What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ALOE VERA

mad librettist

Veteran
ALOE VERA

other than people saying so, how did protekt ever get the pass as an emulsifier.

my tests indicate earlier and more creaming than with any other option commonly used.

use it for the silicon, but please do yourselves a favor and use anything else to emulsify your neem.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
CC1

Okay - fair enough. Let me define what I am calling an effective surfactant: An agent that when added to water will cause foaming in an amount necessary to cause the carrying liquid to stick to the leaves and branches for a period necessary to allow the carrying agent to be absorbed by the leaves"

If one uses Yucca extract then the amount of 'foaming' will cause the water to foam up not unlike flocking a Christmas tree. The more that you shake the sprayer the more foaming action you can achieve. Aloe vera has lower saponins resulting in less foaming action. Alfalfa tea has even less and it produces very little foaming action in this application. The foaming aspect in brewing AACT is well known and has been discussed on several threads.

Just do NOT ever add Yucca extract or aloe vera to the Pro-TeKt & neem mix as it will turn into a gel that you cannot break apart. Add whatever organic surfactant you're using after you've completed the initial mixing.

It's a mess to deal with.

CC
I was adding the 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water then mixing the aloe and yucca in. When I was using a lot more protekt I got the clumps bad...and then remembered you saying that.

I was using protekt as a surfactant in PM sprays because it's mild. In fact I spray protekt often as a PM deterant.

C

CC_2U

CC1

I add liquid silica to every reservoir of water, foliar sprays, etc. for the same reasons that you do - the Powdery Mildew deal.

Spurr and others have posted several links about the use of silica in general and horticultural environments as well.

CC

mad librettist

Veteran
well mine is gonna be used until the bottle is done, I'll let you know if I have any ill effect from quitting.

I will be using your rice trick to replace the silicon

btw have you noticed what protekt does to squashes? in that case, I say the results are dramatically cool

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
yea i'll admit i use dutch gold silica. i got a tester bottle as a freebie the first time i walked into a hydro shop. i think it will last me forever.

after that, the rice trick does sound promising. i'm also keeping an eye out for horsetail.

big_daddy

I used a brand that had citric acid and potassium sorbate. I didn't read the label because It said "organic" and I got it at Whole Foods....just goes to show. I didn't have any side effects,only positive results. Now I make my own from aloe leaves you can buy at Mexican grocery stores.

Here's a useful pdf file that explains the various benefits derived from the many different compounds in aloe vera. Potassium sorbate is a compound in aloe vera and not an additive. [page 1602/table 1].

I've had the leaves reaching for the lights as you've described and it also works for me as a stand alone rooting compound.

It would be interesting to see one the microscope guys use aloe vera (mannan) for a carb source in an AACT to see how the microbe counts compare to other sources. (if they haven't already)

cheers

b_d

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's a useful pdf file that explains the various benefits derived from the many different compounds in aloe vera. Potassium sorbate is a compound in aloe vera and not an additive. [page 1602/table 1].

the one i have (http://www.lilyofthedesert.com/our_products/item/inner-fillet-aloe-vera-juice/18) has Potassium sorbate(mold inhibitor) listed in other ingredients, and on the bottle it says 99% organic ingredients.

seems strange they would list it in other ingredients. I don't doubt the compound being in aloe, but maybe they added more to benefit from the ability to prevent mold?

h.h.

Veteran
I use silica mainly to deal with the heat. It stiffens up the plant, not sure how that matters but it does seem to help in the heat. I'd consider dropping it otherwise.
Aloe, I've been using around a month. Can't say I've seen a difference. I didn't when I used it before. It's got saponins...Seems there's inhibitory and stimulatory. Some are steroidal. Yucca is steroidal. I don't see aloe listed as such. As far as helping stuff stick, Bronners may be cheapest and most effective. Steroidal saponins seem to hold some promise in increasing plant yield. Having used both yucca and aloe, aloe I'll keep for my hands.
It begs the question as to how safe they may be. The
Indians that were relocated on the Mojave incorporated yucca into their diet and according to reports outgrew their parentage. I doubt much carries through into the final product in our case.
Aqve is said to also contain lots of steroidal saponins.
Was looking at a large pile of a few hundred pounds that was pulled a few months back
Piss ants are crawling about suggesting sugar content. The root were still coated with what I guess to be myco incrustation. While the sap is burning with acidity and not naturally sweet, it has to be dumping sugar into the soil. Need to go back and get some from the middle, hopefully nicely fermented. Might have to taste it first.

C

CC_2U

yourcorpse

I'll share with you what I learned from the 'marketing dude' at Improve USA, Inc. who claimed that they're a 'major player' in the aloe vera powdered extract.

