What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bag Appeal Ruing Weed and What Do You Think of Matt Riot...

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
I have seen many Mexican youngsters showing pics of those new Kush Afghan hybrid strains they have now there. They seem very excited about the thick buds. Sometimes someone shows some shwag buds which looks more legit.

I have smoked thick sugar like covered stinky buds, and the psychoactivity is far inferior compared to those ugly sparse sativa buds.

I cannot understand why smokers don't realize about that fact. Perhaps because there are not many real pure untamed sativa strains left nowadays.

View Image
Indonesian landrace

View Image

How was the Indonesian that sounds fuckin' exotic :tiphat:

I

Ignignokt

Just my .02 on my friend Matthew Riot is his work is phenomenal I have a Blue Cookieberry Crunch S-1 I will keep forever because it has all you could want in a strain as I perceive the flavor, yield, resin production and smoke effects to be absolutely incredible to each their own when it comes to perception of Riot. But imo if you don't get a pack I will get a few and run it on my riot seeds pack because after hearing how offensively skunk it is I personally want it. The stuff my friend had to go through to create that line definitely deserves recognition regardless of the myths that dude does work line very well and does NOT pollen chuck.. best of luck man

The guy has no clue and doesn't deserve recognition.
I seen him asking what an IX was.... how do you go around senlling random pollination's for $500 when you don't even know what an IX is?

Last edited:

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Lol trolling is common when riot gets brought up plus I do not agree.... I myself have learned quite a bit from him... But now I will finish loading this bowl peace

I

Ignignokt

I'm not trolling, just saying he isn't knowledgeable is known to be shady.
You don't get known to be shady for no reason....
If you want to give him your money, that's fine, it's your money.
There are so many other options (without the shade)....
The guy was asking for opinions.

X

xavier7995

I wouldnt say he is any more shady than the rest of the seedy world of seed breeders. He has been pretty spot on with calling out people i also view as frauds, and those are the folks i then see talking shit.
Just to clarify my earlier post, i think 500 is ridiculous for any seeds, sans some proven holy grail. If the market will pay that then right on, nothing dishonest about charging what you think your product is worth.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Nobody has offered me anything from riot worth asking for a clone or seeds from. I have not seen or read a grow report that makea me want any of his strains. At 500 a pack every pack should have a few keepers and they should be breed to throw great offspring. In pet breeding the most valuable animals are those with award winning offspring. I do not see breeders lining up to pay 500 a pack. I dont see any offspring of riot strains being hyped. So I call bullshit. Many companies charging 50 a pack for way tried and true strains and even the most current hyped strains rarely go over 150-200 a pack.

So I think much more than that is just an insult to growers intelligence. And a way to make money of the unedecated few that think paying extra guarantees quality.

pinkus

Veteran
I guess that I should actually weigh in on Matt. Many years ago I spent some time talking to him at a site that I modded at. I sent him some seeds from a nice X I had going on the agreement that he would send me something that I wanted in the future. I am more into sativa than the market in general so I waited. When he had some Columbian Gold I tried to call in the trade. He said NOT the Columbian, its too difficult to produce.

I stopped asking.
:shooty:

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
What is the difference of the "cookie scam family" charging 500 a pack for untested genetics as where riot may charge that much for TESTED genetics? And btw the rks affie reg is not five hundo look on the site it states four fifty and five hundo for the s-1

Much bigger difference compared to the other party imho also check his site outthere much more affordable packs... When I can I'm coppin some plat Nana bx

dugzy

I have been looking at the newer stuff for a while and see there are 230 varieties listed as his work. I do not see how it is possible to offer these as tried and true varieties at such a high cost to the buyer?

