What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis grafting

Budley Doright

Veteran
I have done grafting with fruit trees..... actually not that hard....

Fruit trees however are most often done when they are dormant...

You dont have that luxury with cannabis....

Grafting cannabis is very difficult.....

By the way there is a near zero chance of grafting cannabis on another plant......like tomato.......

In the video you posted.....he said he had failed his 5 previous attempts....

the attempt in the video probably failed too....

Until that graft grows out there is no success.....

I do agree the saddle or wedge graft seems like the most likely to use.....

Good luck....

you are going to need it....

Budley Doright

Veteran
You might find something useful in this thread.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=215991&highlight=grafting

I've done this grafting thing as a way to keep plant count lower, while preserving genetics that aren't constantly running.

That thread is several years old....

and pretty much ends like this....

Threadstarter...

Please post your results here, or if nothing else hit this thread up with a link to your own experiments!

Then there is the sound of nothing but crickets......

Grafting cannabis imo.....is not reliable enough to be useful.....

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have not experimented with this myself much, however have seen a few people try and fail with grafting, grafting has made it into the competitive growing world recently so I started working on ways to get better success at grafting and wrote this stuff on the subject. When this method is done correctly you can grow any strain as if it was big bud or money maker without having to cross it. Grafting is quite possibly the future of cannabis growing.

-----------------

This seems to be a newer technic being used in competitive veggie grower yield competitions to enhance the nutrients...this technic could be used in breeding also in order to attach 5 or more different female strains onto 1 plant thus growing out 5 or more different strains in the space of just 1 plant thus increasing amount of crossed strains.

Basically you take a strain you like and graft it to the root system of a massive strain like big bud and thus you get big bud's entire growth genetics into a favorite strain of your choice without loosing qualities...would be great for creating a massive CBD plant.

First a video on how exactly to graft
Search on youiube for "How To: Graft Marijuana - Multiple Strains on a Single Cannabis Plant "

Advanced methods
Search on youtube for "How to graft cucurbits"
Search on youtube for "How to Graft Greenhouse Tomatoes "

Now on to Grafting in order to turn nutrients into super steroids.

----------
"the question of why one would want a 2,000 pound pumpkin gives way to an even better one: how does one make a 2000 pound pumpkin?
The pumpkins wear blankets. They get special nutrient-rich elixirs or experimental bacterial concoctions. Some growers even toy with other techniques, she says: “grafting two vines onto a single plant in order to double the nutrients reaching the fruit.”
Giant pumpkin growers are pushing and pushing, racing towards the limit of maximal pumpkin. Where they'll stop, nobody knows."
smithsonian.com
October 24, 2014
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/how-grow-giant-pumpkin-180953140/?no-ist

---------------

Award winning competitive yield grower Mark Clementz grafting watermellons in order to boost nutrients
Search on youtube for Mark Clementz'

"Grafting Watermelons" and "Watermelon grafting!" (two videos)

------------------

Here is link to the guinness book of world records proving the grafting technic really did grow the world's largest watermellon
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/heaviest-watermelon

----------

If you believe what the bolded part says you better do some more reading.
In no way, what so ever, will there be any genetic recombinations made due to grafting. If this were the case, breeders would be obsoleet. (For those that know, there is no pun intended. Hehehe)

I'm going to order the omega grafting tool and give this a try. I've spent the last few hours reading up on it and watching videos. With my limited space it can be a lifesaver. My 2 moms are massive right now so I'm thinking of air layering the top half of my Hazey Dazy and grafting a nice cutting of critical Kush to her. All the genetics I have on the way, I could use the extra space to test out a pack at a time

Budley Doright

Veteran
Im not going to tell anyone how to spend their money.....

But fruit trees are grafted in a dormant stage...and are not very compatible with what should be used for cannabis.....

Since the cannabis will not be dormant....a process more like tomatoes will probably have more success.....

something like this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHnOYcI6B44

The omega tool works with stem sizes too large for work in cannabis grafting imo.....

Im not going to tell anyone how to spend their money.....

But fruit trees are grafted in a dormant stage...and are not very compatible with what should be used for cannabis.....

Since the cannabis will not be dormant....a process more like tomatoes will probably have more success.....

something like this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHnOYcI6B44

The omega tool works with stem sizes too large for work in cannabis grafting imo.....

You have a point about the omega tool budley. When I get excited about something I'll admit I'm quick to get sucked into the hype and buy anything and everything if I can.

I watched the video on tomato grafting which is really interesting. For the sake of experimentation I'll try anything once. I guess I'll be posting my pics up in this thread after feeding in the morning. I'm excited to try this if anything, just for shits and giggles

EvilCartman

That thread is several years old....

It is. I followed it over here from C.com. There are still plenty of lil' tidbits to be found in it. It was useful to me. I hope the OP finds something helpful, as well.

Grafting cannabis imo.....is not reliable enough to be useful.....

I suppose it depends on your goals. I found it useful. Six strains on one root system. :huggg:

Haven't had to deal with it, since the state went med-legal. It's a lot of extra work.

Budley Doright

Veteran
All right.... you guys have inspired me....

Iv ordered some grafting clips....

Imo the wrong methods are typically used to get limited success....

I know of ony a few people who have actually grafted successfully....

Im planning to plant 3 one gallon containers inside a 7 gallon....

The center plant will be the receiving plant....

Im planning to use an approach graft.....

That should solve the problem with wilty clones......

Traditionally its used on larger live plants.....

OPO

Yuo can not graft a cannabis scion or a Stem with root system to Tomatos,Nettles,Hops what I know ,but you ve good chances to graft cannabis to Humulus-scanden/japonicus aka Japanese hops.
=netxt brother of Cannabis + a one saison plant as Cannabis are .
This realy works I read many times + the root system of the Jap Hops can be very powerfull too.
-But the result will grow different as graftet with cannabis I think:=different rootstem-system of Jap Hops = different trais by the way how the graftings grows and flowers!)
;)
-But the pollen of bouth are will not be fertile,-because of the fast genetic drift of bouth species = unpossible

OPO

I know it form someone who ve try all this experiment with grafting : The nettle is realy by genetic and plant structure more near brothered with cannabis as with Tomatos or potatos.
If you will graft a nettle scion at a cannabis stem it will not survive the first month ;)
= I know this from the practise of a man who try this with Hops,Nettles and the Jap Hops.
=So only who will survive ;)
May I can show you some nice result the end of 2016 with a Humulus-Scandens Grafted with a scion of a onw Leaf-Mutant-strain webbed as the Ducksfoot but without rips and some other nice stuff :)

ozza

Veteran
Go do some proper science kids, cause if you don't understand a tomato doesn't graft to cannabis, there is a lot you need to learn before even attempting this.

Betterhaff

Veteran
The further up the “family tree” the less the chance of success…meaning “family < genus < species”. Beyond “family” chances are very, very, slim if not impossible.

Latest posts

Latest posts