What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grow Lab: The quest for Infinite Resin

justiceman

Veteran
looking good! these pics make my mouth water!

Nice that's exactly the kind of thing I want my pictures to do. Thanks for checking out my grow trax! I was bored and started messing around with some nug shots. Let me know what you guys think!
Day428-1.jpg

justiceman

Veteran
Super Soil

Super Soil

Hey everyone so I decided to mix up a super soil earlier today. I cannot wait to see the results. The idea is to fill half of a container with super soil from the bottom up and the other half with your average potting soil like FFOF/LW mix. Some people do 3/4 if the strain requires tons of food, but it is possible you might burn your babies if you put that much. The super Soil is extremely hot! That is why the top half is normal potting soil so the plant can begin to work it's way down to soil that is higher in fertility.

If done correctly the mix should not need any additional fertilizer. It is all a slow release mix that should last all throughout veg and flower. It should not need any cal mag either. Just pure water and of course molasses every now and then, and maybe some compost teas to ensure a thriving micro heard. I have read that if one starts to encounter deficiencies later into flower you need only top dress with some super soil and water it in or of course you can begin adding your preferred type of food. I have also heard adding a slight PK booster at the end can't hurt.

The key after mixing is to let it "cook" for 2-4 weeks in order to let some of the raw nutrients break down a bit from microbial action, and to let the fungi and bacteria settle and increase in size ensuring you have thriving soil biology by the time you decide to use it. I plan to just put it in a 40 gal tote from wal mart for storage but for now I just put a blue tarp over my kiddie pool.

In order to allow it to cook one must add a bit of water to the soil mix in order to let the fungi and bacteria live and thrive, because if you let it dry out to much they go dormant or die off, but if you add too much water you might encourage anaerobic conditions witch = pathogens and such. I plan to possibly water the soil with a very light soluble kelp solution(in order to feed the soil).

I love this kind of stuff. Instead of planting into a ready to go potting soil I literally mixed it with my own hands and put my own energy into it. I feel that it should work quite well and I beleive this is the true way of organics. Building and nurturing soil feels great. It put's me at peace and it smells great!

Here is the mix I used.

Super Soil

Two 1.5 cubic ft FFOF, and One 1 cubic ft LW(4 cubic ft total)

6.25-12.5lbs. worm castings
1.67lb (26.7oz) Steamed Bone Meal (0-10-0)
1.67lb (26.7oz) Bat Guano (Fruit bat- High P)
1.67lb (26.7oz) Blood Meal
1lb (16oz) Rock Phosphate
4 TBS Epsom Salts
1/4 cup and 4 tsp of Sweet Lime (Powdered Dolomite)
1/4 cup and 4 tsp of Azomite (Trace Elements)
2 tsp Powdered Humic Acid(Instead I added 1 cup of down to earth humate soil conditioner, and 3lb of GH diamond black witch says to use 2 to 4 oz of granular per gal of soil and 4 cubic ft is about 30 gal worth)

Here are some pictures. I meant to take a picture with all the additives on top of the soil pile but I smoked to much and ended up mixing it right away. Only after I finished mixing I realized that I should have taken a pic. Oh well I apologize, but next time I do it I will get that picture as well. I do have a pic of the FFOF with LW, and then a pic of the super soil completed as well as a pic of all the additives in there respective bags and containers. Here they are.

IMG_0620.jpg

I bought a cheap plastic kiddie pool in order to mix up the soil easily. I only needed to use a shovel and the lips of the pool make harder to spill soil over the edges. Keeps everything together. Love the idea.
IMG_0627.jpg

Everything is all mixed up nice and even. All I need to do is add a bit of Kelp water, and then throw it in a tote to let it cook for a few weeks.
IMG_0629.jpg

dachieftan

SUPER SOIL

SUPER SOIL

yeah brother I used the super soil recipe with great success. SUBCOOL is da man! Did a side by side comparison of super soil v.s. regular soil for green crack and their was a major discrepancy in overall growth and weight.:yay:
I'm pretty sure there was @ least a quarter z more for each plant that had super soil vs. each plant that didn't but I don't remember...
I used "bloombastic" by ATAMI PK booster as well. Bloombastic was the only nutrient I added during the whole grow. I will have to try out your advice and mix in some molasses and guano/kelp teas.:bump:
The only thing I did different from your recipe is I used roots organics soil and chose not to put in the guano b/c roots soil already has guano and worm castings and I didn't want to make my soil too hot. Also i didn't use any humic acid...
Remember... The longer the soil "cooks" the closer you can put the roots in direct contact with the super soil w/o burning them. I had some super soil cooking for about 4 months that sat in a tote in a dark room. As an experiment, I successfully cloned a cutting into straight super soil!