Bag appeal is something i am not at all bothered by, when you get older you learn not to judge a book by it's cover. The younger crowd make a lot of it but they did not have the import market for grass and hash that older smokers did.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
What is the difference of the "cookie scam family" charging 500 a pack for untested genetics as where riot may charge that much for TESTED genetics? And btw the rks affie reg is not five hundo look on the site it states four fifty and five hundo for the s-1

Much bigger difference compared to the other party imho also check his site outthere much more affordable packs... When I can I'm coppin some plat Nana bx

I would like to see all those grow reports and test results. Post a link please.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does anyone else think it's ironic that we're discussing price (of seeds) vs value and the reliability of bag appeal in the same thread?

I think we're seeing a shift in manicuring practices (at least here in California). I'm seeing more flower with intact sugary inter floral leaflets now. It also seems like some trimmers are getting more careful to cut only petiols at the base instead of chopping leaf ends off. That looks (and tastes!) good to old timers like me, and probably doesn't look too bad to the uninformed newbie either.

"You don't get what you pay for, you get what you know. And the more you know, the more you get". Mr. Greengenes

burningfire

Veteran
Does anyone else think it's ironic that we're discussing price (of seeds) vs value and the reliability of bag appeal in the same thread?

I think we're seeing a shift in manicuring practices (at least here in California). I'm seeing more flower with intact sugary inter floral leaflets now. It also seems like some trimmers are getting more careful to cut only petiols at the base instead of chopping leaf ends off. That looks (and tastes!) good to old timers like me, and probably doesn't look too bad to the uninformed newbie either.

"You don't get what you pay for, you get what you know. And the more you know, the more you get". Mr. Greengenes

I'm not sure if that's a new trend, I remember seeing a lot of leafy buds sold as-is because the leaflets were super frosty. I think it's strain dependent and very subjective.. some strains really benefit from a clean hit others can gain some depth if you leave the leaves on... the same goes for extra long cures, "indicas" usually get too stoney and bland but clear headed sativas can gain a new layer after a very long cure.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm not sure if that's a new trend, I remember seeing a lot of leafy buds sold as-is because the leaflets were super frosty. I think it's strain dependent and very subjective.. some strains really benefit from a clean hit others can gain some depth if you leave the leaves on... the same goes for extra long cures, "indicas" usually get too stoney and bland but clear headed sativas can gain a new layer after a very long cure.

Good points.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
I would like to see all those grow reports and test results. Post a link please.

Links I do not have but Riots word is trusting in my opinion. It states on his site he does all in house testing read for yourself. And don't forget you're entitled to your own opinion as I am mine

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
Matt Riot, the person? He's on a VERY short list of people I'd vouche for. Not just saying a few positive things about the guy in some random thread on a cannabis forum either. I'm talking about seriously vouching for the guy. In the real world. When the cost of being wrong is severe, I'll vouche for him. No hesitation.

Matt Riot the breeder? He's better educated than the majority breeders out there. Without a doubt. Tom, Hyb, Sam, Chim, Nspecta..... He's right there, eating at the big boy table for sure. No joke. No exaggeration.

As far as what he charges for his seeds goes, who the fuk is anybody to tell another person what their effort is worth?

To expensive for your blood? Grow the fuk up and deal with it instead of complaining like a bunch of little kids.

His gear? What I've grown is TOP NOTCH! I was smoking on his P91s1 earlier today. The cut I got was selected by a guy with close ties to the original crew that ran P91 down in San Diego. CLOSE TIES! I know of a couple of other tough to please guys that run it and they ain't gonna let her go anytime soon. A few that remember it from back in the day and have toked this cut have suggested that it's better than the original.

As far as Matt not holding up his end of a trade, I think that's complete bullshit. It's just not the dudes character. The poster may well have sent him seeds from "cool crosses" but I'm willing to bet they weren't worth what he asked(expected) for in return. Embarrassing as it is getting denied for grabbing at the guys best shit is, it's nobody fault but his own for not keeping in touch.

Yes, the mthrfkr's always down to mix it up. He's quick to call a fraud out online for sure. I personally respect that about him. Most in his position would rather not rock the boat. Better for them to turn a blind eye than possibly face the criticisms of some squids minions. That may be the smart play, it just ain't him.

