What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Smart Pots Tutorial

PARADOX

92 x 184 / 92 x 92 / 58.1 x 60.8 / 595.68 gallons / 2251668 ml / 2251.7 litres

It says 92 inches? whats wrong with the math?

They seem to be spot on when im using the 20 -30 gallon size

Edit i see what you are saying its 60 inches after folded

Humboldt-hermit

Did the diy pots year's ago when this thread first started, save me some cash that allowed me to buy more soil insted of the expensive smart pots

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Just started a 30gal DIY'er....,now I'm waiting on the sides to dry 48hrs and see what I got. Just did this one to get a feel for how I like it and what sz I wanna do next....the next one I make I already know some stuff I'm gonna do different and be more prepared. After this one drys I'm gonna make until I'm out of fabric. I'm using 20yr warranty Scotts landscape fabric so hopefully it's gonna work out....pics in a few days if anybody wants to see

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Were I'm using this 20yr weedscape fabric it's more so grow bags made of whatever this landscape fabric is. I've made a few 30gal and 10g. I'm thinking these bags are kinda flimsy but there should have a good air for the roots were there so thin. I know there only gonna make it one season and that's it but what do you guys think??? I'm thinking they'd have to be better than plastic right??? I'd love to here some thoughts. When I bought the landscaping fabric I didn't really know what geofabic textile was I thought landscaper fabric. But do you guys think these pots I'm making will do ok????!!

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Here's a 30gal I made per instructions. But I used the best/most expensive landscaping fabric. I think it's 25yr or something. It's the thicker stuff. I cut some holes in the bottom. I made some 10gal also....I think they'll last the season. I know there not like the ones made with the good stuff, but this is the alternative.

image.jpg

PARADOX

The geotek fabric I use it pretty damn thick . landscape fabric is very flimsy so i hear you there

Were I'm using this 20yr weedscape fabric it's more so grow bags made of whatever this landscape fabric is. I've made a few 30gal and 10g. I'm thinking these bags are kinda flimsy but there should have a good air for the roots were there so thin. I know there only gonna make it one season and that's it but what do you guys think??? I'm thinking they'd have to be better than plastic right??? I'd love to here some thoughts. When I bought the landscaping fabric I didn't really know what geofabic textile was I thought landscaper fabric. But do you guys think these pots I'm making will do ok????!!

PARADOX

my bags from this original post are still going strong .. I literally kick the dirt out of them and refill/plant

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Yea I can tell that geotek fabric is the way 100%. But I've used this thick landscaping fabric and it'll get me through to next season. I'll try to get some geotek this winter. But this thick landscaping fabric is better than a grow bag....it's beathable, you just gotta be careful gluing it can get messy. I've used liquid nails, just go thin and double fold and put another thin layer on....May take a bit longer to dry were the material is so thin. The instructions are great I really appriciate it. If all you got is some good landscape fabric it's ok. Now I definatly wouldn't try cheap fabric....the best landscape fabric is pushing the limits as is. I'll for sure grab the real deal stuff as I'm sure it's great.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
right on man! good luck in the season!

Thanks for all the measurements. That's easy for the community to look at and start making grow bags. Everything is spot on....the 10&30gal are exact. Like you said around 85%. I'm be making 4-5 more 10gal. I've all ready got 3- 30gal and 4-10gal bags. Thanks for the DIY info....everybody should try.:tiphat:

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
What about handles? Does anybody put handles on their larger pots to make them easier to move? I'm thinking just a simple 1'x4' strip of the geotextile glued to the top edge?

Last edited:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
What about handles? Does anybody put handles on their larger pots to make them easier to move? I'm thinking just a simple 1'x4' strip of the geotextile glued to the top edge?

I think paradox cut handles out in that geotek. That stuff is thick. That's the down fall to this landscape fabric. I could pick up a 10gal and carry it if I grab around the bottom......but needless to say that's not happening with 30gal. Maybe 2 guys...one on each side could carry. But I'm sure liquid nails would hold handles of geotek on....or cut them out someway. I'm making some 10gal here in a few mins after the sun goes down :tiphat:

PARADOX

I never use handles .. I just grab the bags by the top of the lip and pick them up. seems to work anything too large you are dragging it . The roots will grow through the bottom and into the ground before you know it making it difficult to move

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I never use handles .. I just grab the bags by the top of the lip and pick them up. seems to work anything too large you are dragging it . The roots will grow through the bottom and into the ground before you know it making it difficult to move

I'm using about 10 of these bags. I dug the ground up good were I sit the pot so the roots can get in the soft ground easier. I cut holes into the landscape fabric bags I made. Lol I gotta pick mine up at the bottom....but once you get them leveled up you really don't wanna move them. That's the thing with these pots there not like a 5gal bucket you can move around. Just figure out a good sunny spot and leave them, or move them before they root outta the bottom into the ground. Mine are on the hillside so I can't really move them far, just to get them settled level. Thanks Paradox I'm glad you listed the sizes to make any size pot you want:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts