What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Co2 controller, what are the benifits ?

Hey every one, I had to buy a portable ac/heat pump for my medical flower room and i figure i my as well put c02 in room and make a sealed room to be able to have more control of my enviroment. so i bought ac , co2 tank and reg , The grow room guy said i dont need a co2 controller but then some people at other stores told me a controller is worth the extra money because i get more control..

so my question is what are the benifits of a co2 controller ? and should i buy just a co2 controller or shoud i buy another type of controller that controls co2,ac,and more ..Im not sure what i should buy or if i even need to add a controller .. i just dont know enough about then nor do i know anyone that uses them nor do i even really know what questions to ask .. I dont want to add equipment if the benift does not out weigh the cost..but if it really is no doubt that its worth it then i will go for it .

Thanks

Faint

Danks2005

efficiency. controller will allow you to use only what you need. While providing ppms exactly as you like.

As far as using an enviromental controller vs. C02 only. Well, that is up to you. My a/c and dehuey have built in control, my lights are on their own circuit on an intermatic timer. i already owned timers to run my pumps. So it would not make sense for me to spend extra money when all I need is co2 control. So look at what you want and what you have then make the call.

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey faintfuzzies, I am have about 4 weeks total experience using co2 myself, but before using it I had a good understanding of what I needed and why. So just warning you experience is minimal.

My opinion, YES you want a controller? Why? Like Dank had said then you won't waste as much gas, but I think there are much more important factors. Try and follw me I am baked on some katsu bubba kush.

Your plants need more heat when using co2, as the heat increases, their co2 using capacity increases. The plants overall metabolism increases, even using more food which I already am seeing in my 22 days experience, and drinking faster. You do not want your co2 levels to fluctuate much, 50-100ppm in any direction is perfect, start jumping more and you are not running optimal.

Lets say it is 85 in there, and you are undershooting by 300-500ppm, now your plants are being more adversley affected by the heat. A controller will keep you right in that sweet spot so your plants are 100% 100% of the time.

We like stable nutes, stable temps, stable ph, stable humidity, if we are going to start and play with one more factor we might as well do it right. Co2 is said to increase yields greatly, with out a controller you would pull less percentage then with, so just get one and it will pay for its self fast.

Personally I love the new Sentinel CPPM-4 CO2 Controller, it is the cat's meow, but anything with decent reviews will be better then nothing.

Here is my girl:

picture.php

If you are using bottled gas make sure and get a controller with "Fuzzy Logic" mode, this is a program designed to learn your room so it can help remain more stable, and prevent over and under shooting. Of course this prevents wasting co2, but mostly it is for keeping things stable. There is no way they would have came up with a cool technical term like fuzzy logic if keeping co2 levels stable weren't important lol.

i use the digigro coco with great results. it doesn't have fuzzy but doesn't overshoot at all. everything i have read about co2 also suggests that it needs to be consistent during the photoperiod. Not just an extra bump here and there during the day.

Im starting to wonder if i made the ruight choice to even use co2 . The reason i did it is first i have had temp and humidty tug of war going on all winter, my temps in flower room right now are 80-81 with light on humidity is at 53% so i know when teh spring really hits im going to have a temp problem, so then i was thinking why not just do a closed envoroment and add co2.. so this is what i did , I have not even took the stuf out of box yet . I might just set up ac/heat pump and use that for a while before i set up co2. my plants have been growing fine without co2 i just thought maybe a added boost would be helpful, but know im thinking i need alot more know how to use it properly I thought it would be as easy as using the hydrofarm co2 calculator and set everything to the size of my room I did not knwo i neeed a warmer room to use it properly and here im trying to get rid of heat .. Im thinking i need more knowledge before i mess with this gas

TB Gardens

Veteran
I also use the digigro coco, loving it so far.. Enough to buy another one for another room. Great price, plug and play, ppm fluctuations are extremely minimal. $250, word bro.