What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Your Fave 1970s Landrace & Why?

ahortator

Veteran
Talking about the type of strains grown there and its psychoactivity, yes :D

dTgKStZ.jpg

https://noticieros.televisa.com/ultimas-noticias/incineran-plantios-amapola-y-marihuana-guerrero/

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
For me at least 80% of what I had from the time I started (76) to 80 was garbage even back then. It all came from Mexico and was landrace (hemp) smashed into bricks. My brother wholesaled this stuff from like 75 to 78 when he got busted and he wouldn't smoke it, just sell it ($80 an lb). But it was that 20% that stands out, the good Mexicans, the best Colombians, Jamaicans and Thai not to mention the hashish. But my favorite to this day was during the fall of 78 when we scored some Colombian Punto rojo. It was really beautiful weed even by today's standers, with almost no compression and big buds for Colombian and it was fresh not old and dried out. It smelled straight up incense but not loud and darkish blue color with fire red hairs running through it But it was the hit that made it the best to me, the smoke was like perfume and expanded in the lungs with no burn. The high came on slow but steady building to a rolling thunder, it just took you over and brought you to another world, a better world. Clear, clean euphoric and focused, no trippiness or raciness, a rich cannabis experience. It finished so perfectly unlike the shitty commercial Colombian that had over taken everyone, this was on a whole other level. We got a pound of it and of course never saved any of few seeds found in the lb. There were many honorable mentions but that Colombian still sets the slandered.

red rider

OldCoolSativa

I started smoking in 1974 and at the time the only things available in the Philly suburbs was Mexican and Colombian. Of course, strain names didn't really exist then, they were just references to supposed places of origin, which could have been total bullshit. Thai was very rare in those parts and I never saw or smoked it.

I ran into Panama Red one time and thought it was over-hyped...really like a nicer Colombian. I had some unnamed weed in 1975 that gave me full-on hallucinations. I actually thought at the time that I should save the seeds because the effect was so powerful and psychedelic. I smoked a lot of heavily seeded Oaxacan in the early 1980s and it wasn't noteworthy until your stash was nearly out, then you would go through the massive number of seeds in the rolling tray and remove the calyzes that were still stuck to a lot of the seeds. A bong hit of the pure Oaxacan calyxes was a true mind fuck, extraordinarily good. I'd say my favorite though was Colombian Gold, which was heavily seeded, had that classic Colombian woody-piney-peppery aroma and flavor, and gave a long-lasting clear, euphoric high.

As a lover of the landrace sativas of the 1970s, I agree with ahortator and am saddened by that image of Indica-leaning weed being grown in Guerrero. Cripi weed has infected nearly all of Colombia. You can't blame the peasant farmers for growing crops that bring in more money, but I think commercial interests ruined that 70s weed. And continues to do so today.

It is my considered opinion that the large gulf in the quality of the effect between that 70s weed and today's polyhybrids is the length of flowering time. Commercial interests dictate that flower times be less than 8 weeks, certainly no more than 10-12, and the one thing that almost all breeders have in common is that they select for short flower time. But the sativas we smoked in the 1970s flowered under the tropical sun for 14-20 weeks! You just can't rush Mother Nature.

oldbootz

Veteran
There are still some unhybridized african gems to be found and I'm looking. It's all about the quality of the high. Swazi, Transkei and Malawi are promising.

grayeyes

The Michoacan I had in '69 had a sandalwood scent when lit. You could take huge hits as it was very smooth without making you cough. But when it caught up to you you realized that maybe pinners would have been a better way to go.

Still looking.

BlackBuds

I started smoking in 79. I grew up and still live in the Bay Area, CA near Santa Cruz. Growing up I just assumed everyone in the world was smoking weed like I was. In the early 80s Thai Stick and Aucopulco Gold are highs that left a permanent impression on my brain. When I first smoked Humboldt bud it was 1983 and I had never seen weed so green and crystallized and hard fresh nugs before. At that point on it was either Green or Brown. and everyone wanted green and it was Indica (at least we thought) Skunk was around and it changed everything too and got many people busted. Then Dutch weed started infiltrating (CA genetics coming back after being watered down) and weed has never been as good as it was in the golden age of Nor Cal 1983.

Some truly awesome stories in this thread. Like I'm glad we've progressed with our knowledge but I wish they'd have done more to preserve the originals.

So that leads me to my next (newb) question: Were the strains of yesteryear so different because of the genetics themselves or mostly due to less advanced grow techniques/drying methods? Like, if you grew a legit landrace strain--say, a Oaxacan or Acapulco Gold or Hindu Kush seed using today's indoor setup & modern drying/curing methods instead of whatever they were doing in the '70s--would the strain look & feel like today's dispensary weed? Or would it be akin to the old stuff from back in the day?

Basically, how much is genetics vs. growing technique? Can any strain be super potent if grown optimally or are the older landraces truly lower in THC content even in the best of circumstances? (I know "optimally" is subjective, but in this case I just mean using today's standard grow techniques vs. those of the olden days).

