What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hail Hydro 2.0: New Beginnings

Bobby Boucher

BB, as I have mentioned several times,.. EVERYTHING ELSE IS MOSTLY THE SAME”

So are you “rethinking everything”? Or keeping everything the same under the assumption that the only thing wrong with your grow are the microbes..

Caps locks are also completely unnecessary and unappreciated. Yelling is for dummies. You already called me a bitch for trying to stop you from ostracizing yourself. You should stop with all that shit.

Starting to regret spoon feeding you all this useful information.

Last edited:

Bobby Boucher

I just feel bad for all the newbs who come here wasting their time and money buying whatever crystal or magnet pf swears by. This thread is nothing more than a cautionary tale. People don’t realize the heavy traffic is just drama factor.

Pf, you aren’t helping anybody telling them to divert from conventional growing methods, or by straying away from them yourself.

Leave the tinkering to people who have the equipment and education necessary to actually quantify wtf they are doing. There is no quantifiable data you are ascertaining for the community, or for yourself. It’s all speculative and heavily biased, at best.

Nobody should be “hailing” to a grower who can’t recognize root rot or figure out to use an extractor fan. Be modest. Even the most experienced growers here shy away from that kind of bs. And read the god damn stickies, at the very frickin least. 10 years here posting every damn day about whatever putzing around you’ve done and you haven’t even read the hydro stickies. That’s just arrogant, and discourteous to the other users.

I could give 2 tugs about your grow. I just feel bad for anyone that comes here thinking they are going to come away from it with needed medicine. If you are gonna be on the front page everyday, be exemplary. It’s fuckin .. solid advice, all around. Just get it. My better half still roots for you. But cmon man.. No extractor fan? “Link to Big Tokes”? “Who’s gypsy?”?

You don’t actually do any reading here, do you?

Bobby Boucher

I get the feeling I should actually be apologizing to the other users here for needlessly bumping this thread in an effort to help you, or for offering sound advice to somebody who already spit in everybody else’s face.

I don’t think I would bother if the thread title didn’t beg for so much attention.

Anyways.. sorry for the disturbance, folks. I get hyper focused. Lately I’ve been trying again to put it to good use and help out a few dummies in my life, including myself, and it’s actually proven to be super fruitful. Thought I’d give in another try here. Just an exercise in overcoming bias.

Can’t help someone who ain’t got a problem to begin with, though. More like an exercise in futility.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
WOW, I wasn't expecting you to feel compelled to alert others

My thread actually does serve newbies by showing them the kind of things that can go wrong

I was thinking about you mentioning heat: My ambient tent temperature is ~ 85*s, NOT, rez temp

In spite of your last 3 posts, thanks for you help. You have made me rethink several things

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I found qt btl of the new DM Commercial Zone on eBay for $38 and free shipping

LostTribe

Premium user
OMG, when you pull a plant out of a bubbler all the roots kling together

Color accuracy is far from 100, so what looks like early stages of root rot is not

I told you it was RR. Did you try the DM Zone?

Rez or bucket temps must stay under 80 degrees or you will always have issues.

Any system with a pump and sprayers that runs 24/7 will not work. Temps rise from the pump pressure. An intermittent timer may help.

I would recommend you read the SoQuick Icmag is boring as shit thread. Keep it simple.

LostTribe

Premium user
You mean like these? Using the exact same stones, so ?

Yes one of the pics has rr but it also has side roots

View attachment 495377

View attachment 495378

View attachment 495379

Additionally, that blue container is letting in light which will also cause shit to start growing in the rez.

I did an aero sog last summer and it worked but wasn't worth keeping. I went back to hydroton similar to this but not the plant count also more veg and bigger plants.

Icmag is boring as shit classic SoQuick Thread:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=7366

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I told you it was RR. Did you try the DM Zone?

Rez or bucket temps must stay under 80 degrees or you will always have issues.

Any system with a pump and sprayers that runs 24/7 will not work. Temps rise from the pump pressure. An intermittent timer may help.

I would recommend you read the SoQuick Icmag is boring as shit thread. Keep it simple.

WTF... are you high ?

The blue container is a cooler inside of which is the plastic coffee container that I DIYed into a bubbler. Between the 2 I rotate blue ice jugs

Both rezs have blue ice bottles that are rotated 3-4xs/day

Both systems are air pumps with air stones in the rezes, And when I do use lpa set up my pump is on a timer

And IF you bothered to read just the post directly before yours, you would have READ that I started using Zone

So, if you want to help at least catch yourself up first

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Now that I SEEM to have the issues causing RR under control, I just started new seeds. Once they are ready to put into my bubbler, I will move these plants outside

DiverDave

Now that I SEEM to have the issues causing RR under control, I just started new seeds. Once they are ready to put into my bubbler, I will move these plants outside
You are due for a great big :CONGRATS MAN:

Now that you kicked it .. your moving to out doors ?
Dude I too am on a roll and do not want to go back and try
something different. :laughing:

I will post some pictures of my new improved system.
I will start a new post when I am ready.
I am told my order for the 90 1 inch hose clamps will be in Tuesday.

