What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Greenhouse heat stress causing hermaphrodites

I know it gets hot inside of a greenhouse. Much hotter than indoor, could this cause hermies? We know that heat can flip the switch is the greenhouse exempt?

I have had a run in with heat on several dosi dos clones, cookies and cream and more cowbell where I had a power outage and forgot to manually cut the AC back on. All of these strains grew massive bannas, some more than others. Morecow bell with a few, cookies and cream was terrible dosi was pretty bad aswell. Other strains like ak-47, bubble gum, and blue lotus didn't flip but did stretch and reduced yield.

Now I have had all these strains for a very long time it's my fault this happened. The temps got to 92F even though they had plenty water and didn't look stressed for the 1st time they changed.

That temp is about the ambient for summer more or less even with great air exchange wouldn't this create Hermes from heat stress?

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
BirdManFlyHigh, In my experience, I would say that the change in your light cycle if a black out system in use would have more to do with hermaphrodite plants. My greenhouse was at 115f for a few hours today. I kept plenty of air flow going and a quick rain shower cooled things down. Maybe some other greenhouse growers will chime in with their experiences. Peace

Last edited:

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
it's possible.. but imo it's far less likely in a greenhouse than indoors because the plants are usually less stressed overall, maybe the root balls got too hot and dry at one point and that pissed them off. Are you sure you know what rate those particular girls were drinking at?

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Container material can cause stresses as well. I have a galvanised trough that gets very hot to the touch. I need to shade it or wrap it before flowering starts. The grow bags disipate heat very well. I also have one black plastic tub that gets quite warm to the touch as well. I can see both of these containers stressing plants. To what extent I'm not sure of? Peace

BirdManFlyHigh, In my experience, I would say that the change in your light cycle if a black out system in use would have more to do with hermaphrodite plants. My greenhouse was at 115f for a few hours today. I kept plenty of air flow going and a quick rain shower cooled things down. Maybe some other greenhouse growers will chime in with their experiences. Peace
The outage happened during lights out. Did not affect the cycle but we did forget the AC.
What strain you run?

it's possible.. but imo it's far less likely in a greenhouse than indoors because the plants are usually less stressed overall, maybe the root balls got too hot and dry at one point and that pissed them off. Are you sure you know what rate those particular girls were drinking at?
Would much rather discuss greenhouse's and it's affect heat will have on these strains instead of watering.
No offense but the error is in the original post.
The concern isn't why, we know why, it's if the greenhouse will do the same.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
it's if the greenhouse will do the same.

Yes of course it will.. Heat and very stressful changes in VPD will really piss them off no matter where you grow them, isn't that a no brainer?

The obvious answer here is in the genetics. those crosses that hermed on you all have cookies in, i've seen enough people say they have had hermies with GSC lines and that it can be finicky to know there must be some sensitivity with those lines. :tiphat:

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
I have about twenty strains going right now. From landrace Lebanese sativa to pure Indicas and multiple crosses of the two. High heat with moisture my girls do fine. Heat from HID lights that are to close will stress and harm in a hurry.

It will be 100+ today inside my greenhouse. The girls will be standing tall tonight when I get home.
Peace

Limeygreen

Veteran
I have plants go 32-35 degrees c every night for weeks (sativas) only a couple put out a banana here or there, it seems to be more causing a re flowering than anything else on some more tropical plants. Heat stress may cause them to show sure but some varieties probably shouldn't be grown during those periods if you're seeing problems.

Latest posts

Latest posts