What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Aero Cloner the EZ-Cloner Replica in 10 Easy Steps!

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
Friends, just be aware that a 10-32 tap is not the same as a 5/16" drill.

A 10-32 tap is used for cutting machine threads into an already drilled hole.

10-32 indicates the hole size and the number of threads per inch.

A 5/16" drill is going to give you a hole over a quater of an inch in diameter.

Most misters will "swim" in a hole that big.

Since many misters have a different size bottom, if you don't own a guage, the best thing to do is to take one with you and match it up. Since both the mister and PVC are soft plastic, you really don't need to tap the hole. Just drill it slightly under-size and twist them in for a nice snug fit. No sealer will be needed, and they will stay in fine.

gmanwho

Veteran
I myseff didnt want to spend more money on taps, or time screwing each mister in. i drilled the hole a tad bigger the the mister, apply hot glue gun glue to the mister and push into the hole. Never had one pop out yet or leak. When they clog, i grab the pliers and with little force they pop out. Clean, reapply a little bit of glue to the mister base and pop in.

never put the glue on the pvc and push the mister in, this usually will clog the mister with glue. put glue on upper edge of top threads on the misters. Works great 4 me.

B-safe.

FrankRizzo

Listen to me jerky
It's alive

It's alive

Well thanks for the plans Mr King. I finished mine today and it works perfect. The first of my projects that I have completed. I just made a smaller one out of a 18 tub instead of 31. I don't need that many clones really. Can't wait to fill the sucker up.

FRizzo

:joint:

EZB581

I used these spray nozzles I found at Lowes. A 5/32 drill bit was a tight fit. The all thread that came with the ceiling hook made a near perfect tap for this particular brand of mister.

Last edited:
I'm working on a five gallon bucket model, just ordered a 525GPH pump. Its probably overkill for this size but you can adjust the flow and if I ever want to make a larger one, I can use the same pump.

One question, King mentioned using a table spoon of bleach, was that just to clean it later or should you run that while trying to get clones?

Later Nickel

Last edited:

Pipedream

Veteran
Bleach is just for cleaning. I clean mine by running hydrogen-peroxide through it. Either works great. During the cloning process, the only thing in mine is plain tap water, period. Nothing else and I don't adjust the PH either. Couldn't be easier.

Pipedream,

What kind of lighting do you use on your clones and do you keep the lights on 24-7?

I've tried almost every thing on my bubble cloner and have only had 2 clones root out of more than I want to count. I don't know what I'm doing wrong with it but I hope this system works better for me. Last bubble try, I used distilled water only and only had one root out of about ten cuttings, I see others with bubblers and all of there's root, pisses me off that I can't seem to get it to work. Do you think the aero cloner will bring me some better results?

Last edited:

Pipedream

Veteran
I've had much better results with my aero-cloner than my old bubble cloner. I too had mucho troubles and little success. The key here is keeping the unit totally clean & making sure the temps don't get too high. As far as lighting goes, I use a cheap CFL from the Dollar Store. Works great and I keep it on 24x7. You can see in the pic that I keep it a good distance above the cuts. Remember, you are just trying to keep them alive and root, not grow. If they get too much light they try to photosynthsize and they don't have roots or nutes to support that process. As a result, they use up their reserves held in their leaves, stress and die.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how my aero project turns out. I cant wait to get my pump and finish it. I found a barbeque place that I can get all the 5 gallon buckets with the lid included for free, they get the barbecue sauce in them and throw out the buckets and lids.

Later Nickel

Hindu Killer

Veteran
Awesome thread! Ive been looking at clone machine's and am glade I didnt by one. As Im now makeing one of these. I want mine to do 150 to 200 at a time. Any thoughts , any one??

Pipedream

Veteran
My pump is a mag-drive, and really doesn't warm the water too much. An external pump is a good idea, but requires much more plumbing and adds additional places for leaks. Additionally, the internal pump keeps everything self-contained.

One more tip I recently learned.....I was having good results, but one or two stations always developed slower. It turned out that they were not getting as much mist as the others. When you're finished building your units, take them outside, fill them with water, and let them run without the top on. Then rotate your sprayers till you have good even coverage. They look nice when they are all in the same direction, but run better when they are at different angles.

I just finished my 5 gallon bucket model, put the cuttings in yesterday and hope to see some roots in about a week. I was able to fit 13 holes in the lid so I think the size will be OK for my needs. Pipedream, what size pump are you using?

Later

Last edited:

Pipedream

Veteran
I beleive its a 525 GHP mag drive ViaAqua. 22 bucks U.S. at the local hydro shop.

24-7 means 24 hours per day amd 7 days a week, never goes off. Not sure about the pump, some run it 24 - 7 and others cycle the power. I leave mine on always but I have only one rooting after about 12 days.

Later,
Nickel

Last edited:

Flowerman

Just built one awhile back, and within one week, 99% had roots forming. Blows away the little bubbler. Had to use some rubber installation strips for the lid so it wouldn't leak, but other than that it's an awesome way to take cuts. Also just used regular tap water, hydroguard, and the clips were dipped in some rooting gel. Definitely won't go back to the bubbler system, but will still use rockwool when there's only a few cuts to be taken.

Latest posts

Latest posts