What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Your Fave 1970s Landrace & Why?

I've been obsessed with this topic for weeks now. Basically, there are a ton of old heads who swear the stuff from the '70s blew today's pot out of the water, which is...hard to believe based on pictures of the stuff. A lot of it resembled literal grass or hay streaked with dog doo. I know looks aren't everything but it was also full of seeds without a trichome anywhere in sight.

Have any of you folks tried smoking the classic 1970s landraces? I'm talking: Columbian Gold, Thai stick, Guerrero, Panama Red, Hawaiian, Malawi Gold, Afghan Kush, Mazar I Sharif, Santa Marta Gold, Kaua'i Electric, Acapulco Gold or any of the other popular strains from the "Golden Years" of pot.

Which is your favorite & why? I notice most are Sativas--were they all anxiety-producing like Green Crack, or were some of them chill & enjoyable? Can you describe the effects & help me explain why someone would think them better than today's strains? This isn't a debate about whether they ARE better or not; I'm just curious as heck about what these strains were like before pot became all about potency & was imported from exotic locations around the world. I don't live in a legal state & thus can't pick any of them up at a dispensary, unfortunately.

That's another thing--do these same strains grown to today's standards have the same groovy feeling as the ones from the olden days? Are there any of the old landraces you frequently choose over the newer strains at a dispensary?

So many questions. :dance013:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Hi welcome to the site!

I wasn't smoking quite that early but I've smoked a lot of the old school and to answer your question as straight forward as possible, it was the quality of the high.

Focus being the word "high". Blast off and soar, mind spinning with creativity, colors and sounds become exaggerated or just tweaked to the eyes and ears. The urge to go outdoors and explore. Let fuckin' go do stuff man....

The 30% thc strains today are powerful, but we are losing the quality highs. The unique highs. Most poly hybrids today have very similar effect, just different levels of potency. Which I find boring. Non inspiring. Give me a 14% thc sativa that makes me feel like I am flying wrapped in a warm blanket and my cheeks hurt from laughing. Now that is getting high.

Happy Holidays!

BruceBanner

The worse the bud looks the better the ganja! :D
It doesn't even need to be frosty to beam you up into another dimension of pure joy and happiness with laugh attacks, hallucinations and movie like events happening, such grail plants are very rare to find nowadays...
Duration of effect from such plants can be very long 5+ hours, it's all positive effects you can count and none negative, except maybe the taste.

A picture is worth more than a thousand words

upload pictures to website

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
I'm too young to have smoked any of this stuff so personally I have no opinion.
However I know lots of old stoners that smoked all that stuff. I'd have to say Thai Sticks is the highest rated by far. The people that smoked it rate it on an entirely different scale then everything else. If anything makes people nostalgic, that you can't get any more it's Thai Stick.
The other type I've heard about from people from the Gulf Coast and Florida is Columbian Gold. Certain shipments were far above anything else at the time.

herbgreen

Veteran
The 30% thc strains today are powerful, but we are losing the quality highs. The unique highs. Most poly hybrids today have very similar effect, just different levels of potency. Which I find boring. Non inspiring. Give me a 14% thc sativa that makes me feel like I am flying wrapped in a warm blanket and my cheeks hurt from laughing. Now that is getting high.

Happy Holidays!

My theory is very similar

once we get over 15-16% THC something happens

And who knows but there are the ratio of terpenes content to cannabinoids

And the ratio of cannabinoids to each other

the modulation of just those basic factors + nutrients and grower

But whatever it is get over 16% THC seems like some of the effects get overpowered?

Also people used to hold hits for like a mininum of like 10 seconds

Now i see people just getting the biggest most giant hit possible and then let it out...what weird waste of dope!lol

The old strains were always seeded....something about lightly seeded dope....just the act of meditation...removing seeds and stems and rolling a number or packing a big bowl....something about that

Kind of like pulling out a vinyl record and playing it....these things even go together!

Anyway, its an unknown what is really going on scientifically but there is something to it!

