What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what should i buy to control my co2 tank and reg

I bought a co2 tank and reg and i have been told i would be way better off if i bought a co2 contorller. I am also confused on how to chaneg my room up to use co2 properly,

thi sis my set up now, I have a 1000 watt light that has a carbon filter and blower pushing air threw light and to outside, I have a humifier running and i have a AC/heat pump( i was told its seal system so it wont loose co2). I also have a air intake blwer bringing fresh air into room.

so im thinking in order to change to a seal room , I get rid of the intake blower( seal that up), my exhaust /carbon filter threw light gets changed , instead i wuld get frsh air from out side of room and push that air threw light to out side, then if i was to scrub air i need a blower and the carbon filter to just run inside room without pushing the air out side , I would then set up co2 tank and reg witha ppm controller ( no timer just controller and set it around 1500ppm. does this all sound correct ?

Thanks

Faint

jm420

Veteran
I'm new to the co2 thing myself,but I picked up a CAP3 controller,this shuts down the co2 when exhaust fans for temp and humidity come onalso has a photo cell to shut down co2 at lights out.My co2 reg is pluged into a 1 minute on 4 minutes off cycle timer wich is pluged into the cap controler.so in theory 12min an hour co2 is on.Now the trick is to regulate the co2 to keep a 1250 or so ppm.So my plan is to get a co2 meter .for 100 and manually adjust the reg until i hit the ppms i want..I went this route due to $
125 for cap3
20 cycle timer
100 for co2 meter

You could spend 500 and get a contoller that keeps your ppms at a set level.Then the option of 15 minutes on an hour.I guess if you search the instruction for a cap 1 regulator theres a furmula for your rom size so you can adust your reg to keep approximate ppms.
Now with that being said after the research on co2 i would agree that some sort of controll setup is necasary to ensure the co2 is goin to work.I would compare it to growing dwc with no ec meter.it can be done but you wont get the full potential
Peace JM

OhighO

I have been running a cap ppm4 ($250)for 1yr now and it works perfectly. I have tested the co2 levels many many times and they are always spot on at 1500ppm

jm420

Veteran
I have been running a cap ppm4 ($250)for 1yr now and it works perfectly. I have tested the co2 levels many many times and they are always spot on at 1500ppm

160 on ebay right now .i just bought 1 .thanks

jm420

Veteran
no you cant with a ppm 4 .those units are in tthe 4-5 hundred .your looking for somthing like the cap grrenhouse controller with the ppm control,sentinel makes one as well

no you cant with a ppm 4 .those units are in tthe 4-5 hundred .your looking for somthing like the cap grrenhouse controller with the ppm control,sentinel makes one as well
lets say i just do the math and figure out how long the reg stays on for will i reallybe wasting alot of co2 by just using a timer and not a controller ?

also im 5 weeks into flower , is it toolate to start the co2 or will i see benifits by using co2 this late in game ? the flower are doing very well atthe moment, Im just wondering if i should wait til next run or if using co2 this late will give a good enough return...

Thanks

Faint

Faint

FoCo(No.Co)

Barned
Veteran
As your attorney, I advise you to reconsider your investment.

CO2 in a semi-sealed 1k room isn't going to do much good. It sounds neat at first, but after 30 trips to fill tanks you are going to realize that the extra ounce at harvest time is not worth it.

FoCo(No.Co)

Barned
Veteran
...but if you do use it a controller is definitely a good idea ('doing the math' doesn't work because there is no way to know how much you are leaking, nor is there anyway to measure how much the plants are actually using).

so if i do use co2 i should do it as right as possible with use of a controller. i would not say my room is 100% sealed, but i would say i went to great lengths to make it as good as possble .. so i bet im in 80+ range. but it real hard to know for sure how good i got it.

FoCo(No.Co)

Barned
Veteran
Yea a controller will eventually pay for itself by saving you gas everyday.

How do you have your AC set up so it doesn't leak? I'm far from an hvac expert but I thought that all AC units had to be exhausted outside the room? Or at least thats how it was with the old units I last used...

Yea a controller will eventually pay for itself by saving you gas everyday.

How do you have your AC set up so it doesn't leak? I'm far from an hvac expert but I thought that all AC units had to be exhausted outside the room? Or at least thats how it was with the old units I last used...
My ac is a hydrofarm portable ac, and i did ask them if i would loose co2 usingthis model , they said this model does not draw and room air to cool it off and wont losse any co2 because it is a sealed ac design.. I made sure of that because i have been told co2 can be lost by using the wrong type of ac

Faintfuzzies, they lied to you.

That AC will exhaust CO2 (and stink) to wherever the exhaust hose leads to.

I'd recommend you return the CO2 tank, but if you're deadset on a controller, the Sentinel CHHC-4 is tits.

Faintfuzzies, they lied to you.

That AC will exhaust CO2 (and stink) to wherever the exhaust hose leads to.

I'd recommend you return the CO2 tank, but if you're deadset on a controller, the Sentinel CHHC-4 is tits.
TTC . Im wondering how do you know they lied to me ? if i look at the ac it appears to be a seperated compartment for the conderser system . the intake is drawn from the out of room and the condenser exhaust is also exhausted to teh out of room , so intake and exhaust are both coming from outside of room .. I hope they did not lie to me . but the eay it looks designed it looks like it will do what they said it would do ..

Faintfuzzies, I know they lied to you because all portable ACs exhaust some stink out (from a former portable AC user who wanted to believe the same thing that you did).

I also went for a dual hose system because I was told it wouldn't exhaust stink............it does.

I'm just a nameless/faceless guy on the Internet so take that advice for what it's worth, but I'm guaranteeing you that stink will get out of your room.

yea im the same average person that goes by what they tell me . hey if it does leak and stink up my room, Im going to butch more than they will ever know could happen. I will make sure i get a refund..thanks for the man , the average people have to stick together !

Peace

Lou

B

BrnCow

With the Sentinel CHHC-4, some regulators will freeze up. Make sure your regulator is made for use with a controller. The Sentinel regulator works good with the CHHC-4. One my friends bought from a chickenshit hydro place in west Ft. Worth was supposed to work with controllers and the guy said he had the same setup but when they hooked it up, it froze. There was a note on the paperwork that plainly said " not for use with controllers". The shop refused to refund their money...might have been a CAP or Hydrofarm...beware!

With the Sentinel CHHC-4, some regulators will freeze up. Make sure your regulator is made for use with a controller. The Sentinel regulator works good with the CHHC-4. One my friends bought from a chickenshit hydro place in west Ft. Worth was supposed to work with controllers and the guy said he had the same setup but when they hooked it up, it froze. There was a note on the paperwork that plainly said " not for use with controllers". The shop refused to refund their money...might have been a CAP or Hydrofarm...beware!

Thats teh first time i have heard that, Thansk for the warning. i wil check that out before i even use the reg

Thanks for the tip

faint

jm420

Veteran
As far as your a/c dillema an enviormental controll will shut down the co2 while ac is on,What I'm finding out its all a matter of having everything timed perfectly..I dont know if i even have it right but my goal is 1 time per hour exaustfans and ac come on 1 time an hour,so what i'm basically trying to do is co2 controller on for 45.min reg ulated at 1250ppms.then exaust will clear room ,then ac cools room .co2 comes back on to desired level

From what Ive read here running co2 that far into flower wont be much of a bennefit .Theres sort of a debate on just running for veg and not flower.some run during both .and as well theres another thread on 1500 ppms being to much and more favorable numbers are in the 950 -1250 range.
in my part of the world its 35 to fill a 15 lb tank .I dont want to do that more times than needed.
Hopefully more experianced peeps keep voicing the opinions it seems theres alot of peeps wanting to learn more about co2 setups