What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How long are folks flushing?

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
I grow in 3-5 gal containers of coco and have done anything from 10 days to no flush. I usually do 5-7 days. I have tried flawless finish but prefer plain water phed to 6.1-6.2. I have read of people going 2 weeks and I like the idea just looking for what others have experienced. Thanks.

MrBungle

What is your definition of flushing?

If you mean just using plain water til the end of flower, I usually do that for the final week... That would be the last 2 watering's

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Yeah that is all I mean, plain water or any of the products out there like flawless finish. Your question did get me reading about it and it seems the idea is not as decided as I believed so I might need to do a side by side to recheck my beliefs.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I go from ten to fourteen days depending on whether or not I manage to avoid burning them.

If it's a finicky strain and I over feed or if it was just a heavy feeder I usually flush a full two weeks.

I pH my water and soak the pots then wait an hour and put half the volume through.

Next watering I again put half the pot volume through then just to normal spec after that.

I find using pH adjusted water helps get the salts out of the coco better and lets the plant use what it has left naturally.

If I use plain water I find the salts not really rinsing as well or maybe the plant not metabolizing what it has left as efficiently.

Whatever the case the better the fade the better the flava!

Happy harvests!!

Fuel

The whole process take me the last week in coco, but i prepare it weeks before. I don't start from "full throttle" dosages.

insomniac_AU

I flush 14 days. I just started last night actually. I find that best to give me the fade I'm looking for. I don't run any medium either so the switch to plain water is immediate as there are no trace nutrients.
Here's an example of what 14 days flush does.
This is day 42 of flower, start of flush.
picture.php

This is day 56 after 14 days plain water.
picture.php

Nice looking plants insomniac. That’s really impressive. I can’t ever get quite that fade on mine. I’m actually mid flush right now about 5 more days to go. I think I need to start sooner. You read so much conflicting reports on coco and flushing or whatever you want to call it. Plain water feeding. This time I tried plain water and hygrozyme so we will see what comes of it here in a few days. Anyways thanks for sharing guys

I

Ignignokt

Meh.... no flush.

(sorry, i grow in soil, i didn't realize it's in the coco section)

insomniac_AU

Meh.... no flush.

(sorry, i grow in soil, i didn't realize it's in the coco section)

Yeah I'm not growing in coco either, sorry for posting here but the way I see it what you grow in doesn't really matter. We're all growing the same plant. I was just showing the effect of removing all nutrients for 14 days at the end of flower.

al70

Veteran
20 days before I chop I run double the container size with 20ml molasses and 30ml fulpower, then 9 days of plain water, then 10 days before chop 10ml molasses and 20ml fulpower double container size, then RO water till chop. Colder the water in the last week the better.
Me too, my customers adore the flavour from my finished product 1 tablespoon of blackstrap molasses per gallon of ph'd water, yummy, goodluck.

maimunji

I wonder when you guys watering 4-5-6 times per cycle isn't 14 days flush too much? With 6 watering per day to run off plants will be flushed after 3 days. Share your experience.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Towards the end of flowering and a bit during flush I'll mix 1 teaspoon of EJ High Brix molasses per gallon of water. It adds a nice boost the plants like and really brings out the smells and oils.

-Funk

Imo if you aren’t feeding a crazy high ec then you don’t need anymore than a 5-7 day “flush” tops. I never give my coco plain water even during “flush”. It’s usually like 200ppm base nutes. You aren’t drawing shit out of your coco with just plain water all you’re doing is flushing the nutes out of the container and locking up your plants. Ideally you want the plant to use up what it has left. 200ppm bass nutes and ph it. White ash...clean tasting meds every time

X

xavier7995

Mid to later flower i ease off the calnit and am down to mostly just jacks 5-12-26 at around two weeks out. I figure the plant should have its calcium more or less in place by then and i really want the absolute minimum of excess nitrogen, i can normally get a reasonable fade doing that. Then a week out or so from harvest i will do an actual flush and dump a bunch of water through the medium to try and wash out anything that is still there and then just water for that last week.

I buy into the idea that a low feed level over the life of the plant is more important than the flush for quality. The feed till the end argument seems reasonable to me if you stay low, but eh, its awful hard to hit that perfect so i am good with trying to do both.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Imo if you aren’t feeding a crazy high ec then you don’t need anymore than a 5-7 day “flush” tops. I never give my coco plain water even during “flush”. It’s usually like 200ppm base nutes. You aren’t drawing shit out of your coco with just plain water all you’re doing is flushing the nutes out of the container and locking up your plants. Ideally you want the plant to use up what it has left. 200ppm bass nutes and ph it. White ash...clean tasting meds every time

Ph treated water does help the plant metabolize assimilated nutrients.

If people feel the need to waste nutrients I can't stop them but what you are saying is contradictory.

Absolem

Excellent advice.

Coco coir is different then other types of hydro like DWC. Plain water in DWC is fine. But when it comes to coco coir plain water will wreck the cation exchange in the coir and lockout the plant out from giving a nice fade. You will end up getting the yellow crunchy leaves at the end instead of nice fade . When leaching all the feed from coco coir the plant loses it's ability to exchange Ca, Mg and the coir begins to fill it's cation exchange with K. You starve the plant of it's ability to use up it's stored nutes and the plant will lock out. For a nice fade in coco the plant needs access to a small amount of nutrients keeping the free flow of feed from the coco coir to the plant. Leaching coco the plant can't take up Ca, Mg to help the plant use up it's stored nutrients. The plant is then feed large amounts of K, N, and P leading to lockout and crunchy burnt leaves at the end.

The final 7-10 days I cut the feed down to about 200 ppm and water as normal.

Latest posts

Latest posts