What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vietnamese Black / Meao Thai

greene

Have a couple of these just finishing up and they are definitely a keeper. Love the complex smells, colors and effect. Have made a few crosses that I hope to have the time and space to work with later on. Thanks you Ace & Dubi, I searched for viet black genetics for years until I found them at a great price and availability, the cross with meow thai is great. I've had two phenos show so far, both fruity, one more on the citrus-strawberry side with earthy tones and the other very strawberry pez scented which has shown the most colors from the low temps and finishing weeks. Hope to get a hold of Pie de pato antes que desparece. :D ;) So little space, such unknown time.

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
Have a couple of these just finishing up and they are definitely a keeper. Love the complex smells, colors and effect. Have made a few crosses that I hope to have the time and space to work with later on. Thanks you Ace & Dubi, I searched for viet black genetics for years until I found them at a great price and availability, the cross with meow thai is great. I've had two phenos show so far, both fruity, one more on the citrus-strawberry side with earthy tones and the other very strawberry pez scented which has shown the most colors from the low temps and finishing weeks. Hope to get a hold of Pie de pato antes que desparece. :D ;) So little space, such unknown time.

Hmm.. ya just motivated me to grab another pack of these. I never found a strawberry pez pheno but I'll be on the look out :tiphat:

DemonPigeon

Veteran
Here's some shots of my keeper from the last release of these, (This is it early flowering I didn't get any colouring during flowering at all which was a shame but I love how well it bushes out and clones)

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
Yeaa.. seems they're not being offered anymore
Sorry, G. I'd just assumed...
Gerard!
https://www.seedboutique.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=651
Check the link above! These are still being offered at Seedboutique..
Best of luck :)
Thanks for the assist, K.

My limited experience with VbT-

I started 5 VbT seeds, 3 germed, and got 1 lady. She seemed very Vb-leaning... dark green leaves, spindly branches, and smelled like dirt/hummus. She finished in 13 weeks. (btw, I got near 100% germination from all my other seeds/strains, so don't know what lead to VbT's low germ rate)

Along side her I grew out my 1 OE bonsai mum, also Vb-leaning. I took her to 14 weeks when first grown from seed, and the clone-mum finished in 12.

Effects-wise, at least from this extremely small sample, I'm kinda liking the OE better- the VbT's (pheno) high is chill, quiet, and introspective. The OE, when the volcano is set to 170C, gives a nice bit of sativa fuego, felt in your core, with a fairly clear head. When the volcano is set to 190C the OE gives a pretty nice hybrid effect- a little "boozy" and fun.

Yield was far better with OE.

I hit both the VbT and the OE with NJ pollen, and I'm wanting to pop the OExNJ beans first, hoping I can find something Jam-leaning, with the other three genetic ingredients rounding out the high.

Bottom line- there are other strains at Ace worth looking into, and some with even shorter-flowering times/better yields.

cheers

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
Sorry, G. I'd just assumed...
Thanks for the assist, K.

My limited experience with VbT-

I started 5 VbT seeds, 3 germed, and got 1 lady. She seemed very Vb-leaning... dark green leaves, spindly branches, and smelled like dirt/hummus. She finished in 13 weeks. (btw, I got near 100% germination from all my other seeds/strains, so don't know what lead to VbT's low germ rate)

Along side her I grew out my 1 OE bonsai mum, also Vb-leaning. I took her to 14 weeks when first grown from seed, and the clone-mum finished in 12.

Effects-wise, at least from this extremely small sample, I'm kinda liking the OE better- the VbT's (pheno) high is chill, quiet, and introspective. The OE, when the volcano is set to 170C, gives a nice bit of sativa fuego, felt in your core, with a fairly clear head. When the volcano is set to 190C the OE gives a pretty nice hybrid effect- a little "boozy" and fun.

Yield was far better with OE.

I hit both the VbT and the OE with NJ pollen, and I'm wanting to pop the OExNJ beans first, hoping I can find something Jam-leaning, with the other three genetic ingredients rounding out the high.

