What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Apologies for not replying sooner although I see that Tangwena Sensei has already replied.

Once I get the smell that I really like then I will dry them really well but in reality they still won't be bone dry. It's only when I cut a small chunk off of the cob and keep it in a jar that it fully dries.

4-5g weight loss sounds reasonable, so they probably are good to be sealed up for aging at a lower temperature. You can always check them in a month or so and see if they seem more moist than you think the should be.

Try as much as possible to let your instincts guide you.
Gold brother.

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Fascinating.
Had an Archer pheno that leaned sativa. Was about to jar it when I stumbled on this excellent thread.
Average temperature here is 80 F. so, it's a good fit.
Ran by Costco looking for sweet corn for the husks but came up dry.
In Hawaii we wrap food in Ti leaves. Tried fresh n green, and old n brown. The fresh worked a treat. Brown works but tends to split.
Does it affect the taste? Won't really know until I've used corn husk.
Wife brought home tamales. I washed and dried the husk and it, surprisingly, did not add a tamale scent.
Found that I can order corn husk on Amazon. Did so.
Am now chopping a 12' Thai plant. Every bud has several frosted "foxtails". Nipping just the tails and will husk 'em into bondage a z. at a time.
I'm a medical grower in Hawaii and my goal here is to eliminate solvents used to extract RSO.
The RSO, un-decarbed, has 2 cancer patients in remission with just one 85mg. capsule per day.
Alas, the extraction process is hazardous and expensive as well as labor intensive.
Syringing the exact dosage into capsules takes time and skill.
Good bud yields app. 20% oil by weight.
So. What I wish to do, is find the equivalent weight that I need of cobbed bud.
If I can wrap it as a cylinder and cut it into "pills" the entire solvent process goes away.
First take? 85mg. x 5.
Hmm, 425mg. sounds quite, dare I say it? High.
What do you guys think would be appropriate?
Mahalo nui for this excellent thread.

Taima-da

Might start at half that and see how the individual goes with it. As sensitivity develops you may find that person will need more or less depending on the individual, cob quality and how high the recipient wants to be. I'm happy all day on 0.1-0.2 but can work and function fairly well.
On days off I might have 0.3-.04 (or even 0.5 if feeling like a trip away from day to day existence) but will usually be prepared to be really high at some moments through the day.
Also alternating different cobs from day to day helps keep the experience fresh and vibrant

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
Fascinating.
Had an Archer pheno that leaned sativa. Was about to jar it when I stumbled on this excellent thread.
In Hawaii we wrap food in Ti leaves. Tried fresh n green, and old n brown. The fresh worked a treat. Brown works but tends to split.
Wife brought home tamales. I washed and dried the husk and it, surprisingly, did not add a tamale scent.
Am now chopping a 12' Thai plant. Every bud has several frosted "foxtails". Nipping just the tails and will husk 'em into bondage a z. at a time.
I'm a medical grower in Hawaii and my goal here is to eliminate solvents used to extract RSO.
The RSO, un-decarbed, has 2 cancer patients in remission with just one 85mg. capsule per day.
Alas, the extraction process is hazardous and expensive as well as labor intensive.
If I can wrap it as a cylinder and cut it into "pills" the entire solvent process goes away.
First take? 85mg. x 5.
A 12' Thai plant, wow!.

I've often wondered myself how cob would equate to oil in a medicinal sense; So I'll be very interested in hearing your results.

425mg is a good dose! obviously it's dependant on the starting material going into the cob but if it's proper strong, then unless you have a high tolerance, you'll be well high.

Mrs DM takes anywhere between 50mg-200mg and is high all day. I have a tolerance of a horse and when I first started eating cob would take upwards of 750mg, these days a good dose for me is somewhere between 100mg and 500mg.

ProfessorLefty

9DC51708-0E57-45E6-8887-D439A2D18117.jpeg

Here’s my sole remaining Ace Auto Zamaldelica (other one succumbed to botrytis), got about 2 weeks left.

