What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seriously. Formatting.

Hookahhead

Same issue for me, also a firefox user. It seems that we have that in common. Frank, I'm guessing you TOR through firefox too?

St. Phatty

I suggest smoking some fine Cannabis and taking a laptop to the local Internet cafe, or logging in from the library.

Then logging in to ICMag from there. It should be Anon enough. Could always create a place-holder username just to test posting with.

Since the computer tends to always do what you tell it to, if you are posting using formatting tags or something like that, and the end page doesn't look right, some tags probably got lost.

I would guess that Tor and some of the anonymizer software we use can have time lapses when the hand-shaking between servers, or server and user (client), isn't happening right, and commands are dropping.

Sort of like if you go to a web page on some news website and one of the pages is all HTML code, it means it dropped a tag, or didn't get the end tag, or something.

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/

I like Seamonkey for some browsing. It is Netscape 4.79 (like from 20 years ago), with the Web Editor that people liked, and also a highly functional bookmarks manager. Mozilla adopted it.

Sometimes I think an obscure tool can be useful because the computer scammers tend to concentrate their hacking efforts on Chrome, Explorer, Firefox, etc. There's no money in hacking Seamonkey because not many people know about it.

One option is to have a backup browser or 2, like Safari, or even Explorer.

Using that for some posts, when the Tor approach drops out and posts aren't formatting right.

Then coming back to the main tool, something Tor related it sounds like.

Mixing it up may not be as perfect security wise as All-Tor all the time. But I think the main goal security wise, is to make the job of watching a particular account, difficult.

Doesn't have to be perfect, unless you stole $1 Billion from the mob, and they've tracked you to ICMag.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
It isn't tor, unless icmag is running through tor on the server itself. I don't think I've ever used encrypted browsing for icmag. CW and OG back in the day? Hell yes!

I understand the safety precautions for those not in legalistic states. I once had an officer pipe up (in a group conversation), "You're the guy who surfs in the black hole on the internet, aren't you?" I don't know if he was being blatantly an idiot, or he was warning me the local cops were watching my internet traffic. To this day I'm pretty sure it was pure stupidity. Needless to say I spent the next month archiving information and didn't dig again info on cannabis until I hit legal states.

So, not using tor is a dead end to fix the issue easily.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not using TOR is not an option. I'd have to stop posting entirely if not for TOR and VPN. I'd love to think the site is still trying to survive. I know it isn't free to operate or run and webmasters cost extra, but if the ability to contribute is compromised via unnecessary, it's an instant bad experience and could in ways prevent the site from being successful to new comers.

Plus, it's just really annoying to have your post appear differently than it was typed. ;)

dank.Frank

Hookahhead

So I decided to google "Firefox adding extra blank line to vBulletin", which led to an explanation and solution.

Yes, older VBulletin sites have an issue with a change in Firefox 60. To revert the change:
(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button promising to be careful or accepting the risk.
(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste newline and pause while the list is filtered
(3) Double-click the editor.use_div_for_default_newlines preference to switch the value from true to false (was false in Firefox 57-59)
This change was made for compatibility with Chrome, but if sites have been handling Firefox and Chrome differently, then those sites will have a broken behavior in Firefox. This article is for sites that need to adjust to the new behavior:
It takes about 3 seconds to make the change, and works perfect for me. No more extra spaces! I hope this helps everyone else out :tiphat:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
^^^^

Looks like some genius has figured it out fellas - it looks to be a conflict with V-Bulletin and Firefox...the fix is above.

Hydro8

Hookahheads fix seemed to work for me, now only one line gets added. Thanks Hookahheads

Before I was pasting the post text into textpad and unclicking "wordwrap".

U

useless.gardens

appreciate you hooka... fixed... finally !!!

no more double spaces between posts. makes posting 10x more efficient.