What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does Good Soil Make Much difference

theclearspot

Ive been using normal potting soil from the local garden centre. I grow in pots in a Greenhouse. Just wondering if these premium quality soils make all the difference, this year ive been disappointed with the grows and wondering if its the soil that is the issue.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Yep it sure does, the difference is day and night. There is a wealth of information in the organic soil forum.

Hope this helps !

Whatever you choose ,there is al ton of choices, Just make sure it drains well . You do not want a soil that holds water . I prefer Pro -mix HP personally. Choice is yours !

prune

Veteran
If your soil comes in a bag with anyones name on it but your own, you can do better!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Most commercial mixes need some sort of airation amendment added to aid in getting oxygen to the rhizosphere (roots). An active rhizosphere is essential for getting the desired building components (nutrients) for rapid plant growth.

Plants can't grow into beasts if they're limited in their needs.

hup234

ICMag Donor
Veteran
try to get some Klasmann ts4 ,makes the best roots I've ever seen,German I think
what country are you in?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How are you currently feeding your plants? If you've just been using soil as a growing media - and then feeding with bottled liquid fertilizers to cover the full needs of the plant...

Just curious what you view your end goal as?

dank.Frank

theclearspot

How are you currently feeding your plants? If you've just been using soil as a growing media - and then feeding with bottled liquid fertilizers to cover the full needs of the plant...

Just curious what you view your end goal as?

dank.Frank

Yes sorry just noticed the replies to the thread.
Yes im growing as I said with normal potting soil and using Plagron alga grow/alga bloom. Not sure what you mean by 'end goal' in terms of this?

SmokeyTheSkunk

Of course good soil makes a difference.. you wouldn't plant yourself in a trough of garbage dirt would you? So why tee st your plants to it..

Pendleton

Far less difference than genetics do.

I disagree for the most part because some soil mixes are really awful and I do believe will gimp a plant in terms of performance, but I hear where you're coming from.

ClearSpot - there's a lot to be said for making your own soil mix, but it's become such a norm in the organic section that regulars sometimes forget what a timesink it is in terms of education and work to make that superior potting soil. I'd say go for making your own *if* you're willing to do the legwork learning about soil; you'll not only see superior results you'll be a better all-around grower for it. That said there are certainly arguments for "letting the experts deal with that". Unfortunately many of us are American and we have different commercial brands of soil. I'd suggest checking in the national forum for your country for more detailed assistance, if you're a Brit check out organics because there are a couple limeys in there who are fantastic.

Latest posts

Latest posts