Planning on cobbing the whole thing, wild guess is 2 oz. dried, so maybe 4 cobs?

Last time the cob was way too wet (leaves barely wilted, buds were still fresh), so this time I’m going to try and dial in the moisture content. Last time, I harvested the whole plant, dried it to 75% of harvest weight, then cobbed the flower. Fully dried weight turned out to be 25% of harvest weight, so this time I think I’ll make 1 cob at 50% harvest weight, and additional cobs at around 40%, 35%, and 30%.

CDNINCA

Hi all, as promised, here's a few shots of the progress so far with the Malawi Gold strain that I grew this past season.
First two, hanging while initially drying and trimming of some of the plant in progress...
Second two, 28 grams for the cob and a closeup detail of how it looks
Lastly, two cobs done, and I've got some more to work with so I'm tempted to create a few more.
As I'm new to all of this, and I don't know what to expect with the final product, I'm trying to decide if I should cob some more or stick with the two that I have? Any thoughts?
I suspect that it may turn out amazing and I don't want to find that I didn't cob enough?? Also, as the plant took forever to finish flowering, and the weather here cooperated enough this fall to enable it to do so, I'm thinking that I might not be so lucky next time around in getting it to finish properly. So, if this is all that I might get, cob more?
More shots of the process to follow as things progress...

Attachments

• IMG_0615.JPG
    IMG_0615.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0621.JPG
    IMG_0621.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0634.JPG
    IMG_0634.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0638.JPG
    IMG_0638.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 49

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
View attachment 18794082

Here’s my sole remaining Ace Auto Zamaldelica (other one succumbed to botrytis), got about 2 weeks left.

Planning on cobbing the whole thing, wild guess is 2 oz. dried, so maybe 4 cobs?

Last time the cob was way too wet (leaves barely wilted, buds were still fresh), so this time I’m going to try and dial in the moisture content. Last time, I harvested the whole plant, dried it to 75% of harvest weight, then cobbed the flower. Fully dried weight turned out to be 25% of harvest weight, so this time I think I’ll make 1 cob at 50% harvest weight, and additional cobs at around 40%, 35%, and 30%.
Sounds like a good plan.

It's good to experiment with different moisture content so as to start to tell the difference it makes.

This season I've made a couple of cobs from each of my plants whilst they are still very fresh ie 1-2 days old, but the majority of them have been made after the weed is much drier.

I tend to make my cobs anywhere between 30-60g in weight (dry weight).

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
Is this the starting weight or finished cob weight?
Finished weight. I use 2 tubes of different sizes and compact them as much as I possibly can. One produces cobs of around 30g and the other about 50-60g, depending how far i fill it.

I like big cobs! Although I don't believe the size makes any difference to the fermentation, although I may well be wrong.

wuluz

Hi all, as promised, here's a few shots of the progress so far with the Malawi Gold strain that I grew this past season.
First two, hanging while initially drying and trimming of some of the plant in progress...
Second two, 28 grams for the cob and a closeup detail of how it looks
Lastly, two cobs done, and I've got some more to work with so I'm tempted to create a few more.
As I'm new to all of this, and I don't know what to expect with the final product, I'm trying to decide if I should cob some more or stick with the two that I have? Any thoughts?
I suspect that it may turn out amazing and I don't want to find that I didn't cob enough?? Also, as the plant took forever to finish flowering, and the weather here cooperated enough this fall to enable it to do so, I'm thinking that I might not be so lucky next time around in getting it to finish properly. So, if this is all that I might get, cob more?
More shots of the process to follow as things progress...
Everyone who starts cob production faces this decision. But believe me, it will change in an instant when you try a mature cob for the first time. The pros are, pistons last a very long time and get better and better over the first few years. Weed hardened in the jar will soon degrade.
I would only harden as much in the glass that I have enough for about 4 months, process everything else into cobs :)

Tangwena

Veteran
Fascinating.
First take? 85mg. x 5.
Very cool motives my friend.
Do the patients get high from the oil?
If not then tread cautiously until they get used to it.

Latest posts

Latest posts