Bottom line- there are other strains at Ace worth looking into, and some with even shorter-flowering times/better yields.

cheers

My experience with the VbT was similar to yours. I'm guessing the strawberry pheno is coming from the Thai? Anyway when you say there's other strains worth looking into are you referring to the OE? Ya seem to really like it

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Vietnam Black Thai is out of stock at the moment but you still can find her .... some ace seeds' distributors still stock a few packs from past releases.

It's one of my favourite sativa x thai hybrids, the best one in terms of earliness and yield, the best phenos are the vietnam black dominant ones, in fact some expressions were almost or very very close to the original Vietnam Black mother. The strawberry aromas come from the recombination of vietnamese genetics, the thai has not this kind of terpene profile.

DemonPigeon

Veteran
That's really interesting Dubi, I suppose there's no chance of us seeing a release of a backcross of these to the VB? Or any kind of pure VB seeds?

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Vietnam Black Thai is out of stock at the moment but you still can find her .... some ace seeds' distributors still stock a few packs from past releases.

It's one of my favourite sativa x thai hybrids, the best one in terms of earliness and yield, the best phenos are the vietnam black dominant ones, in fact some expressions were almost or very very close to the original Vietnam Black mother. The strawberry aromas come from the recombination of vietnamese genetics, the thai has not this kind of terpene profile.

I'm interested in the Vietnam Black or VB x Thai, and the Oaxacan 79 x Oaxacan over at Cannabiogen. Looks like a race to see which company has their fresh seeds first.

Wait a minute... how about Vietnam Black x Oaxacan79?

Mmmm... huh. :chin:

:biggrin:

Last edited:

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
I'm interested in the Vietnam Black or VB x Thai, and the Oaxacan 79 x Oaxacan over at Cannabiogen. Looks like a race to see which company has their fresh seeds first.

Wait a minute... how about Vietnam Black x Oaxacan79?

Mmmm... huh. :chin:

:biggrin:

I've said the same thing. No doubt it would produce some amazing herb.

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
My experience with the VbT was similar to yours. I'm guessing the strawberry pheno is coming from the Thai? Anyway when you say there's other strains worth looking into are you referring to the OE? Ya seem to really like it
I never thought of a strawberry taste before in my VbT, but now that you mention it:thank you:, I can detect a light strawberry flavor that's had its sweetness removed- a light dry strawberriness.

My experience with OE is from growing just one seed, but I certainly liked what I got. :) Still have 14 more. VbT and NepJam are the only other Ace genetics I've grown out so far, and I only ended up with one female of each, from 5 and 3 seeds, respectively. These would be examples I was referring to for quick finishers. Other potential fast-finishers I have here, waiting for soil, are Bangi Haze and Nepal Haze.

btw, I used a VbT male to make lots of crosses, with: Orient Express, C99bx1, several phenos of F13, KandyKushxSkunk#1*, JohnnyBlaze, X18, Taskenti, ChocolateRain, LaughingBuddha*, etc.

* these were feminized. looking forward to seeing what kind of M/F ratios I get from the seeds. Really looking forward to the LaughingBuddhaxVbT results, and probable F2s.

Last edited:

DemonPigeon

Veteran
Your seed stash sounds awesome man :)

F13 VBT cross? You're shoving all the landrace sativa genetics of the 70's together there :p

I'm making crosses to a Bruised Nuts and am looking forward to seeing the outcome :)

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
Johnny blaze, X18, n F13 are all excellent lines. Look forward to seeing how they blend with the Vbt. If you have the room it would definitely be worth line breeding the Vbt to an F3 before pollination. Either way I hope ya make a ton of seeds with them! :tiphat:

LowFalutin

Stems Analyst
Veteran
Thanks DemonPigeon! Never heard of Bruised Nuts before, so thanks for the intro. :) ...as I stumble off bow-legged.

Johnny blaze, X18, n F13 are all excellent lines. Look forward to seeing how they blend with the Vbt. If you have the room it would definitely be worth line breeding the Vbt to an F3 before pollination. Either way I hope ya make a ton of seeds with them! :tiphat:
Thanks for the advice, GB! The x18 (on its own) is even a little bit clear trippy, an unexpected bonus. My VbT's package date is 16/10/12, at which point they were F3 already?...

The Bangi's should be nice breeders, at around F6 now.

cheers, and sorry I can't rep ya's any more at this point