Then I can finish the complete assembly of my 6 bucket :
RDWC / aero hydroponics & Bio Bucket ©

And the updated rez to complete the look.

I will write a new thread as to not have high jacked this thread any more then I do.

Harvest is over and the trimming is done.
Many new things learned and more dollars spent. ..

Till l8rz

DD

DiverDave

LOL, until I actually have ZERO issues with RR I won't say I've conquered it

That said, I am seeing new roots, but it's so late for these there's little reason for weekly updates

I have considered buying this set up. Probably time now

https://greenenvysupply.com/product/oxygen-pot-systems-grocommander-controller-module-analog/

You might like what I am doing , I got a lot of info from old timers here developing the bio bucket .. tons of reading .. but since I built what I use is similar (didn't even know) , I tried many things , and the bio bucket is all about water fall and letting water work for you to create a bio system to hold itself to healthy.

I think I can pull a profit just marketing a single stand alone with instructions.

Using just one test bucket , I took a almost finished planet and bulked it .. now I have to be real careful to dry it in stages to avoid bud rot .. they are wet.

I hope to make time to make and post a thread on by build and what I went through in different methods with the same basic lids.

And how simple it was to add this bio idea into the mix.

DD

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
7/7 seeds cracked with tap roots already sticking out

Fingers crossed I can nurture them into healthy happy females

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran

I soaked Rapid Rooters and dropped all 7 seeds.

For about a week I have been using a dunk jar rotating with Emerald Harvest Root Wizard and Dutch Master Zone, or H2O2, leaving plants in each for ~ 20 minutes. One thing I noted immediately is the amount of dead root coming off in the dunk jar, so I have been straining it out and reusing it between each of the plants. (I then started rinsing the roots under the faucet water to help remove dead root rot and dead roots). Turns out this is a good idea as these dead roots would be decaying in the rez upsetting the good things I've been doing. I am seeing some new roots

Finally got around to reading BigTokes Sticky. It is loaded with excellent 411, although it is ~ 13 years old and we have products that weren't available then. Also he runs a lot of plants, so Bio Buckets work there, but Ill stick to starting < 6 plants in my DIY bubbler then moving to my DIY F & D, where I've had excellent results in the past.

I should be able to start reusing either EH Root Wizard (mine is likely past it's use by date), NPK Raw Microbes and/or Enzymes to establish/maintain root bennies

Here's an excerpt:

Consider that when the bad guys find a plant, they use nutrients that the plant already immobilized. How ya like them apples!!!
Growing in a Recirculating DWC Bio-Bucket System of Hydroponics, the pathogens do not function to hold significant nutrients, because the good-guy bacterium compete with disease-causers, and prevent diseases and pests from being able to find or infect roots. The beneficial bacterium immobilizes a great deal of nutrients in their biomass, so that N, P, K, etc. Predators, such as fusarlum, pythium, rhizoctonia, phytopthera, sclerotinla; etc. feeds on dead pieces of root mass, pests and disease-causing organisms well inhibits the plants uptake of mobile nutrients. If the beneficial bacterium is properly managed (given a place to live) then they well aid in mobility of nutrients in the solution such as nitrogen (N) and potassium (K) should remain in the root zone to benefit the crop and yield. The beneficial bacterium keeps your solutions free from disease-causing organisms, thus creating a better echo-water environment, making nutrients more readily available for the plant mainly in the root zone.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Update

Something amiss with my photo editing, had to use auto stuff which ain't all that

However, pics reveal that the plants have recovered, including LOL. I pollinated her a couple weeks ago, now seeing swelling calyxes, which means Ill have Tripleberry seeds to try again

Note that the BBCC x G13 in the lower left front leaves are turgid and beginning to reach up, a very healthy sign, also lower branches are growing. One flipped, likely due to the major stress I put her through. She's now outside cause whatever I get from her (not much) will still be good smoke

And 4/7 BBCC x G13 seeds have already broken out of the RRs

Note tent temp stays between 86-89*s

View attachment 496629 View attachment 496630

View attachment 496631 View attachment 496632

View attachment 496633 ]

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Update

4/7 are well out the RRs, prepping to put them in fresh nutes

Cleaned the tote, and the air stones. Fresh nutes made, chilling them now

Moved 2/3 remaining BBCC x G13 outside in coco. The only reason why I haven't YET moved the 3rd is when I was cleaning the roots 2 days ago the main taproot with 99% of the roots (none really viable) came off, leaving me with just a couple root threads. They are already developing lateral roots, but want to leave them in the veg bubbler until they develop more. BTW her main stalk is pretty strong and lower side branches are ~ 4" long with strong stems

LOL continues to hold her own

P

pongster

hello brother,

i think i spent the whole morning reading this thread (no joke); with proper companion ofc :rasta:. Years of work indeed are in these electronic pages.:thank you:
i hope everything will go well this time for you,

FWIW, Bobby and RR have made comments and advice, which are easily worth a few million pesos ( :) ) by trying to really help you.

i'm a soil grower myself but if i ever try hydro i will read this thread again for their posts mainly.

Best regards,
:smoke out: