What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My Coco Quest: Coco Hempy 4x4

Dakine

Veteran
Those plants are lookin mighty fine mah friend! Glad to see your feeding them the right amount now frome some help..

Im about to see if my girls flowering well clones and girls in veg like A feeding around 1.2-1.4..

Lethal

Hi justiceman,

plants are looking very happy. Subscribed to see further development as this is kind of grow I want to start soon (both size and style - also from seeds)I hope you won't mind couple of questions once I will have more time to read through the thread.

Cheers Lethal ;)

justiceman

Veteran
Thanks Dakine!
Ya my girl's are a bit too small to handle 1.2EC right now but I'm sure if they were larger they could probably take it and explode. These ones are already damn green and I'm giving them 1.0EC but my starting water mix is .1-.2EC so I'm actually only giving them .8-.9EC worth of veg+bloom. Man this stuff is pretty strong. I'll stop by your thread a bit later to see how you're doing buddy!

Lethal,
Thanks for stopping by! I don't mind questions at all. Ask away whenever you like.

justiceman

Veteran
Currently doing some transplanting :dance013:

I think these Chocolate Hashberrys liked those solo cups but they want more coco!
picture.php

Here is the DeadHead OG Rootball. It is very very thick.
picture.php

Last edited:

justiceman

Veteran
Mmmm, those roots remind me of ramen. So delicious. Very nice development.:)
Right on Gastro hahaha ramen. I like that.

what are you using for root growth ? anything ?
I'm only using 2 things right now: Veg+Bloom Soft/RO formula, and +Life at .6g per gallon. I started using it about 2 weeks ago. The directions state 5.5g per 10gal and I don't have a milligram scale so I just round up. I'll probably try out SHINE when I flower but that would top it off for what I use.

Dakine

Veteran
Wow man those roots look fucking good.. like seriously.. they look super thick and healthy.. I went to go check some even after I watered the girls.. The plants I pulled out of there pots had vey thin roots and weren't even A strong white like yours. They where A tannish color and looked dehydrated in a way..

Those plants with those footballs must look pretty good.

justiceman

Veteran
Wow man those roots look fucking good.. like seriously.. they look super thick and healthy.. I went to go check some even after I watered the girls.. The plants I pulled out of there pots had vey thin roots and weren't even A strong white like yours. They where A tannish color and looked dehydrated in a way..

Those plants with those footballs must look pretty good.

Thanks man!:tiphat: The best way to get good roots is to refine your watering practices. If your roots are thin and tan on the outsides then like you said you let that container dry out too much on a regular basis(the root mass further inside the medium is probably fine don't worry). Small soil tip: Since there are times when one feeds plain water in soil you don't always have to water till you see run off. If you just kind of moisten it sometimes instead of saturating it the soil will dry out faster and you will be forced to water more frequently which will help pull more oxygen and fresh water into your root zone more often.

I know you're in soil. It's a little bit harder to water soil perfectly because it requires time in between watering to dry out but it can be done. Coco is not like soil. It holds far more air inside. It prefers to be irrigated frequently and that's why it was easy for me to keep the roots hydrated and surrounded by fresh oxygen(very important). Some of these solo cup girls were drinking 2-4 times a day. You might think "If he's watering that often how does he not get root rot?". This is because frequent feeding in coco pulls fresh air inside the coco too. The more you feed the more air exchange in the medium happens and the faster they grow. This is why grow styles like DWC work so well. The plant has access to all the WATER and OXYGEN it needs at the same time instead of trading one for the other like some poorly aerated soils do(not all soils are equal of course)

GastroGrower

Hey Dakine - Justiceman is spot on. Soil is a lot more complex when it comes to building out a root zone. I've never been able to get really amazing root growth on my soil plants, even with continued practice. Eventually you learn your plants and their environment, and when they need to be watered, but the soil is always going to be a big variable that can change the results you see.

justiceman

Veteran
Here's a picture of the 3 deep purple's, Pure Afghan, and the DeadHead OG after a little irrigation. They will be going back to the nursery eventually for training and cloning experiments. I transplanted the 4 Chocolate Hashberry's into 2gal fabric pots with 100% coco(not pictured). Those 4 will be the producers this time around. If I can get my cloning technique down with the ladies I MIGHT keep the deadhead OG as a bonsai mom.

They look so happy I had to share this pic. The DeadHead is appreciating her half gallon container(lol I'm so mean to her I hope she forgives me)
picture.php

Lethal

Hi Justiceman,

I have been observing for a while now. First thing nice root mass some may say they could that been transplanted bit earlier but I say they still looked pretty happy nice white colour there. Question time: I suppose you are still running on t8/t5 setup or something changed? I have just MH 400w atm it serves well but I see you have very nice results with lower penetrating light also. When switching into flower do you use cool tube for that 600w light as I have serious heating issues if I go anywhere higher then 400 on the other hand I am doing it in 1x1m tent where 600 feels like little overkill. Any opinions guys?

Lethal

justiceman

Veteran
Nice roots, was looking forward to the GG but fuck that PM!
Right on! Same here:frown: but I didn't even want to mess with it! Haven't seen it since. Good riddance.

Hi Justiceman,

I have been observing for a while now. First thing nice root mass some may say they could that been transplanted bit earlier but I say they still looked pretty happy nice white colour there. Question time: I suppose you are still running on t8/t5 setup or something changed? I have just MH 400w atm it serves well but I see you have very nice results with lower penetrating light also. When switching into flower do you use cool tube for that 600w light as I have serious heating issues if I go anywhere higher then 400 on the other hand I am doing it in 1x1m tent where 600 feels like little overkill. Any opinions guys?

Lethal

Thanks lethal. Ya the DeadHead OG wanted to be transplanted LONG ago but I just wanted to hold her back so my smaller plants could catch up. I also didn't expect the Chocolate Hashberry's to root in those solo cups so fast after only 13 days hahaha.

Anyway Right now I have all the plants in my 4x4(I guess that would be about 1.3x1.3m) tent under a 600w HPS. The T5's work quite well though. Right now it's fairly cold so I don't even cool my light at the moment but I do have it hooked up with ducting and a fan if need be.

A 400w seems pretty solid in a 1x1m tent. I could see how a 600w could get hot but it's definitely possible to run one if you cool it with a good hood or cool tube and fan.

justiceman

Veteran
Girl's are still vegging out. Forgot to grab a cannopy shot. I'll try and get one up tomorrow but I have this root shot for yuh!(so obsessed haha)

I had the top of the coco covered with some plastic flora flex caps so it wouldn't dry out too fast before the roots had time to spread. Well that worked out well. I threw some more coco over the top to protect them and set the caps aside till later.
picture.php

Also here's a deadhead root shot I took a couple days ago. I only transplanted her into a 1/2gal from the solo cup. She's really blowing up in it.
picture.php

justiceman

Veteran
Alright! Things are starting to fill out nicely in the flower tent. Every day I'm coming closer to the canopy I want and then I'll flip the switch. Can't wait.

Chocolate Hashberry's on the perimeter. Topped DeadHead OG in the middle is the new plan. Probably going to up pot the DeadHead into a 2gal coco hempy bucket very soon(I tried to use a filter to lessen HPS intensity)
picture.php

Got the Deep Purple's and Pure Afghan back in the Nursery along with all the tops as clones. Not really planning anything with them per say. I just did it to try and work on my cloning technique.
picture.php