What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Panasonic Whisper Fan Carbon Scrubber Tutorial: Quietest most efficient fan ever!

Bulénath

Aloha bongkong!

There is a little 1-2" gap between the carbon and the cealing. You cant see the gap in the pictures due to the camera angle. Hope this answers your question!

Last edited:
Nice thread Bulenath. I really like that bumpersticker in your cabinet. Just picturing some granny with a medical alert bracelett saying that.

I searched Lowes and they don't have anything even close to those Panasonic fans. I wanted to check them out but I really hate the Home Depot. All the Broan fans I saw didn't have edge that you run the screws thru and most of them were around 2.5 zones and over 100 dollars. Ebay seems the place to go for theses fans. Anyone find other companies that sell them for a good price?

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
bongking: The carbon is held directly below the fan, with the fan sucking the hot air straight up, and then out the back of the cabinet.

What I'm wondering is: I need to exhaust out of the top of the cabinet, because it's sitting in a corner, so it needs to be a little more stealth. Would there be any way to situate the carbon vertically? My worry is that it would settle and there would be a gap of non-carbon exhaust at the top of the square. Any ideas?

I might just go with the conventional tube shape design.

Panasonic Whisperline 4" 120cfm - $109.99 - 1.0 sones, 36 watts
Panasonic Whisperline 6" 240cfm - $116.99 - 1.4 sones, 57 watts
Panasonic Whisperline 6" 340cfm - $142.99 - 1.7 sones, 98 watts

All their Panasonic fans, inline and bathroom ventilation, right here .

Last edited:

alphacat

bounty29 said:
Would there be any way to situate the carbon vertically? My worry is that it would settle and there would be a gap of non-carbon exhaust at the top of the square. Any ideas?

You could "pack" the carbon into the frame laid down horizontally, then lay another cut sheet of filterpad on that, and then hold the whole sandwich together with an X or cross-shaped open wire frame which is tightened down with wingnuts to keep it all compressed together without cranking it down so much it impedes airflow.

Last edited:

bongkong

Bounty 29, you said that the carbon is below the fan, but Bulenath said in post #41 that the carbon is 2" from the ceiling. So, the carbon must be on TOP of the fan, no?

Bulénath

Bounty,
The carbon is on the top of the fan and is resting in the square wooden frame. The screen is used to hold the weight of the carbon!

Can you use aluminum ducting bent at 90 degrees to exhaust out the top of your growbox?

Last edited:

mrgrowmez

I use a 90degree to vent out the top of my grow cab but only because of space issues, it causes a bit of noise and probably some air restriction but i had no choice :badday: . try to avoid it if you can man but hell you gotta do what you gotta do

:joint:
MR.G

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Well I want the cabinet to look completely normal from the outside, so I think I'm just gonna have a 4" hole in the back corner. I'd like to exhaust straight out, so there's less resistance. I think I'm gonna have it setup to run through a tube-style carbon filter, then through a cooltube, and then out the top of the cab. I've still gotta do some designing, but this has definitely given me some ideas. Thanks everyone, and thanks for the clarification about your design Bule.

Bulénath

Yeah the ducting definately reduces cfm! Try to vent straight out the back if you can, which may be hard to do using the long fan that sports two 4" holes and a long can scrubber.

They handle backpressure well. Inline fans are ment to pull through carbon, but are also really loud. They are super strong and dont loose much cfm with a scrubber attached. The panasonic will loose about 25% cfm with the scrubber. I think the Vortex inline with can 9000 scrubber lost about 10-15% cfm.

Of course, you shuold note I am rating the cfm reduction by placing my hand over the vent repeatedly for a while when im stoned and working relentlessly on my growbox.
In the end, the CFM reduction dosent feel very large. Its noticeable, but the fan still moves a large quiet jet stream of air.

Last edited:
G

these fans any good with a 400 w hps aircooled? or should I just get a votex. I gotta put a cabinet in a shed on my porch in my aprtment complex. Do you think people would hear the votex inside the shed?? This is the only thing stopping me from growing.... :chin:

Last edited:

goldfronts

so I just got the 240 in line whisper light, and I am trying to figure out how to hang it.

It sounds really quiet, and I think once the fan is hooked up to a carbon scrubber and ducting it will be near silent. I think that the small fan I got to circulate air in my cab makes about as much noise as is right now.

It has brackets to mount it, but I am thinking that I am going to use some bungies to mount it, and if that doesn't work I am going to use the hardware that came with it. I really want to try to avoid any unecessary noise.

the shape of the fan is a rectangle. You guys have any ideas on how to hang it?

mysticls

With these panasonic fans..can you mount one of the tube style carbon scrubbers or does it have to be like what you did; with the tray above the fan, etc?

Bulénath

Weed4life, I would say your neighbors balclny is relativly close, after all your in an apartment. So yeah they would most likely notice the Vortex Jet Engine next door. What you could use an excuse for the loud noise, hard to say. If there is any way you could check out a hydro store that might have the Vortex on display, that might help.

Goldfronts,
Try resting the panasonic on your dining room table and see if there is enough vibration to be of concern. If so try using some spongey foam to prop under the fan. My 80cfm model is so quiet I just rest the thing on the flat wooden shelfs in my grow cabinet.

Mysticls,
There is a model that uses aluminum colored casing which has a round exhaust and intake. This model would seem perfect for a can filter. For the other models, regardless if you build an adapter, it seems better off with a carbon tray opposed to a can filter. But check out the amuminum colored models.

bongkong

Bluenath and brethren,

I am about to order this fan: http://www.electricsuppliesonline.com/pafvwhlowprv.html

I don't want to mount it inside of the box, because it will take up precious real estate. I want to mount it on top of the box. Do you think that if I put one of those carbon filter air filters on the intake of the fan (and also cut out a piece to go over the 4" exhaust) it will eliminate odor? I used something similar with my C-25, and it worked like a charm...although I only got to test it on plants that were in veg (all 4 ended up males)...but they were reeking in veg, and the air filter disguised the odor. This is basically what I'm thinking about doing: http://www.gardenscure.com/420/secu...tivated-carbon-filter.html?highlight=scrubber

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. You might be thinking that if I mount the fan on top of the box then I am losing all stealth. Well, that's partly true. But I am going to put this in my "man room" in my house...and all I have to worry about is inlaws going in there. If they don't hear any strange noises...then that's half of the battle. If they ever wanted to look in the room, I would make sure to have a bikini babe poster on the outside of the cab (They are super-Christian-religious) so they would take one look at the babe and probably want to leave the room. In short, I am only interested in the smell and sound aspects of stealth...and not so much in the sight aspects of it. As long as they don't see any green ganja, I can just tell them that the equipment is part of my beer-brewing stuff.

Thanks,
BK

goldfronts

unfortunately I can't just rest it on the floor of my cab or on a shelf as i do not have enough space. The only way is to hang it.I am not sure if I should use the supplied hardware (with some foam), or if I should bungee it?

any suggestions are welcome

dontcryout

Hey there I need so me help with a decision on selecting Inline Whisper fan for my room. I have a 175cubic feet room and I am going to be running two 600 watts 1200W. I live in south so in the summer can get hott. I need very quiet fan but ofcourse I need to remove hott air too. I want to go with the 6 inch inline 240cfm WHisper but I am concerned it might not be enough to get temps down. If I have airconditioner in room would this be enough cfm to keep temps below 85f?

Latest posts

Latest posts