What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A perfect cure every time

TLoft13

That's one of the nice things about the practice; it can be scaled for almost any grow. I started working on it with a 600 watt garden. Now, some 3000 watts later, it still proves itself.

Simon
+ repped, Big thanks to you!
Does this work with LARGE containers, in the same way?
Any notable difference where i put the meter (top, bottom ect.)?
TLoft13

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Hey Simon,
Would you say 60-65% RH for curing and 55-60% RH for storage?

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
interesting, thanks for the info.....

ive used desiccant in the past, hoping when the time was near to puff i could burp the jars to let the moisture back into the bone dry herb (sloppy method, this is growing in mold country though) this seemed to spoil the quality of the bud, aroma, taste wise.

simon, is desiccant a no-no?

I've only used desiccant to keep moisture at bay in a large storage container filled with vacuum sealed (then sealed again) jars. If the cure goes well, the product-filled, sealed container shouldn't need any further effort. The remaining moisture in the stems, as well as in the flower mass, will maintain a stable environment.

Nice info simon just wondering were you store your jars when curing and after, i have a friend who puts them in his fridge...

I store the product in a cool, dry basement. The jars are packed, vacuum sealed, vacuum sealed again in a large bag, then put in a Rubbermaid-type tub lined with a contractor's garbage bag. I typically toss some desiccant into the bag. If storing for a very long term, I re-vacuum seal once a year or so.

It's important to note that the product should remain at a constant RH for ~5 days. Even then, if the flowers were brought down to that RH relatively quickly - say, 1 week vs 3 weeks - one should err on the side of caution and bring the RH down to the lower side of the scale - ~55-57%. OTOH, if the flowers' RH was brought down relatively slowly, it can be stored at ~60% RH. Though the difference, on paper, is just a few percentage points, it can be literally felt on the product, itself.

+ repped, Big thanks to you!
Does this work with LARGE containers, in the same way?

Absolutely. I typically use 1gal jars, and sometimes 2gal in the initial stages. There's no reason to think that a hygrometer dropped into a 18gal tub wouldn't work the same way.

Any notable difference where i put the meter (top, bottom ect.)?
TLoft13

Once the product's RH is stable, placement makes no difference. If there's excess moisture in the stems, readings will vary with location.

Hey Simon,
Would you say 60-65% RH for curing and 55-60% RH for storage?

You bet!

There's some play in those numbers. Say, you dried on a rack for 4-6 days, jarred the product when it felt dry, but the stems still had a little flex. At this point, you can bring the product down at virtually any desired speed. If it's a commercial crop, it can be stable at ~65% in a matter of a week, and feel sticky and full of resin. I wouldn't suggest storing those flowers at that RH long term, though, as they'll surely gain moisture over the course of just a few weeks.

If that same flowers were brought down to ~65% RH slowly, they can be stored at the higher side of the scale, especially if a more resinous-feeling, if you will, end product is desired.

Simon

AKDrifter

Excellent info. I just picked up three after reading this thread a few days ago. I activated the three, two are on and one is +1% RH from the other two, that's darn good for the price.

I also saw the previous posts about the tobacco storage and such. I have stored loose bud in a humidor before, it worked great, if you do not mind the Spanish cedar smell. You can buy humidity regulating beads that will maintain RH at 60%, 65%, or 70%, they absorb humidity when the air is wet and release it when the RH drops, charged with nothing but distilled water they are not going to hurt anything.
A large walk in humidor minus the Spanish cedar set at 60f and 60%rh would be the ultimate, "the Ganjador" for those that have everything, a walk in with 25 aged strains for your smoking pleasure, built off the billiard room across from the bar. I wonder how long bud at 60%rh would stay good in a closely monitored environment.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
A large walk in humidor minus the Spanish cedar set at 60f and 60%rh would be the ultimate, "the Ganjador" for those that have everything, a walk in with 25 aged strains for your smoking pleasure, built off the billiard room across from the bar. I wonder how long bud at 60%rh would stay good in a closely monitored environment.

You're a man after my own heart. lol

Simon

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Beeg Mahalo!

Beeg Mahalo!

nice!

you can find them on amazon for under $15

http://www.amazon.com/Caliber-III-D...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1264436163&sr=8-1

Dimensions: 3.5" x 1.25" x .25"

I do, I do!

For you:
Ladybug.jpg

DSC09408.jpg

bug boink.jpg

real ladybug.jpg

Alo Ha
Weezard

wowzerz

Just ordered 2 from Amazon, thanks for the tip Simon, I will try these out the same way you dry and cure, and post my results. Will have some going into jars in about a week, hopefully my order will be here by then.

icough2getoff

I bought one of these and have it in a Jar of Flo, (pheno that I haven't grown before). I'm chopping a bunch of Blue Moon Rocks girls today that I've grown a few times so I'm going to test it out with them too. I have it steady at 60% right now and I have a feeling I've been over drying my weed if all this info is correct.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
I bought one of these and have it in a Jar of Flo, (pheno that I haven't grown before). I'm chopping a bunch of Blue Moon Rocks girls today that I've grown a few times so I'm going to test it out with them too. I have it steady at 60% right now and I have a feeling I've been over drying my weed if all this info is correct.

Very interesting. If you don't mind my asking, approximately, how long as the product been drying and how long has the hygrometer sat in the closed container?

Simon

Directrix

Where I cure the humidity is about %15.

I dry in card board boxes with string and keep the tops open. Then just fan the air out once or twice a day and dry for 2 days. Then just go to the jars and burp the jars like 4 times a day for as long as needed. The boxes start the RH at about %70 for the first 12 hours then it drops to 50% for the remainder of the next day and a half then put them in jars before the outside totally dries out.

You can eventually just learn how long they need burped by experimenting. Burping the jars is my main vice for starting the curing process.

icough2getoff

Very interesting. If you don't mind my asking, approximately, how long as the product been drying and how long has the hygrometer sat in the closed container?

Simon

I dried the Flo for about 4-5 days, and it's been in the Jar for almost 24 hours, been sitting steady at 60%. If I didn't have the hygrometer in there, I would have normally dried it a bit longer I think.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
I dried the Flo for about 4-5 days, and it's been in the Jar for almost 24 hours, been sitting steady at 60%. If I didn't have the hygrometer in there, I would have normally dried it a bit longer I think.

It sounds like the flowers can still gain a bit of moisture. Here's how you can tell. If the stems on the top colas are snapping cleanly, the odds are that a big hike in the RH of the product won't take place and that it'll most likely gain just a few points of moisture over the next few weeks. If the (big) stems snap with some flex, the product has a way to go, depending.

Thanks for the feedback, BTW.

Simon

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This thread has been a golden nugget. I was just starting my first cure when I read this.

It's sitting right at 60%.

So easy a caveman could do it. You, sir, are the man! Many thanks.

:smokeit:

Latest posts

Latest posts