I realize the Golden Age pot was shipped in from exotic locations & often dried in bizarre ways like in corn cobs or underground or just in the open air... Surely that had to have some effect on the end product.

baduy

I was a kid in the 70's so no first hand experience. I think everyone here recalls his first good bud when a teenager and will fill the list with the name. In my case we didn't have access to those Mexican Colombians or central American weeds just Congolese and central African fermented seeded weed. looked like shit just like on the vintage pictures thread and colour was mostly dark from deep green to black. big black seeds nearly every time.
But the high when you got your hands on a good one...oh my
Super social, giggling if alone, laughing our asses off when in company, super horny (as if you weren't horny enough when you're 16 years old) you could get completely lost in a familiar place if you indulged too much.

Well I think every old timer here knows exactly what I'm talking about, this is not romanticizing the old days this is real and not something you experience the same way in the post-Skunk era, more like "IFelt anxious then laughed for ten minutes then watched TV in total immersion then I fell asleep (or passed out can't really tell) and woke up totally rinsed.

Anyway I think most ganja strain before the great Afghan (Well western selected Afghan in fact, true quality Afghan hashish had the potential to throw you in another dimension) infestation had the potential to send you in another world, something like having a casual slight acid trip wrapped in a soft and warm blanket. Good cultural practice played a role for sure (best weed often came in small batches and was on another level than the most usual black Congolese which was probably sun dried and picked early but you can't get those highs from 8 seekers, some famous cuts (c99, ssh, nevil's) do the trick but once you're hooked you can't help but explore some differences (and if you're an old timer the search for the cut that will reproduce that exact moment of bliss they experienced at a certain time of their life (Thai Bliss one of the most inspirational posters here is a case in point with his search for trip weed thread but we are all there more or less)
A totally different world from Commercial weed, at least in Europe where the average consumer is much less educated than in the US and critical is the ultimate best seller. I've been approached by folks at my job sometimesasking if I knew where to get some weed or asking for a bud, I got a few buds of herbal sleep-aid to give them as I don't want to work (my job can be dangerous) with a zombie who didn't find sleep for 72 hours

The thing that maybe pleases me the most when I come to this forum is to discover kush grown potheads falling in love with the old highs and sacrificing yield and ease of growing for finicky, poorly yelding hermie prone old names who want to take over the top of their grow space.
It's a romantic quest and the good part is that it pays, most of my colleagues are younger than me and don't even understand what I'm talking about when I explain them what I just wrote here.
Wow this might be my longest post here on IC, usually I restrict myself to growing and a bit of peacocking when I find plants of interest in my grows sorry for all those world for not much was puffing my last joint of Oldtimer's haze before logging in.
Regards

Last edited:

Boocoodinkydow

AHHH! The good ol’ days! I got stoned from smoking once; it lasted for ten years!

My first introduction to pot was in the Nam. Some unnamed strain simply referred to as OJ. Later I learned it was supposedly opium soaked weed. Horrible experience. Lost control of all bodily functions; puking and shitting all over myself before passing out.

Returning to the states, my cousin introduced me to Columbian Gold. A simply beautiful hallucinogenic trip. The decade of the seventies was one continuous high.

In the Deep South during that period, the majority of what was available was super crappy Mexican brick weed. I had some really good connections for some high quality grass. Columbia’s Gold 90% of the time with occasional Panama Red or Jamaican or Acapulco Gold in a pinch.

I found Columbian Gold the most mind expanding experience imaginable! The sense of focus was amazing.

I went through a two year course at our local trade school for radio and tv repair while smoking at least three joints per day. I swear I could see those electrons running across the wires in the tv!

I was named valedictorian of our class and was given an outstanding student award which was competitive amoung the graduating class of the entire school, all while stoned to the bone! I was later hired as instructor for basic electronics class. I thought, “if they only knew!”

When I started a government job in 1979, I had to abstain. When I rediscovered cannabis in 2015, my impression from my first joint was vast disappointment. Yes, boys and girls, it was a different world back then!

Boocoodinkydow

I was a kid in the 70's so no first hand experience. I think everyone here recalls his first good bud when a teenager and will fill the list with the name. In my case we didn't have access to those Mexican Colombians or central American weeds just Congolese and central African fermented seeded weed. looked like shit just like on the vintage pictures thread and colour was mostly dark from deep green to black. big black seeds nearly every time.
But the high when you got your hands on a good one...oh my
Super social, giggling if alone, laughing our asses off when in company, super horny (as if you weren't horny enough when you're 16 years old) you could get completely lost in a familiar place if you indulged too much.

Well I think every old timer here knows exactly what I'm talking about, this is not romanticizing the old days this is real and not something you experience the same way in the post-Skunk era, more like "IFelt anxious then laughed for ten minutes then watched TV in total immersion then I fell asleep (or passed out can't really tell) and woke up totally rinsed.

