool, im using it for fungus gnats. It doesn't kill them off completly, but used in conjuction with something else, it sure helps.

G

Ahh, sorry about that. You still need the PPM some of my nutes definately make the ph spike. Hard to grow without one.

G

kurtty said:
bacillus works on catapillars? cool, im using it for fungus gnats. It doesn't kill them off completly, but used in conjuction with something else, it sure helps.

Thurengis Kurtty, not subtillus as used as a fungicide/N2 fixer.

Sevin- Man I hope they are not in bud, which I am sure they are if you are having caterpiller problems. I would never put that shit on a 2-3 week budding plant. Anyway, get BT and be done. I am done posting as watching the toxins people place on there smoke is appallling. PM me if ya need more earth friendly help as I rarely post anymore.

BTW-its the eggs/larvae that ya want to destroy as a) ya can't see them deep in a bud(devopuring yer buds fer sugar and excementing inside yer bud producing mold), and b) if ya kill em no more offspring and the caterpillars themslves will stay in veiw and eat outside foliage, thus ya can pick them off. The eggs/larvae decimate bud from the inside out. Been there done that never a problem anymore.

ES

fortunately its just in the veg room guys. I just pick off caterpillers if I ever find them. AFter the initial pick Ive only found one or two hiding amongst the stuff, its safe to move them to flower right??

tokinjoe

Hey bro, not sure where you live, but if in the U.S, Lowes sells a product called Dipel that is specifically for killing caterpillars. An old grower I know uses it and swears by it. I had some caterpillars last year and between them and the root rot, my crop was decimated. It's in powder form, just like Sevin dust and comes in a can.