I love how candid, concise you are with temps, humidity, nutrient levels. Keep it up man

justiceman

Veteran
yeah brother I used the super soil recipe with great success. SUBCOOL is da man! Did a side by side comparison of super soil v.s. regular soil for green crack and their was a major discrepancy in overall growth and weight.:yay:
I'm pretty sure there was @ least a quarter z more for each plant that had super soil vs. each plant that didn't but I don't remember...
I used "bloombastic" by ATAMI PK booster as well. Bloombastic was the only nutrient I added during the whole grow. I will have to try out your advice and mix in some molasses and guano/kelp teas.:bump:
The only thing I did different from your recipe is I used roots organics soil and chose not to put in the guano b/c roots soil already has guano and worm castings and I didn't want to make my soil too hot. Also i didn't use any humic acid...
Remember... The longer the soil "cooks" the closer you can put the roots in direct contact with the super soil w/o burning them. I had some super soil cooking for about 4 months that sat in a tote in a dark room. As an experiment, I successfully cloned a cutting into straight super soil!

I love how candid, concise you are with temps, humidity, nutrient levels. Keep it up man

Awesome man I am glad to hear the Super Soil worked out for ya because it is such an awesome mix isn't it! And Thank you for the compliment! I definitely try to keep everything consistent so that if I run into problems it will be easier to analyze and define the problem.

Ya i heard that subcool would use a PK booster at the very end such as the one you just mentioned. I have been actually wanting to try atami's bloombastic PK booster so I will probably get it for when I use that mix.

Yes I beleive the original recipe calls for Roots Soil, but I couldn't get any so I ended up using the 2/1 FFOF/LW mix to hopefully mimic the Roots(since FFOF is hot LW brings it down)

Interesting so you didn't add the guano in your mix? Did you start to see any deficiencies towards the end of flower from the lack of P, or did your roots Soil(with guano), and bloombastic cover the P end of nutes so that the guano would have been overkill?

Hey man thanks for the advice about cooking the soil! So the longer you cook it the easier it is on the roots. Nice tip for sure.

One question though. So when you just let it sit in the tote for 4 months are you supposed to periodically add water or open the lid every once in a while for the microbes or do you just literally put it in the tote and forget about it for that long?

justiceman

Veteran
Day 49(Week 7 Flower)

Hey everyone so it looks like we are soon coming to the finish line! 7 weeks in and I am guessing she will be done at 63 days(9 weeks), but maybe a tad longer. What do you guys think? I can really tell how the aroma has come out more in these later weeks. They have a sweet hashy smell, along with an undertone of spice. For some reason the runt has much more fruity smell much like a grape but no spice what so ever witch I find quite odd in comparison to the rest. Not to mention she is actually exhibiting some purple hues on her calyxes(I didn't take a pic I'll get one up later) witch none of the others are doing. I am pretty convinced that she might be a different strain altogether, or maybe from a different mom?

So I am going to back off of the Soul nutes. I think I will do one last watering with some molasses, some Roots Organics HPK guano and then call it quits for the nutes. So after tomorrow I will only be giving them water and molasses for the 1st week of "flush" and then just water for the last week of "flush".

Here is what I have been feeding them as of late(PeaK as of late for sure)

Feeding(5/19/10)
note:all doses are per 3 gal but sometimes the exact water amount changes
8ml cal mag
30ml bloom
25ml infinity
20ml bigswell
30ml Peak
27ml cannazym
60ml humega
PPM=1060(about 2.1EC)
PH 5.88
Temp: 20 celsius

Feeding(5/21/10)
note: all doses are per 3 gal
110ppm cal mag
30ml bloom
20ml infinity
20ml bigswell
20ml Peak
27ml cannazym
60ml humega
PPM=1050(2.1EC)
Temp:19

Feeding(5/23/10)
note: all doses are per 3 gal(this was a little bit less in order to get 2.2EC)
110ppm cal mag
30ml bloom
20ml infinity
20ml bigswell
20ml Peak
27ml cannazym
60ml humega
PPM=11000(2.2EC)
Temp:18

So I managed to get them up to 2.2EC. I noticed very small burnt tips on some of the leave so they seem to be well fed for the most part. And their is obvious "heat stress" although I still don't know how that happened since my temps never hit over 78. Hmm maybe my temp gauge is inaccurate or they don't like it at 78 sometimes. I have also heard that high salt conditions coupled with warmth causes leaf fringes to stand, so It could be because of the high amount of Ionics in the medium as well. Overall though this grow has gone quite problem free for the most part, and I can't wait to harvest and make some budder or some bubble:jump:

Alright guys here are the pictures.

Day shots
Day492.jpg

Day491.jpg

Day493.jpg

Day494.jpg

Night shots
Day496.jpg

Day497.jpg

Day49.jpg

Day499.jpg

So whatcha thank?! 9 weeks? I say 63-65 days.

justiceman

Veteran
What are the trichs like? Those flowers look great!

Hey thanks man! The trichs are started to get some milkyness to them but they are still mostly clear, and slightly milky. I have read from multiply sites that Hindu Skunk usually finishes in 9 weeks(63 days)

-------------------

Veg tent Update

So my lazy self finally finished wiring up the veg tent as well as cutting the fan holes and such. I sure took my sweet time didn't I? But I'm in no rush so I'm not worried about it.

The shell is a 54"H x 48"L x 18"W. The tent's guts consist of one 4' four bulb t5 fixture with 6500k's on the bottom for mothers, and two 4' two bulb t8 fixtures on the top for starts, clones, seeds, etc.

I used two 120mm PC fans as the intake and 2 120mm PC fans as the exhaust. I also used one 120mm PC fan on each side of the flouro's to provide some air movement and to cool the bulbs a bit so that is a total of 8 120mm PC fans. As for the actual wire I used speaker wire(err gauge 24 i beleive?) to wire the fans together. From what I understand I wired them parallel instead of inline so that If one fan goes out the others will still run.

I used two tarp zippers to create a door, and the bottom flap seals together via magnetic tape. I have still yet to figure out the best way to cover up the fans(from letting light in) without restricting their limited air flow, but I will get to it soon. I figure even IF a little light gets in it shouldn't really affect plants inside since it will be a veg tent and not a flower tent.

Let me know what you guys think!

Here are some pictures for ya.

The front(gotta love Beeline, and GH)
IMG_0697.jpg

Inside
IMG_0702.jpg

Exhaust fans
IMG_0695.jpg

Right intake fan
IMG_0692.jpg

Left intake fan from inside
IMG_0703.jpg

Left air movement fan for t8's
IMG_0706.jpg

Left air movement fan for t5 fixture
IMG_0707.jpg

Wiring shots
IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

dachieftan

SUPER SOIL

SUPER SOIL

Hell Ya brother super soil is GRRRRRREAT! So easy to make and so effective. I like how it takes a lot of the guess work and science out of cultivation as it focuses on the needs of the microbes to nourish the plant.
Interesting so you didn't add the guano in your mix? Did you start to see any deficiencies towards the end of flower from the lack of P, or did your roots Soil(with guano), and bloombastic cover the P end of nutes so that the guano would have been overkill?
The super soil + bloombastic seem to be sufficient but I think a little extra guano in the soil couldn't hurt too much. I can't affirm that adding the guano would be overkill. MY super soil babies seemed healthy and the plants turned some fantastic orange-ish and purple colors at harvest time. The "regular" soil mix I compared with the super soil was the roots 707 blend. the babies in 707 were green with more yellow than the super soil ones fo' sho. Only used bloombastic the whole time. Next time, I might try mixing some roots 707 as the base soil for my next super soil batch.

One question though. So when you just let it sit in the tote for 4 months are you supposed to periodically add water or open the lid every once in a while for the microbes or do you just literally put it in the tote and forget about it for that long?

That particular batch was made in November and it was a rainy winter so it was usually pretty moist. I also placed a plastic bag directly under the tote lid to seal in the moisture. It is insisted that you periodically add water and mix up the soil AS NEEDED. Every time I would pop open the lids to see if I needed to add water, the soil was already moist with a collection of water droplets lining the underside of the plastic bag. I would still mix up the soil for sure on a bi-weekly basis but I didn't feel the need to add more water.

justiceman, I dig your DIY veg tent. My friend was hating on it but I might just have to make one for myself to prove him wrong.:dance013:
Do you know of any threads that can teach me how to wire those computer fans?

I know more about organic soil than hydro so I'm guessing your using a flood and drain table w/ soil pots? If I am correct and this is a flood and drain table, do you plan to use the super soil in combination with this system?

How much dry wieght do you plan to have with those 6L pots? Have you ever tried bigger pots?

Metatron

Good Lord Justiceman!

Just did a front to back read today.

Your quest for resin is worthy to call it a Crusade.

I'm subscribed and watching for the rest on...friggin awesome!

M-

Last edited:

justiceman

Veteran
Hell Ya brother super soil is GRRRRRREAT! So easy to make and so effective. I like how it takes a lot of the guess work and science out of cultivation as it focuses on the needs of the microbes to nourish the plant.

The super soil + bloombastic seem to be sufficient but I think a little extra guano in the soil couldn't hurt too much. I can't affirm that adding the guano would be overkill. MY super soil babies seemed healthy and the plants turned some fantastic orange-ish and purple colors at harvest time. The "regular" soil mix I compared with the super soil was the roots 707 blend. the babies in 707 were green with more yellow than the super soil ones fo' sho. Only used bloombastic the whole time. Next time, I might try mixing some roots 707 as the base soil for my next super soil batch.

That particular batch was made in November and it was a rainy winter so it was usually pretty moist. I also placed a plastic bag directly under the tote lid to seal in the moisture. It is insisted that you periodically add water and mix up the soil AS NEEDED. Every time I would pop open the lids to see if I needed to add water, the soil was already moist with a collection of water droplets lining the underside of the plastic bag. I would still mix up the soil for sure on a bi-weekly basis but I didn't feel the need to add more water.

justiceman, I dig your DIY veg tent. My friend was hating on it but I might just have to make one for myself to prove him wrong.:dance013:
Do you know of any threads that can teach me how to wire those computer fans?

I know more about organic soil than hydro so I'm guessing your using a flood and drain table w/ soil pots? If I am correct and this is a flood and drain table, do you plan to use the super soil in combination with this system?

How much dry wieght do you plan to have with those 6L pots? Have you ever tried bigger pots?
Hey man I really appreciate that advice on the super soil. It sure clears things up for me. I can't wait to see the results! I have heard of that bloombastic before, and I really want to try it. Sounds like it produces some good results. The 707 idea for a base isn't a bad idea at all. I think they market it as not having much in it for those who want to choose their own destiny haha?

I wonder if It would be beneficial to add a very light amount of kelp or molasses when one waters the super soil? I will now plan to pour it all out and mix up the soil once a week. Good tip indeed.

Thanks for the compliment about the veg tent. I admit It isn't the most aesthetically pleasing outside, but inside it's not to shabby in my opinion.

As for wiring I don't know any threads but It's a pretty simple job when it comes to 120mm PC fans. Strip 1/2 to 1inch of the outer coating from the Negative and Positive wires coming out of the PC fan(black and red). If it has a yellow wire cut it off and seal it with electrical tape. It's unnecessary for the tent. Strip 1/2 to 1inch of the positive and negative wire coming out of your power supply(you can buy those at radio shack or online). Splice the correct wires together and wallah. Then you can plug your PC fan's into a wall outlet. It is advised to make sure that the power supply can handle the amount of amps the fan's put out. The more fans you want to run, the more amps you want available on the power supply. It's always good to have some left over amps not in use. Here are a couple(bad) pics of how the wires are hooked up. If I didn't explain well enough or left anything out just tell me.

Basic idea(Fan,Positive,Negative)
Wireing2.jpg

My fans
wireing.jpg

As for your comment about my flood/drain table and soil pots. I am actually using Roots Organics Soil-less in pots at the moment but I don't do Flood/drain(Ebb & flow, Ebb & Flood etc.) I do good old hand watering drain to waste. I just merely purchased that tray to hold the plants so I could water them and collect the runoff all in one place. The Soil-less consists of coco fiber, perlite, pumice, worm castings, bat guano, kelp meal, oyster shell flower, green sand, soluble kelp, glacial rock dust, and leonardite. It does act much like a soil though haha. I am originally planning to use the super soil outside, but I may incorporate some into the tent as well but I am still unsure.

As for the my what I hope to attain with 6l pots. I am trying to push the yield in my tent from last quest. I have used bigger pot's but I have never used 5gal. This is what happened last time.

(Six 10.5l pots)
Green Crack= 212.7g(7.6oz)
average 70.9g(2.53oz) per plant(3 plants)

Granddaddy Purple= 97.8g(3.49oz)
average 32.6g(1.16oz) per plant(3 plants)

TOTAL: 310.5G(11.089oz)

600w light = .5175 Grams per watt

This time instead of doing Six 10.5l(63l total) pots I did Nine 6l(54l total) pots. I know that it is slightly less medium, but my canopy looks just as fat If not fatter and I hope to actually raise my GPW this time around. I also beleive that this time around my canopy is more on the even side so I should be utilizing my light more effectively.
Here is a comparison of both canopy's at week 7 in the same tent(different camera)
Green Crack, Granddaddy Purle
wk7day513-1.jpg

Hindu Skunk
Day496-1.jpg

Good Lord Justiceman!

Just did a front to back read today.

Your quest for resin is worthy to call it a Crusade.

I'm subscribed and watching for the rest on...friggin awesome!

M-

Hey metatron thanks for taking to time to read my whole thread! I appreciate that and the kind words as well. Stay tuned my man harvest is coming around the corner!

justiceman

Veteran
Day 56(Week 8)

Harvest is surely coming around the corner my fellows! I am thinking about taking them down at day 63(week9) but I may push them a few days longer then that. I will definitely cut the runt down at day 63 possibly even sooner, because she is looks finished compared to the rest not to mention I am 100% convinced she is a different cut from the other Hindu Skunk's. She is some type of purple variety. I know that when I picked up the cuts I also saw Querkle and Purple Kush as well so maybe 1 got mixed into the Hindu cuts? No doubt she is different though. All her hairs are died back unlike the rest. She is shorter then the rest. She produces less then the rest. She is turning purple and she smells completely different. I basically think she's done, but I want her to be a little more flushed out.

Last time that I went from Full strength nutes to pure water for the flush I started to see cal/mag deficiencies and such turn up quite fast(to be expected) so this time I went from 2.2EC and bumped it down to 1.2EC to kind of get them ready. Then I did a watering with Clearex and a bit of molasses, and now I am just watering with pure R/O. Here is the Bloom feeding schedule of late.

Justiceman's Bloom Feeding
Feeding(5/26/10)
note all doses are per 3 gal
3 heaping tsp molasses(measures to about 130ppm)
45ml HPK(Roots Organics bat guano)
27ml cannazym
60ml Humega
PPM=480(almost 1.2 EC)
Temp:18 Celsius

Feeding(5/28/10)
all doses per 3 gal
1 tsp molasses
45ml Clearex
PPM=160
Temp:23 Celsius

Feeding (5/30/10)
R/O water

So I finally got a few extra cuts to mess around with. Picked them up yesterday and they are looking nice and healthy. I transplanted them in to small 4" pots in order to allow their root system to get a little more established before they go into something a bit bigger:peek: I already have a plan set in mind for them but who knows plans change. We shall see. I am going to veg them in the station for 3-4 weeks. I won't leave them in the 4" pots for the that long though. I'll put them in something bigger soon. But after the 3-4 week veg I plan to transplant them into some 5gal smart pots and throw them outside for a little bit of fun! The cuts I got are 2 Casey Jones, 2 Chem Dawg's, and 2 Head Band's. Here is what I fed them after the transplant. I know it might seem high to some, but last time I fed some cuts(.9EC) They became severely malnourished so I figured I'd bit the bullet and see what happens with this dose. I figure it should work out fine as the Roots Soil-less doesn't have much in it, but it has a perfect consistency for starter clones and seedlings as in has a generous amount of perlite for adequate oxygenation of the root zone.

Justiceman's Veg Feeding
Feeding(5/31/10)
Doses per 1 gallon
200ppm cal mag
3ml grow
5ml infinity
1/2 tsp Soluble Seaweed Powder 1-0-4
Roots Oregonism XL
PPM=660(1.3EC)
PH 5.85

Alright so first up are the babies! Left side:Chem Dawg. Front side: Head Band. Right side: Casey Jones. Let me know what you guys think!
CDHBCJ.jpg

Day Shots
Day561.jpg

Day562.jpg

Day563.jpg

Resination my friends
Day566.jpg

Day564.jpg

And Here is one shot of a runt nugget(nice and purple)
Day565.jpg

Night Shots
Day568.jpg

Day569.jpg

Behold Resination fellow brethren
Day5611.jpg

Day5613.jpg

Day5610.jpg

Look at this runt nug. She is certainly of different a stock.
Day5612.jpg

Nice prime top nugget.
Day56.jpg

justiceman

Veteran
Super Soil Update!

So I my Super Soil plan also includes a weekly mix up and watering. Some of you might wonder why I water soil when there are no plants in it. It is because microbial life needs water to survive, and to move around in order to help break nutrients up. Without water soil becomes barren and dry and inhabitable for many plants. Microbes end up either dieing or going dormant for the most part. Now don't get me wrong. Soil does not have to have a ton of moisture for microbes to live and thrive. Even when you think soil is dry to the touch it still usually has some microscopic water attached to the particles(unless its been dry for a long time. The water is in such tight places that even roots cannot use it.

So I mixed up the soil and I have some pictures to show you and talk about before I mixed it up. The top layer of the super soil developed a mycelium network of fungi witch is a wonderful sign! the mix is teaming with life and the raw ingredients are slowly being broken down. In 3 weeks the soil should be ready to use. 3 more mixes and 3 more watering. This time around I decided to water it with a slight kelp and molasses solution in order to help jump start the microbes as they love both of those ingredients.

Look at all that fungi helping to break everything down! Of course I mixed it up after but I am sure another layer will soon come back to the top.
week1supersoil.jpg

week1supersoil1.jpg

Another role of fungi/bacteria is to help bind soil particles together. They help to keep the soil from compacting and they also help with water retention. I have a mycelium network on top of the soil as well as the soil particles sticking together. IMHO those are good signs witch point to increased microbial life:jam:
week1supersoil2.jpg

week1supersoil3.jpg

week1supersoil4.jpg

thebayarea

Oi Justice,

Killin' it as usual I see! Unfortunately that photobucket bandwidth cap is killing ME right now though. I came to look at the ladies. Get at me when new pics come up, I know you're coming up on harvest. Super soil sounds tasty btw, might have to try something similar.