Aloe vera contains high levels of "benzoic acid" which is the base of 'Sodium Benzoate' and it's this specific compound (benzoic acid) that has to be dealt with almost immediately once the juice/gel is extracted - like < 20 minutes.

Agents are added to the mix which converts (whatever the correct term is among chemists) the benzoic acid to Sodium Benzoate. This is the standard procedure.

According to 'the dude' Sodium Benzoate prevents mold - i.e. a fungicide.

Citric acid and/or Potassium sorbate is added to arrest and stop the natural fermentation process.

So...................

This is why you'll find 'organic' versions of aloe vera with Sodium Benzoate, Citric Acid and Potassium Sorbate on the label.

By reading you can eliminate up to 2 of these agents - specifically Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate by using a relatively new product line from Lily of The Desert that they call "Preservative-Free Aloe Vera Juice" which it isn't - it contains Citric Acid. Eh?

But that's an acid produced by plants for assimilating Phosphorus so I can give that a pass - YMMV.

There is a version of aloe vera that is completely free from any and all preservatives or fungicides and that is products like the ones from Improve USA, Inc. These type of products are manufactured for the food, health and beauty aids, etc. manufacturing sectors.

Their process is once the gel is extracted it's immediately dried and then meshed and packed - again according to 'the dude'

This version comes in 3 versions - 50XX, 100XX and 200XX and what those numbers mean is that if you took 1 gram of the 50XX product and added 49 grams of water you'd end up with 50 grams of pure aloe vera gel.

Same deal with the 100XX and the 200XX versions - 1 gram of 200XX mixed with 199 grams of water = 200 grams of pure, preservative-free aloe vera extract. This is the product that I'm using along with the liquid product from Lily of The Desert.

HTH

CC

h.h.

Veteran
Did the dude also own a hydro store? Not wanting to troll all I see is hype transferred from the human market to the plant market. I won't say for clones, but otherwise the stuff is an expensive way to water that does nothing to aid plant growth. Don't care what it has, it does not work.

C

CC_2U

There's no hype at all - unless it's between your ears.

'The Dude" had absolutely no idea about the use of aloe vera as a 'fertilizer' or anything else. Their business is extracting aloe vera gel/juice/extract and ship it in a form for the industries that I mentioned.

They/he could care less about organic growers investigating their product line. If every f*cking organic grower in the USA decided that aloe vera products were 'da sh*t' it wouldn't amount to didly-squat for this industry. Besides this company the main players are out of Mexico - about 10 actually. And another 15 or so in the USA and then there's China and India and not to forget North Africa and Central America.

Too many sheep to shear at the local health-food stores.

Thanks for asking!

CC

h.h.

Veteran
It is still a waste. We are the ones transferring the hype. Why? The benefit is purely as a foliar and then only for it's soap properties. There are better alternatives as well as cheaper ones.We talk of gurus, well this is no different.Show me the documentation and let me know of any farmer heading to the health store to acquire some. They don't use it for orchards or any other high or low dollar hobby grow. I think you mentioned some obscure Australian study that went nowhere.
Thanks for attending.

cyat

Veteran
bottled aloe is nothin like the fresh leaf. I always have at least one aloe plant.

C

CC_2U

I think you mentioned some obscure Australian study that went nowhere.

I certainly did not post anything like that.

Voices in your head do not constitute facts - other than maybe to you.

Aren't you the guy who arrived on this venue chirping for some crap out of Fortuna? Or did I read your postings incorrectly and without the understanding which obviously must come from your definitions?

Other folks call your deal 'a straw man argument' - basic Debate 101 at Dog Turd High School.

Thanks for sharing.

CC

h.h.

Veteran
and what does any of that have to do with aloe. You're talking in circles and saying nothing about it's actual value. Of course there isn't much to say.

C

CC_2U

I posted the value(s) contained in Aloe Vera and I structured my post for anyone with an 8th grade level of reading could understand or at least could take that information and look for further information/explanation.

You're contribution amounted to this, per se, "It is still a waste" which I suppose is based on your experience of tossing rotted material into a cistern, aerating it for a week or so and calling it an AACT.

Thanks for sharing once again.

CC

h.h.

Veteran
It consisted of using fermented as well as fresh. Added to the water and applied to the soil, split open after picking 5 feet away. It also consists of prior experience with off the health food shelf. I found " rotted" in a bucket at least had a little compost value.
Enough about me now. I'm turning red.
Let's talk about aloe and saponins. Kind of like saying bacteria. What saponins and what specifically does each specific type do? It does not provide anything else of any importance at any significant amount.
There are far better sources for what it does have. It is redundant and pointless.