What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Philippine Kalinga

G

Good day Dubi!

Excellent work as usual ! The Kalinga is very very nice, and I wonder how it will perform indoor. The Sagada did not so well for us indoor but maybe they are outdoor strains?

Can't wait to see your report on Sagada sativa. Is Chongkee registered here?

Good vibes !

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
High FilsdeCrao friend! :wave:

It's great to see you around!

We have had a windy and dry week and the harvested Kalingas are drying quite fast. I've been manicuring them carefully saving all the P2 seeds i made. Im happy, i think i have about 100-200 seeds from each parent (1 and 3), enough to keep working with the line.

I did some early test smokes and Kalinga mother 1 (the taller one and less purple) is very very nice smoke.

Buds are very voluminous but quite fluffy. Kalinga 1 has a decent flower leaf ratio. The big leaf is green but the flowers and leaf around are completly purple. I've been manicuring them and Kalinga 1 has a very high resin content (i understand why they can be real good sativa hash plants). I could enjoyed 2-3 joints of creamy finger hash.

Kalinga 1 aroma is very exotic: elegantly floral and perfumy. The high is up, euphoric and clean at first. It put a big smile in my face. My girl enjoyed a lot her happy effects. The up part is not very long lasting (45 minutes aprox) but the down is pleasant and not dirty.

Kalinga 3 (more compact, purple and fast flowering female) is less interesting. The leaf ratio is worse than her sister 1. Aroma is bitterer and not so floral. I overmatured her to produce very fertile seeds so the high is less cerebral and more relaxed.

Kalinga 4 ( the remaining lonely female who didnt wanna flower) is finally forming colas and is going to be pollinated with haze pollen.

After study a little bit her aromas, resins, kind of high and potency i'd say the Kalinga has very good potential, especially descendants from parent 1.

I'm going to try P2 Kalinga seeds i've produced for next season. I hope the hermie rates decrease and looking for more interesting and powerful purple Kalinga parents.

I think it will take lot of selections and work to find a kalinga expression that can work indoors in pure form. Kalinga hybrids could make a very good job.

have a nice day! dubi

Last edited:

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
Sounds like I need to visit the Philippines for some pure genetics! :p I live in Asia. I was actually thinking about heading over there in April. Definitely an enjoyable read

cyburnt

Finally! Something about Philipino beanos

Finally! Something about Philipino beanos

Had these seeds gifted to me a while ago. Allegedly They are of a "rare" Philippine land-race (suposedly grown by soldiers brought over from Thailand):chin: . Since this thread is bound to be swarming with Sativa heads, I thought I'd toss this one in for opinions. :joint: These two girls were just switched to 12/12. The leaves were among the thinnest I've seen when they were young. Anyone think these bitches look familiar? I like the one on the right. :yummy:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
High all!

Thanks Ganico and jamesbrow! Kalinga sativa has been a surprise from past season. It was a little difficult avoid the hermie parents but i finally reproduced her using 2 nice females and 3 males, all are hermie free. I hope the P2 generation i have produced will show highest quality and lower hermie rates than the original seeds i recived.

Im quite surprise by the Kalinga's terpene density. Aromas are real dense and taste lasts for a while .... i have found very few unselected 'landrace sativas' with such terpene quality. Resin production is real good although flower density is low.

Effect is quite similar in 2 mothers, it puts a happy smile in your face for an hour, happy effect without paranoia or anxiety, and the last part is relaxed and pleasant. Kalinga 3 is a little bit 'clearer' in the first part of high and produced very intense dark/red colours at late flowering.

Kalinga 3 has better terpene density, higher yield and denser effect.

cyburnt, thanks for share your philippine sat! Looks divine!

Do you know the zone of origin? Any other info about your genetics would be very apreciated ... please keep us updated during the flowering! dubi

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
dubi said:
cyburnt, thanks for share your philippine sat! Looks divine!

Do you know the zone of origin? Any other info about your genetics would be very apreciated ... please keep us updated during the flowering! dubi

Dubi-

Cyburnt has the same seeds you are working from, I do believe. They came by way of HazeLover circa Fall 2005 and eventually made their way to Cy.
:joint:

Really great thread!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Dignan said:
Dubi-

Cyburnt has the same seeds you are working from, I do believe. They came by way of HazeLover circa Fall 2005 and eventually made their way to Cy.
:joint:

Really great thread!

Hello Dignan,

The seeds i grew came from Chongkee, a philippine friend. He sent 4 different philippine sativas: 2 from Kalinga (i reproduced one past season), 1 from Sagada and other from unknown origin.

Smokey tayo has been very generous sending me some of his 'baguio gold' and other mountain sativa. I think we have philippine genes to work with for a decade :chin:

cyburnt, how is growing your philippine sativa? :yummy:

moe

very interesting tread dubi (like always :))
how do u think we can keep seeds in a dry and dark environement to use it later ?

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Hello Dignan,

The seeds i grew came from Chongkee, a philippine friend. He sent 4 different philippine sativas: 2 from Kalinga (i reproduced one past season), 1 from Sagada and other from unknown origin.

Ah, okay. Sounded above like you had gotten them from hazelover. Yeah, definitely a lot of Philly-sourced genetics circulating right now. Great stuff.

hazelover

these strains need your help

these strains need your help

im so happy dubi doing his bit for these strains well done buddy.
times are very hard for pinoy planters these days!
estimates ive heard from locals claim 70% of local rare sativas have been distroyed dam!
thanks to the usa new donated helicoptors!
[grounded right now due to poor safety.]
times got even harder with local battles going on between the NPA and the army.
with many more dying due to risks in walking in the mountains!to tend there plants.
i saw this on UK420.

ABOUT P90 million worth of marijuana was uprooted and destroyed by combined police and military personnel in Tinglayan, Kalinga over the weekend.

Superintendent Oliver Enmodias, regional director of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (Pdea) in Cordillera, said the eradication operation was conducted within a 15,000-square meter plantation at Mt. Bitolayongan, Loccong, Tinglayan, Kalinga on April 26

Enmodias said his men and military personnel uprooted about 450,000 fully-grown marijuana plants.

He said a joint eradication operation was first conducted in Tinglayan from March 15 to 27, which resulted in the destruction of P21 million worth of the same cannabis sativa plants.

However, during the earlier operation, Enmodias said successive gunshots were heard, fired upon either directly or indirectly against their operating troops.

"It was assessed that marijuana cultivators or protectors in that area were in possession of high-powered firearms," he explained.

For that reason, they only uprooted and destroyed P21 million worth of marijuana and decided not to proceed to other target areas sighted at that time, which was located at the other side of the mountain, he said.

But, with the utilization of military helicopters, Enmodias said they returned on Thursday to finish the operation. (ENO)

wonder how many lovely strains like this have gone forever? makes me sad.

can someone pls tell me why i could use my pm last time but now ive been told i dont have enough posts?
sorry i cant check my posts if you sent to me.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
High all!

moe, you can store seeds inside a dark hermetic plastic box with silica gel to absorbe any possible moisture. If you have a good fridge then you can also put the box inside with temps between 5-10ºC, they should be fertile for years.

Hazelover, it's great to see you around again!

It's very sad to hear your news about the philippine programme for marijuana eradication. When i was trying to get info about pinoy strains on the net i only found reports of marijuana eradications in local newspapers, but nothing about their real cannabis culture. I read in a report that 80 % of annual eradications were done in Kalinga and 20 % in Sagada. Both places must be the main producers, being Luzon the island with bigger production.

It's a shame anti cannabis governments like Philippines are applying extreme prohibition and violence against farmers. Prohibition and violence only produces more pain and violence, that's why philippine cannabis cultivation is under control of guns and mafia. Sad, because there's no benefit for the country, farmers and smokers get the worst part, but it's negative for the freedom and respect of all the population.

hazelover, you must write 50 posts before have access to your pms. It's a new rule here at Icmag. Talking soon friend.

Ganico

Veteran
hazelover said:
16694IMG_0227.JPG

Damn, what strain is that???

moe

dubi said:
High all!

moe, you can store seeds inside a dark hermetic plastic box with silica gel to absorbe any possible moisture. If you have a good fridge then you can also put the box inside with temps between 5-10ºC, they should be fertile for years.

and without fridge and a good store with silica years too ?
thanks

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
moe said:
and without fridge and a good store with silica years too ?
thanks

Humid climates are a problem to save fertile seeds but if your weather is dry then put simply the plastic box with gel silica and seeds in a dark and dry place. It's enough to save them for a few years. I hope it helps! dubi