What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Soil help!

Calikannabis

Hey everyone,
My goal for this upcoming grow is to not add any nutrients, just what the soil has to offer the plant. I’m going to do 3 transplants. I want to use different soil brands for each transplant to prevent nute burn but also have enough nutrients to last the plant until harvest. Starting seeds in solo party cups for two weeks - transplanting into 3 gal pots - transplanting into final 7gal smart pot until harvest. I was thinking of going: Happyfrog-Roots707-oceanforest.
My question is what would be ideal soils for this grow, anything helps. Thanks.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I would use anything but Fox Farms and add worm castings, compost, and perilite. Then ammend with compost when needed.

I don't see any reason to use new soil every transplant. Just make one batch and use that to up pot.

I usually transplant before flower. Then re-ammend after the stretch. That should last you until fade.

Last edited:

hansNfrans

Hey CaliK! Good luck on your grow!

Look at the sticky in this section above, organically for beginners. BurnOne has a great thread that shows exactly what you need. Cheers! -Hans

brickweeder

I usually transplant before flower. Then re-ammend after the stretch. That should last you until fade.

Hey Lester, when you say you re-ammend after the stretch, does this mean you are reamending your soil while it is in the pot with a plant growing in it? If so, how do you do that?

I have had decent experiences with FFOF, although I did find the pH can be low (5.4 through 5.9 in one batch depending on sample location). Edna's Best is the one mix that I would avoid at all costs...I have that stuff to be junkola.

Mengsk

Organic I think of as earthworms in the pots/soil. At the 7 gal level it can still be done - amend it first then use ACT. If you use a liquid fertilizer instead every second or third watering that might give you a better success rate.

gladysvjubb

Veteran
I do not know where in the world you are but I'm in Alabama USA and I use PRO-MIX. I buy it by the bale around 60 lbs dry. Cost? $30. Been using it since 1980.

Out of those options I would just stick with 707 or start with something lighter on nutes like black gold. OF is okay I would only use it for the beer cups.

I would top dress (compost etc) or water in teas or liquid ferts or a combo at least a few times to aid in flower development.