What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hombre
Here is the indoor grown C5Haze x KC wrapped up a few months back. Went in quite dry and without smell. Smell is no different but the high is beginning to mellow. Not so heavy between the eyes and more active. Back in the vac for another couple months. Anything to report on your outdoor grown plant. We harvested about the same time.
2nd picture of an overly wet Panama. Still oozing moisture, but amazingly to me is how the smell has improved. Wouldn't think something this wet in a no air environment could get better. Broke off a bit and will chew later, still very early. Will dry this for a few hrs. and then vac. again
This process has so many advantages; space saver, smell enhanced when done properly, cured to a chewable, etc.
Thanks all, for posting and helping.

View attachment 18812521
Nice job man I love a strong Panama.
Reminds of the first time I chewed a good Panama cob it took me by surprise I wasn't expecting it to hit so hard.
I was on the on ramp to the freeway listening to the Beach Boys on the car radio.
Suddenly I was in California in the 60's !
I had to pull off at the next exit and try to fly my car back home ha ha.
One of my best highs ever.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Can anyone give a few details on 'chewing'?

How much for a seasoned pothead?

Do you actually chew it or is it more like 'dip' where you just place it between your cheek and gums?

Do you swallow or spit? (no blow job jokes LOL)

How long until you get off?

Is it different than eating regular edibles?

What's the minimum time before a cob is ready to chew?

Sorry for the baby questions.

I just looked at mine through the plastic. It is about a month in. I plan to open and inspect next week.

Thanks again for the introduction to cobbing.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The guy who was to hook up my internet came out today, and I knew him from an acquaintance. He is from Africa, but had never been to Malawi, so mabe a taste was in order. I broke out a little cob of OHz, and it was pretty nice smelling. We fired up a spliff of the stuff, and the smoke was smooth and nice. I sent him on his way with the rest of the doobie. Too bad about the next install job. Some SKOHLP and Hazey Cindy went also, in seed form.

Taima-da

@Ringodoggie
It gets better as it ages, i rarely try before 4 months. Having said that I did chew some young cob with a bit of seed in it, as recommended by Tangwena, and it does seem to come into it's own earlier than seedless cob.
Nine months to a year of ageing and you'll really notice the difference in comparison to what comes out of a jar.
It will still work earlier but the duration and cleanliness of the effect are not nearly as good.

I chew every little bit thoroughly for as long as I can and usually swallow. Spitting the remnants after chewing gives a modified effect, more up up and less "holy f@*#" up.

Works best with little to no tolerance from smoking, start with 0.5g, you may find after you tune in to the effect that 0.2-.03 works just as good. Some days call for a bit more though and occasional top ups work great, though less is needed for that.

I find it's usually noticeable after something like 15 minutes, but increasing for the first couple of hours.

Though it depends on what you put in and as they say, your milage may vary, I find well aged sativa cob better by far than any edibles I've encountered in years of trying and making all sorts

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
You guys are so cool man.
I also had a super man day nothing phased me bring it on the more the merrier ha ha.

Can anyone give a few details on 'chewing'?

How much for a seasoned pothead?
The biggest draw back to seeing the other side is smoking brother, it fucks with your tolerance something fierce.
You really need to stop smoking to get the best highs but I know how difficult that can be.

So 3/4 of a gram should overdose you and overcome your tolerance nicely if its good pot.
once you understand the high is like nothing you have experienced before you can start to enjoy much smaller doses and hopefully not need to smoke as well.

Its a different life style buddy like a monk in a red robe so different from everything else.

Last edited:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Today Mrs DM and myself try the 3 or more so months old Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian. Early impressions are very good. Tingling scalp and ringing in the ears. I can feel surges rushing through my body. We're about 3/4 hr or so in.

Looks like my growing plans have changed a little this year. My ever growing bean collection has just increased by another 5 mind bending Sativas,
Ace's
Golden Tiger x Panama Feminized
Green Haze 19 A5 Feminized
Killer A5 Haze Feminized
Zenith Feminized
and some 2006 Cannabiogen Destroyer!

It's getting silly, all 5 have to be near my top choices. I already had in my head what I was going to grow this year and this has just turned everything upside down.
Thankfully 5 plants will give me sufficient for several yrs worth of cob.

Eating cob is such an efficient way that it starts to accumulate.

It's a lovely feeling to be able to give so much away to friends and still have loads.🙂

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Today Mrs DM and myself try the 3 or more so months old Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian. Early impressions are very good. Tingling scalp and ringing in the ears. I can feel surges rushing through my body. We're about 3/4 hr or so in.

Looks like my growing plans have changed a little this year. My ever growing bean collection has just increased by another 5 mind bending Sativas,
Ace's
Golden Tiger x Panama Feminized
Green Haze 19 A5 Feminized
Killer A5 Haze Feminized
Zenith Feminized
and some 2006 Cannabiogen Destroyer!

It's getting silly, all 5 have to be near my top choices. I already had in my head what I was going to grow this year and this has just turned everything upside down.
Thankfully 5 plants will give me sufficient for several yrs worth of cob.

Eating cob is such an efficient way that it starts to accumulate.

It's a lovely feeling to be able to give so much away to friends and still have loads.🙂
WOW! next years going to be interesting brother the Destroyer and Zenith got me very interested to watch that grow.
i took some Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopia cob at 10.30 am today had a trippy magic productive blissful day.
Its 11pm now and no signs of sleep yet just go go go.
I cant understand how I'm so tired and lazy straight ha ha.
I was thinking the other day I have only had 3 days where I felt down and jaded so far this year and they were all days when I was straight ha ha.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
3 days straight and it's only February! , you are ok, aren't you?.😂

I once went several months straight but that was only to prove to one of my children that I could "last until the end of the week".

I've always taken the path of least resistance and followed that great adage
"Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow".
The Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian good for getting me going.
That first pheno of the zenith sounds exactly what we both need. Imagine that cobbed!

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
That first pheno of the zenith sounds exactly what we both need. Imagine that cobbed!
Yes Dubi is always spot on with his descriptions of the highs he never over sells them either.
Try and make some seeds if its good cobbed.

I'm just cruising along with my Mulanje and its crosses not much else interests me these days.
I just like the effects too much they fit in with my lack of a personality ha ha.
I know my wife cant get enough of me when I'm high ha ha.

Oh yeah I was straight for 5 years a while back chasing money it was a big enough buzz.
But now I have enough I need the excitement of tripping on cob it makes me feel like I'm sixteen again.
Its Gods gift to us all a second chance at enjoying life.

You know the old whinge "I wish I knew then what I know now".
Well guess what its easy to get back and with what you know now you can really enjoy that time again ha ha.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
So this morning for breakfast i decided to open up what remains of some New Caledonia colas that were just put into a vac bag as they were. These were made with our 2021 harvest and are all that are left of it 😟.
IMG_20230223_120604.jpg
IMG_20230223_120615.jpg
IMG_20230223_120637.jpg

Unfortunately the camera (or perhaps my poor photography skills) didn't pick up how they sparkle; you'll just have to trust me!.
I've only taken enough for us both to be "bent silly" today and now they'll be resealed and put away for another time.

Edit.

3 hrs after take off and it's very trippy/spacey. It's not a particularly energising one at all; more for laying on the beach🌴.
Hopefully that's tomorrow!, it's not quite laying on the beach weather but certainly good for just sitting in a chair and spacing out.

Last edited:

pooman

Looks like the continent of Africa or Australia...homogenized nicely and nice firm and sponged, but dryish outside...vaccd back up and in ze closet...I've been smoking the crumbs out of the last time I took it out after a week of the sweat/cure and man...even young, the high is superior to the fresh version of the bud, and it's keeping moist/pliable in a jar with some dryer product that was harsh but has mellowed out since it's been coupled with the fermented stuff

Attachments

• 20230225_045013.jpg
    10.8 MB · Views: 70
  • 16773296402424081035395011591244.jpg
    10.1 MB · Views: 51

ProfessorLefty

Just got a wood moisture meter—I have a feeling this is going to be a game changer for dialing in moisture levels.

Turns out a cob that’s been drying at 60% RH for a month still has a bit more moisture than conventionally-dried flower that’s been curing at 62% RH for a year or so

Conventionally-cured, 11% moisture
1677952076546.jpeg

Cobbed & dried for one month, 11.9% moisture
1677952149876.jpeg

sneezydog

New technology to add, cool idea to use a wood moisture meter they must be a cheap mass produced home depot buy. Once we are already vacuum sealing, might as well go the whole way. Soon digital controls and a raspberry pi will run programs for certain cures. :) someone will post that someday. All we need is lots of herb to cob. Me, i like the moisture reader idea... got an infrared thermometer for around 15 bucks and used it for a few things until the battery gave out. I like 2 ways, high tech, and jungle tech to keep on my toes and enjoy myself.
Edit: Lefty your conventional cure flower pic looks like some cobby puck style as well, whats with that? Both look delicious. .