What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diy steel hoop house.

Burt

Veteran
This thread is chock full of amazing info
Thanks for sharing so much of your knowledge base!

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
ZWave control box is coming together.

Exhaust fans will work on 78' temp or 75% humidity and shut off if it's raining( 95% humidity +).
Exhaust fans shut off at 77'
Evening cooling causing humidity spike will turn fans on to exhaust humid air.

Roll up sides will work on schedule and roll down if raining or cold.

Motion sensor will trigger several security precautions depending on time of day
Motion will send text notifications.

Interior fans will work on schedule, humidity, or temp.

picture.php

picture.php

p0opstlnksal0t

What do you guys think about the delta canopy 40x20 greenhouse kits. I'm talking with them to supply me with just the frame kits and I'll skim them with double inflated poly.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=162469159961&category=139939&pm=1&ds=0&t=1560352414000&ver=0&cspheader=1

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191012-205406_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191012-205406_Chrome.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 37

CrushnYuba

No idea about delta canopy. What are the frames like? Round tube? Square tube? Channel? Guage steel?

I will say that it is way more expensive then top rail. It could be worth it depending on construction. Top rail 20x40 comes in well under 500 for frame.

p0opstlnksal0t

Looks like it consists of 2-1/8", 2", and 1-1/2" galvanized tube diameters. It has a better peak than hoops for snow load. And if I can get it discounted for no plastic it might be a little more expensive but still worth to me.

What is a cheap way of going about motorized light dep setups?

40x20GH9.jpg

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Looks like it consists of 2-1/8", 2", and 1-1/2" galvanized tube diameters. It has a better peak than hoops for snow load. And if I can get it discounted for no plastic it might be a little more expensive but still worth to me.

What is a cheap way of going about motorized light dep setups?

View Image

If you buried bigger pipes that would raise that thing up about 4-5 feet straight up that would be killer.

You could add those auto vents up at the peak.

Those slanted sides don't look conducive to weed growing to me and too low to work in for plant maintenance aisles at the side.

I don't think everyone considers that having a bunch of empty space up top helps a lot with heat and humidity stress on your dep.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Adding wiggle wire channels and hardware brings the price up substantially.
Ventilation is a big expense too.

p0opstlnksal0t

If you buried bigger pipes that would raise that thing up about 4-5 feet straight up that would be killer.

You could add those auto vents up at the peak.

Those slanted sides don't look conducive to weed growing to me and too low to work in for plant maintenance aisles at the side.

I don't think everyone considers that having a bunch of empty space up top helps a lot with heat and humidity stress on your dep.

One of the downfalls of needing some pitch and slope to a roof for shedding snow up here in maine

p0opstlnksal0t

Adding wiggle wire channels and hardware brings the price up substantially.
Ventilation is a big expense too.

I priced out wiggle wire around 100-200 additional per greenhouse.

Ya I know all the additional environmental controls are a bit of cost but as far as these frame kits vs building my own 20ft wide hoops house I think these kits might be better for me due to the peak for shedding snow and the cost isn't too bad considering ppl up here sell used dumpy old greenhouses this size for 2-3k even when the plastic needs replacing lol

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Architecturally, arches and geodesic domes are the strongest structures.

I haven't been through a winter yet, but once the snow slides of the steep part of the arch then the rest will follow. I see hoop houses all over Massachusetts surviving for years with plenty of snow. If you're worried, go for the thicker plastic covering.

Johnny's seeds in Maine sells hoop house supplies. Give them a call and see what they've learned over the years.

CrushnYuba

Really.. Just the straight sidewall greenhouses are bad for snow. Regular hoop quonsets aren't bad if they are less then 20ft wide. 30ft wide i would want to go gothic arch if there is snow.
It all just melts and slides off. Regular 6 mil plastic can hold allot of weight. It's really frame damage that becomes a problem.

Buddler

Veteran
Crushn Yuba awesome thread man all the info i needed ..Your a champ thanks for sharing all your skills.. Glad its a sticky .will be my reference manual when i start building in feb.

Great thread! Great info!

I'm putting up a 20x100 greenhouse. I think a pellet stove might be best to heat it like you have talked about Crushnyuba

These instructions are similar to bootstrapfarmer

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
My 1st greenhouse after a good spring storm. lol

picture.php

I had to pull it out of the bush twice (100 feet away) before I took it apart.

Lesson: Cheap out on it and you're wasting your time.