Oh wow, this got a lot of replies :D Yay!

I'm sad I wasn't around for the original Golden Age (1970s) of exotic landrace pot. I don't personally care for the one-hitter-quitter stuff that is everywhere today. It's too easy to send yourself into a panic attack with it if you're prone to weed-induced anxiety. In fact I've pretty much switched over to high-grade domestic hemp with only traces of THC because I can smoke a whole joint & not need a Xanax afterward, lol. I look forward to that market growing in the next few years as domestic hemp becomes more of an industry. I can imagine strains like Harlequin would be ideal with the CBD:THC ratio. I really like AC/DC also. Anything beyond 6-10% THC starts making me uncomfortable...

The old sativas sound perfect: creative, psychedelic & hilarity-inducing without the extreme paranoia of today's stuff. Think the closest I've come to that was some good NY Sour Diesel a few years ago. As for landraces, I'd probably want to try Santa Marta Gold or Colombian Gold based on the descriptions of it. Maybe some Hawaiian. The Thai & Vietnamese ones sound too strong for me! I had a Spanish teacher in high school who would go on & on about how strong the pot was in Vietnam, haha.

Good point about people holding in their hits back in the day. I always did that too! Think I'd faint or freak out if I tried that with today's weed. All we had was Mexican brick/schwag when I was a teen so we had to really TRY to get high with that junk. Mostly just got headaches.

Thanks for the links, herbgreen. I could read about landraces & '70s pot allllll day.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Jarilla from CBG is a good one for you. ACE and RSC have some old sativa lines. GDP is trippy and non paranoid for a hybrid.

Colombian Gold '72 is great. Today is a golden age in that you can grow in your closet with lots of knowledge and options for seeds or clones. Or if in a legal state just go to a store though I will opt out on that.

Back in the old days it was not that great excepting the more rare varieties that you could score if you had the money at the time they were available. They were rare and never around for long either. Mostly schwag sad to say.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
A friend of mine went to Thailand courtesy of Uncle Sam and kindly brought back a bunch of Thai sticks. This isn't my photo, but it is what real Thai sticks look like. Never pass up a chance to smoke some Thai sticks.
picture.php

D

Drek

These god awful hybrids have had me bored to tears for years. It's all the same garbage...kush frankenstein. What do you think happens to any organism when you giganticize and grossly eggagerate it's genetics, inbred a huge amount of times.

Another funny thing I find about potheads...is more thc = better when that clearly isn't the fucking truth.

Outdoor exotic pot perfectly grown and hand selected and cured = old killer pot.
Just because a plant LOOKS FROSTY doesn't mean shit. It's a bunch of useless thc you see on there. Inbred thc.

These organisms are so complex, you can't possible think what we are doing to them is healthy. So you get weed that LOOKS great that gives you a headache.

highsteppa

Veteran
I can't comment on the 70's sativas as Ive never tried any. I have a buddy whose dad is Nam vet, and he's been working the same line for 30 years--it's a mix of afghani and who know what sats. Over the years he's been able to get the flower time down to 80 days.

I'd guess the thc is in the mid teens, but it has a very sublime effect you just won't get in most modern cultivars. Its a very clear, comfortable/happy high "irie"-- very good for working. It might not hit the spot for those who are used to concentrates, but there are quite a few folks who are very happy when we can get gifted a few buds to smoke.

There are unhybridized sativas available, its just not many can grow them indoors or outdoors easily. Also you can't discount the climate/soil/environment that produced the sativas of yesteryear. Even an 80 day strain is a stretch for folks who aren't growing for personal smoke.

On another note, there's an Afghani cultivar called 'Jalalabad Star' that gives a very nice, more up effect than you'd expect from an Affy.

Last edited:

BruceBanner

These god awful hybrids have had me bored to tears for years. It's all the same garbage...kush frankenstein. What do you think happens to any organism when you giganticize and grossly eggagerate it's genetics, inbred a huge amount of times.

Another funny thing I find about potheads...is more thc = better when that clearly isn't the fucking truth.

Outdoor exotic pot perfectly grown and hand selected and cured = old killer pot.
Just because a plant LOOKS FROSTY doesn't mean shit. It's a bunch of useless thc you see on there. Inbred thc.

These organisms are so complex, you can't possible think what we are doing to them is healthy. So you get weed that LOOKS great that gives you a headache.

I call that EUgenic breeding

M

moose eater

Panama Red, Thai Sticks, opiated Thai stick, Red/Orange Thai, Buddha Thai, Colombian Gold, Acapulco Gold, Oaxacan ft.-long tops, Nepalese Temple Ball or black slab, Kashmir hash, black Afghani gum hash...

Pick a favorite?? HOW??!!

All of them were typically stellar in character, some of them to include smell and taste.

And if you had a connection to good family weed out of some of the better brick weed sources south of the border, even the brick weed was often pretty good, aside from aggregate weight in seeds..

Only truly bogus weed I bought that comes to mind from back then was an attempt at a set-up, or bunk from the ditches of Indiana's Rensalaer & Jasper Counties.

Every and any lengthy road-trip should come with an e-kit containing one or more of the previously mentioned legend smokes.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Panama Red, Thai Sticks, opiated Thai stick, Red/Orange Thai, Buddha Thai, Colombian Gold, Acapulco Gold, Oaxacan ft.-long tops, Nepalese Temple Ball or black slab, Kashmir hash, black Afghani gum hash...

Pick a favorite?? HOW??!!

All of them were typically stellar in character, some of them to include smell and taste.

And if you had a connection to good family weed out of some of the better brick weed sources south of the border, even the brick weed was often pretty good, aside from aggregate weight in seeds..

Only truly bogus weed I bought that comes to mind from back then was an attempt at a set-up, or bunk from the ditches of Indiana's Rensalaer & Jasper Counties.

Every and any lengthy road-trip should come with an e-kit containing one or more of the previously mentioned legend smokes.

Looks like the Panama Red was the first that popped in ya head since its first on the list.,, but I agree hard to pick. Each area has its own special qualities, never really had the opportunity to experience African strains, the ones I grew were more modernized not land race types.. N never imported. Any.. I love se Asian types, cambo, laos, viet, Thai , but the south central Americans have always been my number 1,
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

M

moose eater

Looks like the Panama Red was the first that popped in ya head since its first on the list.,, but I agree hard to pick. Each area has its own special qualities, never really had the opportunity to experience African strains, the ones I grew were more modernized not land race types.. N never imported. Any.. I love se Asian types, cambo, laos, viet, Thai , but the south central Americans have always been my number 1,
View Image View Image View Image View Image View Image

Beautiful heirloom specimens, Stoney!

I got picked up by a Honduran fellow in 1976 or so. He was from out of Cotton Tree Village..

I still remember his address & name.

Last year an ex pat friend down that way commented that she shared his name in the area he was from, and ran into some folks who said they had known him, but believed he'd passed on.

He'd been injured in a logging accident up in back-woods Ontario, and I was just north of the Mackinaw Bridge, hitching south to my mother's place when we met.

We talked cannabis on the ride, among other things, and he told me about their premium ganja there; that it oozed blackish resin, and the best of the best attracted specific worms to the buds that he described.

At that time in my life, little of that sounded tempting or attractive. Now I might have another view of it. :)

My first experience with Panama Red was a result of my house getting raided, and 28 arrests. Most of us were under age, and the bust was illegal. no probable cause and no warrant. Of 28 arrests, 26 of the folks (including me) got their charges dismissed. The 2 who didn't were coerced to plead guilty by their families.

At the time the doors and windows imploded, a number of folks dropped their stashes (in my mother's home; she was on vacation out to the SW U.S.), potentially leaving me to take the heat for their dope. That which wasn't found by the authorities, was later found by me..

My attitude toward folks dumping weight on me to take heat for them, is that if I survive the issues, then the stash becomes mine. That was a fine bag of Panama I inherited!! :)

Last edited: