What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

heart failure via THC. First Cannabis Death?

Bulldog420

Veteran
People that say you you can die from pot, hasn't smoked pot before. Plain and simple, not going to happen.

Nirrity

"Cannabis-Induced Ventricular Tachycardia Leading to Death in an Old Man".
https://www.ajconline.org/article/S0002-9149(18)30648-9/fulltext.

as a side note does anyone have an official PDF from UK Office of National Statistics on tobacco, alcohol and drugs related deaths?

i remember i downloaded one around 2012 where they counted all deaths related to substances of abuse with a whopping lead of tobacco and alcohol, i was shocked to see that heroin was only fifth on the list with paracetamol on the third if memory serves. i couldn't seem to find it now though or anything new like 2019 statistics anymore.

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would seeing some of the prices breeders charge for seeds count as a contributing factor to cannabis related deaths?

Sunshineinabag

hearts

hearts

just 2 said to be HEALTHY ADULTS.. who knows they could have been up for weeks smoking crack.. before it all happened.. who knows.. but I don't believe cannabis is dangerous to all.. if anything maybe someone could be allergic to it.. but not die from it because it was toxic... unless someone is selling some moldy or powdery mildew nugs.. maybe. but not from clean flowers.

My mind always went to folks who smoke crack having their hearts explode...now that im "middle aged" ive been around the country.....strangely enough ive met alot of older "recovered" crackheads who describe starting off wanting 100...and ending up ina chitty hotel ....1500.00 later...........of all the posts ive read i truly believe the stress in life is the biggest catalyst to cardiac symptoms like these. :comfort:

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Disclaimer: This is an anecdote pertaining only to myself on these particular occasions.

My record keeping confirms my feelings of heart palpitations after vaporizing 95% THC rocks.

THCx2 says the book, followed by nitro, nitro, nitro. Twice this has happened. The first nitro goes in before 100 BPM, the next by 120, the third by 150. Single nitro events after THC are recorded on average of three times a week.
I average about fifteen nitro pills a month. It took over four nitro's once, the doctor convinced me to accept a stent when I arrived at the hospital.

If I do not quit I am pretty sure it will be marijuana that kills me.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Disclaimer: This is an anecdote pertaining only to myself on these particular occasions.

My record keeping confirms my feelings of heart palpitations after vaporizing 95% THC rocks.

THCx2 says the book, followed by nitro, nitro, nitro. Twice this has happened. The first nitro goes in before 100 BPM, the next by 120, the third by 150. Single nitro events after THC are recorded on average of three times a week.
I average about fifteen nitro pills a month. It took over four nitro's once, the doctor convinced me to accept a stent when I arrived at the hospital.

If I do not quit I am pretty sure it will be marijuana that kills me.

Well, first off, I'm sorry to hear that you have heart conditions. I really hope that you focus on your health, as heart conditions are very serious.

With that said, it would not be "marijuana" that kills you. I'm familiar with nitro as my uncle had to take it as he had heart problems, and as I'm sure you know, it's not good to have to take them so many times. If you KNOW that vaporizing 95% THC rocks is causing you issues, why do you keep doing it? If it's due to tolerance, as unpleasant as it may be, take a tolerance break for at least a week, preferably two, the first few days suck the most. I guarantee after that tolerance break, you can smoke flower and be high as shit. A tolerance break, while unpleasant, is ALOT less unpleasant than if you were to die by doing something that you know and acknowledge is harmful to you.

I have nothing against concentrates at all, but if regular strains of flower cause heart issues for some people, especially some sativas, at 10-25% THC, obviously a concentrated form of 95% THC that you're vaporizing is going to be so much stronger, which you know.

I know death is something that we all have to one day experience, that's just reality, but it still makes me sad when people die. Especially if they know it. I don't know if you suffer from depression, if so, feel free to PM me, but please man, take care of yourself and lay off the thc rocks.

And, no, it wouldn't be marijuana that kills you, as marijuana is generally accepted to be a term for the plant matter, specifically the flower. IF you suffered heart failure the THC would be a contributing factor, and unfortunately if it makes the news, there would probably be news segments about the "dangers" of concentrates, which would suck for all of us, so to me, it seems like if you fully know it's going to kill you and continue to do it, it's more like suicide than "marijuana killing you".

I don't know your situation man, but I know depression, and I know what it's like to feel no self worth at times, so I'm genuine in that if you need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me.

If you are being serious about everything you said, you really need to stop fucking around with nitros as your magic cure. It's not like narcan is with opiates. And the fact that you had to be convinced of a stent leads me to believe that you really don't care about life, change that man, because there are people that are dying, kids even, that would love for a second chance.

I'm all about advocating for cannabis but what you're doing is reckless.

Please take care of your heart.
Sincerely,
Tetra

Sunshineinabag

Well, first off, I'm sorry to hear that you have heart conditions. I really hope that you focus on your health, as heart conditions are very serious.

With that said, it would not be "marijuana" that kills you. I'm familiar with nitro as my uncle had to take it as he had heart problems, and as I'm sure you know, it's not good to have to take them so many times. If you KNOW that vaporizing 95% THC rocks is causing you issues, why do you keep doing it? If it's due to tolerance, as unpleasant as it may be, take a tolerance break for at least a week, preferably two, the first few days suck the most. I guarantee after that tolerance break, you can smoke flower and be high as shit. A tolerance break, while unpleasant, is ALOT less unpleasant than if you were to die by doing something that you know and acknowledge is harmful to you.

I have nothing against concentrates at all, but if regular strains of flower cause heart issues for some people, especially some sativas, at 10-25% THC, obviously a concentrated form of 95% THC that you're vaporizing is going to be so much stronger, which you know.

I know death is something that we all have to one day experience, that's just reality, but it still makes me sad when people die. Especially if they know it. I don't know if you suffer from depression, if so, feel free to PM me, but please man, take care of yourself and lay off the thc rocks.

And, no, it wouldn't be marijuana that kills you, as marijuana is generally accepted to be a term for the plant matter, specifically the flower. IF you suffered heart failure the THC would be a contributing factor, and unfortunately if it makes the news, there would probably be news segments about the "dangers" of concentrates, which would suck for all of us, so to me, it seems like if you fully know it's going to kill you and continue to do it, it's more like suicide than "marijuana killing you".

I don't know your situation man, but I know depression, and I know what it's like to feel no self worth at times, so I'm genuine in that if you need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me.

If you are being serious about everything you said, you really need to stop fucking around with nitros as your magic cure. It's not like narcan is with opiates. And the fact that you had to be convinced of a stent leads me to believe that you really don't care about life, change that man, because there are people that are dying, kids even, that would love for a second chance.

I'm all about advocating for cannabis but what you're doing is reckless.

Please take care of your heart.
Sincerely,
Tetra

I thought those crystals were a myth

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I thought those crystals were a myth

Not a myth, in my younger day I made a 95% thin oil that would not sell as it was fluid enough to be sucked up an eyedropper. This stuff is made into a salt and does not soften with body heat.
I posted this photo in another thread, the label with 95% THC runs $54/gram here in Fairbanks at the local pot shop. State certified labels.

Meanwhile, I have a choice of roads to take. The liver cancer has spread and the kidneys are beginning their downfall. Salt is accumulating in other tissues in other areas. I have seen this progress in folks now dead. Eventually it is needles stuck into the salt cysts to drain the while other tube feed fluids and nutrients.
Rather unpleasant physically and unbearable emotionally.

A nice half hour of major heart attack sounds heavenlike in comparison. I still drink a half cup of quarter strength coffee a couple times a week, just because.

My personal dead list has 17 names. True enough no deaths are good, but it is undeniable some are less bad than others.

tetragrammatron, I really miss the high of good bud, but the rocksalt THC leaves off the CO2 so is pretty much my only choice. By careful blending with CBD and terpenes I can get a fairly decent high without instant death.

Attachments

• Two favorites, the rock salt is 95 percent THC.jpg
    Two favorites, the rock salt is 95 percent THC.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 24

clearheaded

thc doesn't attach to brain stem so cannot directly affect heart. however can lower bp by relaxing vessels causing heart to kick on. other then that, cannabis can kill like a ride or scary movie can. paramisis is the other way

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Edibles consumed by persons that never have done edibles before or who eat to many or to much dosage can have reactions that do appear as a heart attack. I know, I've been there 3 times and have witnessed this reaction on a few others that I provided (they were warned to eat only half of the cookie they were give. One said I've eaten these before, 'I'm OK with them' and ate the whole cookie. They wanted to call him an ambulance but did not.

Most use leaves and popcorn to make butter. I use only grade A buds. 1 cup of ghee to 1 oz of bud, there's a difference.

The first time at a party where the wife of a friend who works in the ER at the local hospital wanted to call me an ambulance because "he's having a heart attack". I was so wacked all I could do was shake my head, NO! My wife informed her of the ingesting of the edible cookie. Sitting at a fire I was having cold sweats, move away and I was cold to the touch.. fvcked up feeling.. Now some one that has a previous heart condition could die under the above circumstances I guess but would that be dying from THC? I dono.

Nirrity

thc doesn't attach to brain stem so cannot directly affect heart. however can lower bp by relaxing vessels causing heart to kick on.

that is not true.

for example, Role of cannabis in cardiovascular disorders:
...Cannabis consumption has been shown to cause arrhythmia including ventricular tachycardia, and potentially sudden death, and to increase the risk of myocardial infarction (MI). These effects appear to be compounded by cigarette smoking and precipitated by excessive physical activity, especially during the first few hours of consumption. Cannabinoids, or the active compounds of cannabis, have been shown to have heterogeneous effects on central and peripheral circulation. Acute cannabis consumption has been shown to cause an increase in blood pressure, specifically systolic blood pressure (SBP), and orthostatic hypotension. Cannabis use has been reported to increase risk of ischemic stroke, particularly in the healthy young patients. The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is currently considered as a promising therapeutic target in the management of several disease conditions....

...Endocannabinoids were detected in heart tissues and current evidences suggest that the ECS is involved in the regulation of heart rate (HR) and blood pressure in addition to being involved in various other pathological processes. Experimental studies have shown redundancy in endocannabinoid signalling and in endocannabinoid targets with dualistic role of CB-1 and CB-2 receptors in the presence of pathological conditions. Cumulative evidence seems to suggest that CB-1 and CB-2 receptors may play contributory roles in modulating cardiometabolic risk, and atherogenesis, and can also have protective roles in limiting cardiomyocyte damage...

or, Cannabinoids for Treating Cardiovascular Disorders: Putting Together a Complex Puzzle:
...It is well known that acute exposure to cannabis leads to tachycardia, although the effect on blood pressure is less consistent. On the contrary, chronic exposure was reported to cause bradycardia and a lowering of blood pressure. The endocannabinoids AEA and 2-AG are present in various parts of the vasculature including red blood cells, platelets, serum and vascular cells, and the myocardium....

or Cannabinoids, the Heart of the Matter:
...In addition, CB1 receptors also function in the peripheral nervous system: in vascular and cardiac tissue, adipocytes, liver, GI tract and uterus to regulate basic physiological mechanisms such as energy balance and reproduction...

...Ionotropic Cannabinoid Receptors (TRPV1)
The transient receptor potential cation channel subfamily V, member 1 (TRPV1) is an ionotropic non‐selective cation channel that is predominantly expressed in peripheral sensory neurons and widespread in the cardiovascular system. TRPV1 ion channels have important functions as cellular sensors, and are involved in nociception, taste perception, thermosensation, mechano‐ and osmolarity sensing, and regulation of signal transmission. In addition to ECS and physicochemical activators, TRPV1 is activated by tetrahydrocannabinol, cannabinol, cannabigerol and some propyl homologs of THC and cannabigerol. Cannabichromene (CBC), cannabidiol, and cannabinol are strong TRPA1 agonists and desensitizers, and THCV (from a botanical extract) is a potent regulator of TRPA1....

actually there are plenty of papers which show THC and other cannabinoids can directly affect heart and cardiovascular system.

clearheaded

first off, the majority of what you quoted there actually says EXACTLY what I said and does not dispute ANYTHING, read more carefully what is being said! cardiovascular system includes blood vessels yes? what did I say about it affecting blood vessels? its well established the tachachardia ie increase in heart rate, is caused by relaxing of vessels which then lowers your Blood pressure.

I was just trying to point out that thc doesn't cause hearts to stop or u to stop breathing like more dangerous narcotics. I should of been more clear myself.

Also, its always best to put date when citing. and always see who has payed for the study, anyone can pull up a host of studies that are incorrect. Many of these are theories that have not been proven, and if you look at any long term studies you will find nothing along the lines of an increase in cardiovascular risk. many gov propaganda studies even add this after making a claim that MAY cause increase risk in xyz. as the case of your first article it is not a "study" at all ie more meta study, based on wishy washy articles. favorite is siting a heart transplant patient lol or making readings of the hearts of people who were pulled over for smoking pot in Norway.. lol great control there take readings when people are scared they are going to jail lol. while there may be some threads of truth in the article using that type of evidence in ones paper indicates the science they do and perhaps were cherry picked to lets say get payed for propaganda ;)

If there was compelling evidence that THC stopped our hearts I promise more people would be dead and DRs would be VERY hard pressed giving it to patience.

as a side note I am not one of those guys who thinks cannabis poses no risks, stopping an otherwise healthy persons heart is just one of the things it does do or believe you me propaganda would include alot more that it causes sudden death. they advertise that effect for many drugs on TV.

Latest posts

Latest posts