Anyway I think most ganja strain before the great Afghan (Well western selected Afghan in fact, true quality Afghan hashish had the potential to throw you in another dimension) infestation had the potential to send you in another world, something like having a casual slight acid trip wrapped in a soft and warm blanket. Good cultural practice played a role for sure (best weed often came in small batches and was on another level than the most usual black Congolese which was probably sun dried and picked early but you can't get those highs from 8 seekers, some famous cuts (c99, ssh, nevil's) do the trick but once you're hooked you can't help but explore some differences (and if you're an old timer the search for the cut that will reproduce that exact moment of bliss they experienced at a certain time of their life (Thai Bliss one of the most inspirational posters here is a case in point with his search for trip weed thread but we are all there more or less)
A totally different world from Commercial weed, at least in Europe where the average consumer is much less educated than in the US and critical is the ultimate best seller. I've been approached by folks at my job sometimesasking if I knew where to get some weed or asking for a bud, I got a few buds of herbal sleep-aid to give them as I don't want to work (my job can be dangerous) with a zombie who didn't find sleep for 72 hours

The thing that maybe pleases me the most when I come to this forum is to discover kush grown potheads falling in love with the old highs and sacrificing yield and ease of growing for finicky, poorly yelding hermie prone old names who want to take over the top of their grow space.
It's a romantic quest and the good part is that it pays, most of my colleagues are younger than me and don't even understand what I'm talking about when I explain them what I just wrote here.
Wow this might be my longest post here on IC, usually I restrict myself to growing and a bit of peacocking when I find plants of interest in my grows sorry for all those world for not much was puffing my last joint of Oldtimer's haze before logging in.
Regards

Beautiful, colorful summary. Enjoyed the read. Thanx for sharing.

baduy

I also enjoyed yours. Not sure that's exactly what the OP expected but sure makes a cool thread to read.

grayeyes

For you younger guys, here is an example of what we used to get.

I bought a bag of '69 Michoacan and rolled a pinner to smoke with four friends. When I took it out there were snears. About half way through I was hearing "no, I'm fine". The last inch and a half were put away as everyone was done. "Where the @#%* did you get that?"

Awesome pics & stories! Wish I could like them a thousand times.

Anyone know what type of plants were used (and currently are used) in Mexican brick weed? The low quality stuff that's shipped over here to fill the black market hole that's increasingly being closed off by legalizing weed? All through the '90s & 2000s that pressed brick schwag full of seeds was all we could get in Oklahoma & surrounding states... Yet I keep hearing how wonderful the Mexican landraces were, with some people preferring them even to the Columbian or Thai strains.

I assume the brick crap was just rushed & dried improperly but it'd be interesting to know if the genetics were any relation to Guerrero, Michoacan, Oaxacan or any of the other famous Mx strains of old. For me it was nothing but headache weed; looked like literal dog turds & smelled no better. But it's what was available so I smoked it all through high school & college. It was often wet or even moldy & we ended up with bronchial infections often. Pretty stupid looking back, but you can't tell a 20-something much.

On a positive note, I've got my mmj card so now I can hopefully find some landraces to try for myself. Or grow them when I get a place, though I know those old sativas are some tall ladies. And to the poster who asked: I haven't grown a landrace strain yet. Conditions haven't allowed it. But one day.

Last edited:

zif

Veteran
Early ‘90s Mexi-brick seeds grew into plants *far* better than the bricks. Seeds saved from the best brick I ran into produced plants rivaling anything I’ve tried. But they were lanky, totally NLD plants, very unfriendly to indoor growing.

Too bad we weren’t taking clones then, or even making some seeds!

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
On the Mexican, there were rare strains that left the regular schwag or commercial in the dust. You could smoke for a long time going thru many and not get those great ones. I had the great stuff twice in several years of smoking. Rest of it was average or quite good one time.

I have Snowhigh Michoacan seeds now and got plants that were like the better Mexican I had in '75. Still looking for the outer space Mexican I had back in '75.

On the Colombian Gold, I had a bag of it once and while good was not as tripped out as the best Mexican. Not an expert on it of course with one bag. The Colombian Green was better, more pleasant high. Colombian Red was nice for the end of a day, like a hybrid of today in effect.

I recently grew out USC '72 Colombian Gold seeds. I got some plants that I liked better than the CG I had back in '79. Surprising as I grew in my closet while the old Colombian was grown in intense sun on the equator and often at high altitude for the best CG or Punto Rojo. The best Colombian Gold was not common. They would take regular lowland pot and let it sit in the sun till it turned 'gold'. The CG had such a mystique that anything that looked gold would sell for more.

Have some modern 'lime green' straight from Mexico. Seeds I got from a friend. Grew out two and one is the classic old type high with some trippiness. The other was too indica in effect. It has been crossed with afghan I am sure but you can find phenos that lean sativa in effect.

Acapulco Gold name was used like the CG name was used, anything gold looking sold for more. Thus, many smoked AG while not really smoking it. The best of it was mind blowing but rare. I never had it but trust what a few have said on it. The AG seeds I have grown out recently have been good as far as the Snow version is concerned, but not crazy, so I think that stuff remains to be found.

Last edited: