What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Disease in coco

Spaventa

Veteran
Not a coco grower but was given some cuts in pots of coco. They looked ok, not the best but I thought should be ok.
They have just wilted gradually since. No yellowing or anything else though.
I had a feel and found the leaves are not limp or falling, just dropped. I’m thinking a wilt disease but the ones I know of are soil issues? Anyway I’ve put snips in a cloner with a dome. They haven’t got worse but the plants they came from have dropped more so I’m not sure. I’m sure I would have spotted nematodes by now, I’ve had a good look and roots look fine.
The plant looks normal, just wilted, no other symptoms. Leaves are dropped but not limp/dead.

Any help appreciated.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
maybe they are hungry?

have you checked with a magnifier for some of those hard core pests like broad mites? they hide using leaf veins to all but disappear.

Spaventa

Veteran
Nah it’s green as hell and no leaf damage. I will have a look under the scope though, cheers dude.

Spaventa

Veteran
I’m going to add h2o2 to the cloner res.
How heavy can you go? If I only run that 48hr to maybe disinfect the snips at least? Maybe 10ml per litre? Maybe less time? 8 hrs?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Double that on pics.

How are you feeding them? EC, pH (ideally both for feed and tap water) and frequency?

Spaventa

Veteran
Moving them into aero and the H2o2 treatment appears to have worked. They seem to be recovering. I don’t know what caused it because they were already in decline when I was given them a few days ago.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have been past 10ml of 17.5%, to the point where it was fizzing. No harm done!

Coco is often viewed in the same light as clay pebbles or rockwool, but it's organic. You can run clean with hydrogen peroxide, but just as easily load up with organics. So I'm not sure that a soil borne issue can't exist in a coco grow.

Just as a side note, There is a move towards calling rockwool a medium that can be used in organic grows. It's inert so really nothing more that a plant support. If you feed it with organically sourced food, you get an organically grown plant. But to do so you should really be loading up with microbes to get a healthy environment. So I bet some soil diseases can exist even in a rockwool garden

Spaventa

Veteran
Thanks guys. The guy who gave them too me has things in soil too so he might have cross contaminated the coco he gave me the plants in.
I have a feeling soil micro life keeps these things in check mostly but if you take an infection from soil, and let it into a soiless environment, it has no opposition. H2o2 is your friend. Fizzing? Lol cool :)

Latest posts

Latest posts