What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grafting?

ijim

I am interested in pure multiple strain seed production from one mother plant with selective pollination. Five fathers and one mother producing non crossed seed.

The Last Wood

Hey this thread is great.

I have a question, have you ever grafted a scion that is flowering to a vegging plant? I came across a pink plushberry pheno and had an accodent with the aero cloner n came home to shriveled clones.

So I'm thinking of grafting a scion from the pink plushberry to a tahoe og or jedi kush rootstock and letting it reveg.

Will this work?

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Nope,... never tried that move. I"ve taken cuttings from early flowering plants and gotten em to root as clones tho, so if I were in your situation that'd be my first attempt to keep the Pheno.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Well, it was pruning night for my Grafto mum,... both on the Root's and the top.

Took her out of a 2.5gal square plastic pot and whacked the roots, then put her back into a 3 gallon smart pot..... my hope is that I won't have to bonsai trim the roots nearly as often and it will just become a feeding regime.

The first 2 pics are AFTER trimming her back, the last shot is what I cut off of her,.... yeah, she was gettin bushy! :eek::
Pic 1: Front shot
Pic 2: Back shot
Pic 3: The carnage from pruning! :eek: If you think you see about 50 cuttings there, it's because you do, 45 cuttings 4 strains all from THIS plant,....... and every one of them is in the compost pile now. :frown:

Attachments

• IMG_2668.jpg
    IMG_2668.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2673.jpg
    IMG_2673.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2667.jpg
    IMG_2667.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 20

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Quick pick update of my dual strain flowering girl. :pimp3:

Pic,... One of these tops is not like the other! :artist:

Attachments

• IMG_2685.jpg
    IMG_2685.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 27

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Gettting a bit bigger, couldn't get any good macro shots last night, but the difference between the blueberry buds, and the vanniluna bud is pretty clear.

She's starting to pump up trichomes, and that's one of the main differences. Blueberry dusts em out on the leaves pretty far. vanniluna they stay more packed in on just the flowers and really close to the bud.

Attachments

• IMG_2711.jpg
    IMG_2711.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2712.jpg
    IMG_2712.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 34

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
LOL!

Thx HMR! Really it's the plant that's doing the work,... I'm just a trained chimp that gives it water and picks it over for bugs ;)

GraftoMum didn't take well to the pruning,.... got lots of leaf burn on older growth, She's growing well enough, but looking a bit pissed at me..... It's a good thing I've got other things brewing, because I'm not gonna get a good clone from that plant for a month at the least!

No doubt you'll do well enough...we've all got our "speriments" going...some do better than others, but that's what keeps us coming back. Even w/ a Cali limit I end up w/ surplus but I simply can't resist another "let's see what happens if".

Rosenthal knew his stuff about "growing it" being addictive.

HMR

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Been nearly 2 weeks,.... I've got nothing to show. (read no pics :eek:: )

Grafted node is NOT performing as expected, tho is looking exactly like I'd expect for the strain..... if that makes any sense?

When I can get some pics I will, but suffice to say I'm hitting a couple issues with flowering a grafted cannabis plant. :eek::

Greenheart

Veteran
Once I started "doming" the scions with ziplock bags my success rate improved tremendously.

I would like to hear more about the flowing stage of a grafted mom. I have been thinking of an enclosed 1 plant grow for breeding purposes myself.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
LOL! I'd repp ya,... but I've got to spread it around some.

Greenheart: Thanks for stoppin by! The plant I'm flowering wasn't a mom, just one that I got the wild burr up my ass to graft a single node to. So I'm only doing 2 strains at once. (And only 1 bud will be the second strain.)

Your not the first person to mention the idea of a single plant breeding thing...... but really for as much a pain in the ass as it is to get grafts going it's just not worth the effort IMO

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Had an Ahha! moment a couple day's ago,.... turns out the wife has been watering in flower without telling me! My Feeding schedule and PH is probably WAY out of whack!

I took pics last week,... but never got em posted, now I can't find the camera to even post the old pics! :eek::

I'm hoping I can get things to turn around a bit on the flowering, but sadly I've found signs of mites in flower where I can't spray for them (read that as WONT spray),

Nothing major, could be tripping, but better safe than sorry, and once everything in flower comes down, nothing goes in until massive disinfecting and quarantine happens.....

On the plus side I'll be able to get some work done with trying new techniques of grafting with my mother plant and some of the newer strains I've gotten recently.

Pics when I find where the wife stashed the camera,... hopefully this weekend. :tiphat:

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
I shot myself in the foot with this grow, I trained this plant WAY too much to the screen, the last 2 training sessions were IMHO over the top, and resulted in a plant who's canopy is spread out too much, ALL I'm gonna yield from this grow is popcorn!

None the less,

Pics finally! :blowbubbles:

Snagged these during lights off to rid myself of the orange glow and show the more true colors,.... taking pictures in the dark is F'n HARD!

Had my green headlamp on High, but my camera would barely detect it to auto-focus, and I had NO luck trying to manually focus it, so the shots kinda suck. :eek::

Pic 1: I'm holding the grafted bud,.... this is the beginning of week 7 IIRC, the graft was on one of the lower branches and isn't doing as well as I would like it to be doing. :frown:
Pic 2: You can see the different pheno in this pic pretty clearly :D
Pic 3: This is one of the larger cola's on the main blueberry root structure, not huge just a nice shot.
Pic 4: This is a pure Vanniluna bud that was started 2 weeks later as a control for the performance of the graft, the Vanniluna's stems are hollow, and much harder to train than the stems of the Blueberry, so these buds were allowed to go UP much quicker resulting in larger cola's.

Attachments

• IMG_2765.jpg
    IMG_2765.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2766.jpg
    IMG_2766.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2772.jpg
    IMG_2772.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2769.jpg
    IMG_2769.jpg