What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maui Wowie

LostTribe

Premium user
Ahhh no. Best stuff from Norcal? Just no. Anyone with half a brain, and looking at both, can tell them apart. Hawaii is a thousand miles closer to the Equator than Cali. They're easy to tell apart even without lighting up.

Ozs for $300. All day long. That's just the way it was back then. Then the "80's rolled along and it got even better.... or worse depending on what side of the transaction you were on. Once Green Harvest got going.....it was worth more than gold.

See, I was there. It was a great time to grow up in a great place. Things were different back then. Much more black and white.

So I'm almost bummed to inform you guys that Maui Wowie is a ghost, a wisp of fog, with no substance, shape or form. Allow me to explain, for not the first time, the way this worked way back when.

View Image

Taken from one of my albums.
Here is a strain from way back when. Grown a decade ago this is a strain we called Elephant. It traveled to Maui, back in the 70's in a pound of gold Mexican weed that was sold to some random dude that parted it out all over the island. He called it Alcopoco (sp) Gold but who the hell really knows.

Since we have three individual growing seasons progress was quick. Also due to climate differences, soon sisters began to differentiate themselves from each other. A decade later, this is what I have.

View Image

Back in the day I shipped a ton of this shit to the mainland. I would call it Elephant. But a neat trick happens as soon as this goodie leaves the 808. It becomes.... Maui Wowie. Neat huh?

It happens with anything grown here. Backstory dust, now it's Maui wowie! Anything like Elephant grown on Maui was just too fuckin' complicated for the masses.

Unscrupulous people like Mauna Pua will try to make a buck off the name. Sell random Hawaiian? bagseed for top dollar? Gotta admit it's not a bad racket if you don't care for either your customers or your culture. Just whore 'em all out. And here's something they don't tell you. Those old strains? They yield a lot, but compared to what's out there now, they don't really stand up. There is a reason why they have fell out of favor..... it wasn't an accident that they didn't get carried forward. We found something better.

I hear the same thing from Ohana on Big Island. Just like the Budders in Puna. Whatever them haole's looking for they've got it. Sure maybe it was grown in Puna but there isn't just one strain or cut.

buzzmobile

Veteran
The Maui Wowie #4 plant is dried and jarred. The buds are dense and they scented the room of leather while finishing the dry. There's not much of any fragrance or scent when the jar is opened. The buzz is good not great. I'll enjoy the smoke from this one, but it won't make another run. All in all it's a Ho Hum.

The Maui Wowie #5 plant is at the beginning of the 6th week of flower and it's looking very much the same as the #4 plant. Maui Wowie #1 plant is beginning its 3rd week of flower and it is developed floral and fruity fragrances. It has much different structure from the #4 & #5 plants.

kalopatchkid

Veteran
If you lifeguarded there, we likely ran into each other. I spent alot of time in or on the water or just talkin story there with friends. Did the same as you married a mainland girl and relocated to California. Doing my time for now.

No idea what strain the Hilo backyard is. Heres the story behind it though. It was well camo'd in a small patch of bamboo when i first saw it. My future landlady was pointing out the boundary of the new place i was gonna rent and pointed right to it. I crossed my fingers hoping it would be there when i moved in a couple weeks later (it was the current tenants plant). It was about 8 feet tall in june. When i moved in, the plant had been cut and only about 8 inches of the main stem were left in the grow bag. Put chicken poo in and sure enough was able to clone it a couple weeks later. Plants regenerate and grow fast in Hilo. Crossed to my favorite Swazi strain twice to have it in seed form.

Based on the looks of the plant, the growth pattern and its effects my guess is southeast asian. I planted one of the clones (poked it in the ground) in the forest in upper puna in early august just to see if it would make it. The thing got enormous. It was easily 6 feet wide and. more than 12 feet tall by mid december when i finally pulled it. It was not ompletely done when harvested. It was just too cold, too wet and too far to hike for just one plant, when all the others had been harvested by the 3rd week of November.

Did finish small clones in the backyard in january or so. The high was crystal clear. In fact I'd go in phases between wondering if i was high or not and the minute i thought i wasn't i was reminded how high i really was. It wasn't quite as energetic as the Swazi, it just kind of put you in your own world, trying to figure out what reality really was. Very introspective and thought enhancing but not so trippy that it wasnt controllable. The best part was the comedown. There was none. It just cleanly faded and you were left grinning about what just happened. Sorry to ramble on. Not Portagee.

I grew up down at Richardsons, lived right across the street till I left for college. Did you ever happen to come across the Johnny D strain? Would have been late 90's or early 2000's when it was popular. As far as I know it was a Hilo/Hamakua strain and it was really dank, people would always notice how flavorful it was in a joint. People have said it is a cambodian/thai cross and supposed to be extinct by now.

Lolo94

I grew up down at Richardsons, lived right across the street till I left for college. Did you ever happen to come across the Johnny D strain? Would have been late 90's or early 2000's when it was popular. As far as I know it was a Hilo/Hamakua strain and it was really dank, people would always notice how flavorful it was in a joint. People have said it is a cambodian/thai cross and supposed to be extinct by now.

The name doesn't ring a bell. Sounds like great genetics though. Had some friends from Papaikou area who had nice smoke but they never mentioned the name.

S

Sertaiz

hehehe, just met a dude on the big island who told me his friend c***invented maui wowie back in the day and im forgetting the last name, w******** maybe. dude had another more common last name as well.
but i was told he was part of the post woodstock music scene and lives on big island??? so i dunno, just some hearsay.
i repeated what i have read here and was told that he knows the true story......
interesting....

Last edited:

grayeyes

You can get MW in Mr. Greengene's version at Swami's. It is called Cherry Bomb. I am about to grow it myself.

I don't think you would be happy with Reeferman's as it is said to be hermie prone. Mr. G's is not.