I know him pretty well. Well enough to be certain his goal isn't to just cause drama. Truth is he'd probably rather just kick the dudes teeth out and be done with it.

And that BULLSHIT about him scamming for cuts back in San Diego or how he had a "heavy mite load"....I won't even bother.

Edit:Someone posted earlier that Matt didn't know what an IX was. That's either a lie or taken way out of context. I'm imagining the possibility that he was stoned or maybe was thinking out loud, asking himself a simple question before he commented. Brain fart. Being Johnny on spot like that, fielding random questions, what other breeder does that? Dudes will go live and hype their latest whatever but take a shot at answering ANY question? Na

Bag appeal ruining the quality of high? If that's what plants are being selected for, yeah. It'll go to shit.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Matt Riot, the person? He's on a VERY short list of people I'd vouche for. Not just saying a few positive things about the guy in some random thread on a cannabis forum either. I'm talking about seriously vouching for the guy. In the real world. When the cost of being wrong is severe, I'll vouche for him. No hesitation.

Matt Riot the breeder? He's better educated than the majority breeders out there. Without a doubt. Tom, Hyb, Sam, Chim, Nspecta..... He's right there, eating at the big boy table for sure. No joke. No exaggeration.

As far as what he charges for his seeds goes, who the fuk is anybody to tell another person what their effort is worth?

To expensive for your blood? Grow the fuk up and deal with it instead of complaining like a bunch of little kids.

His gear? What I've grown is TOP NOTCH! I was smoking on his P91s1 earlier today. The cut I got was selected by a guy with close ties to the original crew that ran P91 down in San Diego. CLOSE TIES! I know of a couple of other tough to please guys that run it and they ain't gonna let her go anytime soon. A few that remember it from back in the day and have toked this cut have suggested that it's better than the original.

As far as Matt not holding up his end of a trade, I think that's complete bullshit. It's just not the dudes character. The poster may well have sent him seeds from "cool crosses" but I'm willing to bet they weren't worth what he asked(expected) for in return. Embarrassing as it is getting denied for grabbing at the guys best shit is, it's nobody fault but his own for not keeping in touch.

Yes, the mthrfkr's always down to mix it up. He's quick to call a fraud out online for sure. I personally respect that about him. Most in his position would rather not rock the boat. Better for them to turn a blind eye than possibly face the criticisms of some squids minions. That may be the smart play, it just ain't him.

I know him pretty well. Well enough to be certain his goal isn't to just cause drama. Truth is he'd probably rather just kick the dudes teeth out and be done with it.

And that BULLSHIT about him scamming for cuts back in San Diego or how he had a "heavy mite load"....I won't even bother.

Edit:Someone posted earlier that Matt didn't know what an IX was. That's either a lie or taken way out of context. I'm imagining the possibility that he was stoned or maybe was thinking out loud, asking himself a simple question before he commented. Brain fart. Being Johnny on spot like that, fielding random questions, what other breeder does that? Dudes will go live and hype their latest whatever but take a shot at answering ANY question? Na

Bag appeal ruining the quality of high? If that's what plants are being selected for, yeah. It'll go to shit.

I dont know him, he can be really good guy and his beans can be really nice. but I looked at punk fucking rock seed company, and most strains are just what everybody else is doing banana ogk cookies sorbet gelato alien bubba headband bluedream even destroyer??!?!? piff x white? haha you HYPED him big time. his work is definitely NOT up there with sam´s work, chimera or Tom Hill. you have to be joking or something LOL when I look at those crosses with all those hyped fancy names, I cant call him a breeder. its jsut seedmaker and seller, thats all...

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
it seems also that he is great reader of cannabis internet forums and so he knows that hype bullshit about road kill, blueberry pre2000, piff and f1 durban etc. hahahaha I wonder that he doesnt have any cross with A5 :D he prolly didnt get his hands on it yet..