-Tyler

PS: It's overrr-NINE-THOOOUUUSSSAAAAAAAAANNND!

dachieftan

justiceman,

Congratulations on getting through your whole grow with a new nutrient line and no problems. This is the the very definition of a successful grow IMHO.

I'm 1 week into flowering and I noticed you stopped using botanicare's liquid karma after the first week of flower. I picked up this product and was planning on using it during the whole flowering period... Do you have any good reason to disregard this action?

I will be supplementing blackstrap molasses as well. Any suggestions as to the amount of molasses per gallon of H20?

Those pics of the super soil micro organisms is what I like to call some top notch mycelium porn. Your babies are gonna luv those micro beneficials. My friends are kicking themselves in the ass for not following my advice on the super soil. I gave them the recipe but they did nothing with it... I guess you can lead a horse to a water source but can't make em drink it. My plants look like they are @ least a couple of weeks more mature in growth as they are @ least a foot taller than my friend's babies. Are you planning to use that whole nutrient line in combination with your super soil? Up to this point all I have tried is super soil with atami's bloombastic PK booster.

justiceman

Veteran
justiceman,

Congratulations on getting through your whole grow with a new nutrient line and no problems. This is the the very definition of a successful grow IMHO.

I'm 1 week into flowering and I noticed you stopped using botanicare's liquid karma after the first week of flower. I picked up this product and was planning on using it during the whole flowering period... Do you have any good reason to disregard this action?

I will be supplementing blackstrap molasses as well. Any suggestions as to the amount of molasses per gallon of H20?

Those pics of the super soil micro organisms is what I like to call some top notch mycelium porn. Your babies are gonna luv those micro beneficials. My friends are kicking themselves in the ass for not following my advice on the super soil. I gave them the recipe but they did nothing with it... I guess you can lead a horse to a water source but can't make em drink it. My plants look like they are @ least a couple of weeks more mature in growth as they are @ least a foot taller than my friend's babies. Are you planning to use that whole nutrient line in combination with your super soil? Up to this point all I have tried is super soil with atami's bloombastic PK booster.

Right on for the kind words man! I actually stopped using liquid karma about 2 weeks into veg. The reason is because my sample nutrient line technically should contain everything necessary for a good high yielding crop(or so they advertise). So i discontinued the liquid karma in order to test the nutrient line without many additives in order to truly gauge its ability. I do really like liquid karma though. A good catalyst and booster that contains kelp and such. I plan to use it in the next quest. In fact I will be changing my my nutrients again haha. I am going to try out Pure blend pro, and bloom with liquid karma, roots organics HPK, hygrozyme, bud candy, and possibly some other type of soluble kelp, or the rest of the aminoaide. Oh ya and instead of using roots organics soilless I am going to use Straight Canna coco.

As for the molasses I personally do 1 teaspoon per gallon. Some people put up to 1tbsp, but i think less is more.

Ya man some people dig the super soil and others do not see the true power it holds! I mean it is the ultimate organic experience in my opinion. One has to build the soil, and compost it for a month or longer before even thinking about using it. It can be fine tuned and ratios can be changed in order to reach the desired affects. It's really quite cool. Can't wait to use it! I don't plan to use any nutrients with the super soil. I do however plan on probably giving them compost teas every now and then, and possibly trying out that bloombastic you speak of. I have heard good things about it.

justiceman

Veteran
Sup guys! So I am deciding If I should cut down my plants at week 9(in about 2 days) or I may possibly let them go until week 10(70 days). I know that I am going to pull the runt plant on Tuesday no doubt. She is done, and her trichs are surely milky. As for the Hindu's like I said earlier I might let them go longer. They keep on popping out new calyxes, and they have some milky with a decent amount of clear trichs left. Oh ya and you may have noticed that you cannot view my photos. I exceeded my bandwidth unfortunately and hopefully they should be back up within a few weeks, but for now I created a dummy account so that you guys can view these new pictures right away.

As of late I have been having bud support problems. One of my plants basically leans on one of her sisters just so she doesn't topple over. Funny enough the plant in question is the one that suffered injury earlier in her life. I went down to look at her scar and it seems one of the support issues is because the stem is cracking more and more from the original split. The nugs are getting to heavy for the amount of stem present. Most of the other plants are supporting themselves just fine except for a few branches here and there. I am thinking the disadvantage of my LST without a SCROG net is that too much weight is concentrated on one side of the pot instead of being equally distributed over the pot and medium. Ah well these kind of problems aren't as bad as most.

So I have a side by side picture of a perfectly normal Hindu Skunk next to the "runt plant" They are most definitely of different stock. The runt plant even has purple buds, where as none of the hindu's exhibit those traits in the least.

Hindu Skunk VS Runt
HinduPurpleKush.jpg

Hindu Skunk nug shots
Day611.jpg

Day613.jpg

Runt nug shots
Day615.jpg

Day616.jpg

Teaser Canopy shot
Day61.jpg

justiceman

Veteran
Day 63(week 9)

Well I have decided to let my girls go until week 10(70 days). I have however cut down the runt plant, because she was already finished so I have some harvest shots of her for all of ya. The Hindu Skunk has a nice fade going on and she is certainly, bulking up a bit. Some of the plants have unfortunately begun to lean so the canopy doesn't look as even these days as it once did, but it's still looking pretty good. Let me know if you have any ideas for bud support besides a scrog net. Just tryin to get some different opinions.

I cut the runt down so I have a few nug shots for you guys. She didn't yield a whole lot but that is to be expected. She suffered from over nitrification for a big part of her life. I didn't feel like adjusting or making a separate solution just for her. She did however allow me to test out and see what happens when you feed too much. Not to the point of burn but enough to hinder yield, and root development. Very interesting results. Here are some nug shots for you guys.

PurpleKush.jpg

PurpleKush2.jpg

PurpleKush3.jpg

PurpleKush1.jpg

I have a couple root shots I want to show you of that little runt. The shots say it all. She certainly ran into some problems. I am wondering whether the color is from nutrient burn(over nitrification), or possibly under watering. I admit that for some reason she sucked up water faster then the other plants, so she was considerably lighter then the rest when I watered. Got any ideas about the root color guys? I've certainly seen better root systems. Hopefully the Hindu Skunks do not disappoint.

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

Veg Tent Status

Day 7

My little cuts are chugging along and looking pretty good. At first I did my usual(underfeeding) not on purpose so they started to fade a bit, but then I kept the 600-650ppm consistency and they are greening up just fine. Just gave the Casey Jones a lower dose of about 500ppm because she looks like she has what she needs.

Here is what I have been feeding them as of late.

Feeding(6/4/10)
per gallon
260ppm cal mag
12ml Pura Vida grow
4ml Pura Vida bloom
15ml Ancient amber
PPM=670
PH 5.85

Feeding(6/8/10)
per gallon
250ppm cal mag
8ml Pura Vida Grow
2ml Pura vida bloom
15ml Ancient amber
10ml Cannazym
Roots Oregonism XL
PPM=730(diluted to 500 for Casey Jones)
PH 5.8

Casey Jones
IMG_0967.jpg

Chem Dawg
IMG_0962.jpg

Head band
IMG_0960.jpg

Family shot
IMG_0968.jpg

Hindu Status
As of late I have been just giving them R/O water.

Feeding(6/2/10)
R/O water

Feeding(6/5/10)
R/O water

Here are some shots of day and night.

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

The leaning shots
IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

As you can see the lean is pretty severe on some of them especially the Girl that was hit by a stray fan earlier in her life hehe. I have seen bigger buds that don't lean. So I am thinking that If i start adding a Silica supplement it should in turn help to bulk up my stems as well as help against heat stress and high salt conditions witch will be a good thing considering summer is here. Obviously a net of some sort will help with support but I also want to concentrate on making the stems big enough to hold up the amount of bud present.

Here are some nug shots.
IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

dachieftan

lollipoping for structural support

lollipoping for structural support

my friend is having great success in supporting a bulky/tall strain that can't support it's own weight by using the lollipop technique. I'm sure you heard of this technique where you clip the bottom branches that will typically become little insignificant popcorn nugs that are the very antonym of what we consider "bag appeal". The strain is TGA's JTR (JACK THE RIPPER) which is an 8 week flowering sativa dominant haze strain that grows very tall. He'll veg a little over a month in soil in 1-2 gallon pots and the JTR will typically grow about 2-3'. He'll trim about a foot of the bottom branches off the main stem and replant into a bigger pot. In doing so, he will submerge the de-branched 1' part of the stem in soil and switch to a flowering cycle. The first two week stretch during flowering should compensate for the loss of vertical stature from burying the lollipoped portion of the lady. In a side by side comparison of a lollipop/burried vs a lollipoped plant from the same mother showed that the lollipop/burried plant had more structural integrity as it had a lower center of gravity. I have seen how tall this strain can get and he keeps it under 3.5' by using this method. The result is a prime cola warhead on a short bushy plant that is genetically suppose to be tall and lenky.

If you are trying to avoid SCROG... I have been reading a lot about this technique called defoliation. You are suppose to start in veg but I didn't have the privilage of reading this article until flower. My babies were healthy enough to afford a haircut IMO so I did it and I really like the results. It goes against everything I read because you defoliate fan leaves (the factory/warehouse of plant energy). I wish I had a digital camera to show and not tell you b/c my bottom branches are reaching towards the light in a fashion that I have never seen before. It looks like this technique will increase yield if your not too chicken shit to take a risk of trying something new. Here is the article if your interested. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=174163

And about those brown roots... liquid karma has a tendency to stain roots but you stopped using that a long time ago. I'm curious to know if that stain ever washes out of your roots if you stop using LK for an extended amount of time like you did...:thinking: Maybe it's the new nutrient line you are using...
I guess we will find out once you pull your HS.

justiceman

Veteran
my friend is having great success in supporting a bulky/tall strain that can't support it's own weight by using the lollipop technique. I'm sure you heard of this technique where you clip the bottom branches that will typically become little insignificant popcorn nugs that are the very antonym of what we consider "bag appeal". The strain is TGA's JTR (JACK THE RIPPER) which is an 8 week flowering sativa dominant haze strain that grows very tall. He'll veg a little over a month in soil in 1-2 gallon pots and the JTR will typically grow about 2-3'. He'll trim about a foot of the bottom branches off the main stem and replant into a bigger pot. In doing so, he will submerge the de-branched 1' part of the stem in soil and switch to a flowering cycle. The first two week stretch during flowering should compensate for the loss of vertical stature from burying the lollipoped portion of the lady. In a side by side comparison of a lollipop/burried vs a lollipoped plant from the same mother showed that the lollipop/burried plant had more structural integrity as it had a lower center of gravity. I have seen how tall this strain can get and he keeps it under 3.5' by using this method. The result is a prime cola warhead on a short bushy plant that is genetically suppose to be tall and lenky.

If you are trying to avoid SCROG... I have been reading a lot about this technique called defoliation. You are suppose to start in veg but I didn't have the privilage of reading this article until flower. My babies were healthy enough to afford a haircut IMO so I did it and I really like the results. It goes against everything I read because you defoliate fan leaves (the factory/warehouse of plant energy). I wish I had a digital camera to show and not tell you b/c my bottom branches are reaching towards the light in a fashion that I have never seen before. It looks like this technique will increase yield if your not too chicken shit to take a risk of trying something new. Here is the article if your interested. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=174163

And about those brown roots... liquid karma has a tendency to stain roots but you stopped using that a long time ago. I'm curious to know if that stain ever washes out of your roots if you stop using LK for an extended amount of time like you did...:thinking: Maybe it's the new nutrient line you are using...
I guess we will find out once you pull your HS.

Damn dude right on for that response! I like that idea of burying the part of a lolipopped plant for support. Not bad at all. Hmm I know what you mean. I don't like cutting leaves either, but I'm willing to try new things. One never knows if they never try. I'll have to check out that article

Ya I'm not so sure about the roots. It might be that she sucked up more water then the others so some of her roots dried out on the outside of the pot? Your LK statement is also quite valid. As you said we shall see when I get some HS root shots up.

Veg Tent Status

Hey guys so these girls are already 14 days old(2 weeks) They seem to be coming along quite nicely and are well fed. Temps in the veg tent generally are around 80 degrees with about 30-40% humidity. Might sound a bit off, but they seem to be taking it well. Here is what I have been feeding them as of late

Feeding(6/12/10)
per gallon
250ppm Cal Mag
4ml Pura Vida Grow
1ml Pura Vida Bloom
15ml Ancient Amber
10ml Cannazym
2.5ml Silica Blast
PPM=540(almost 1.1EC)
PH 5.87

Feeding(6/14/10)
note: trasnplanted to 3.4l pots of FFOF
per 3 gallon
250ppm Cal Mag
8ml Pura Vida Grow
2ml Pura Vida Bloom
45ml Ancient Amber
30ml Cannazym
15ml Silica Blast
3/4tsp soluble seaweed powder
Roots Oregonism XL(poured the powder in the middle of the soil and on the root ball before filling the pot in with FFOF)
PPM=570(Diluted to 350PPM)
PH 6.2

As you may have noticed the last feeding is considerably lower then the rest, and its PH is set higher then usual as well. This is because I transplanted them into 3.4l pots with straight FFOF. I plan to transplant them once more into their final containers in couple weeks with Half FFOF and Half Super Soil. I have some 5 gallon smart pots set aside for them and this time I made sure everything will fit.

Now for the pictures.

Casey Jones
IMG_1007.jpg

Head Band
IMG_1008.jpg

Chem Dawg
IMG_1009.jpg

Family shots

Before Transplant
IMG_1010.jpg

After Transplant
IMG_1011.jpg

Sorry I didn't get any root shots. After I transplanted them I remembered about getting some root shots. Oh well. I will surely get some shots when I do the Smart Pot transfer.

Harvest Time is coming tomorrow so I'll be putting up some nug shots then.

Latest posts

Latest posts