What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

pot size to yield 1-2lbs?

Sinkyone

To hit a mere 1-2 lbs per pot outdoor veg time is irrelevant unless you are incompetent. I've hit those number planting mid July with 6" clones giving them nothing more than a good soil mix and water. Genetics, environment and the care the plant gets is far more important. If you don't believe pot size has any impact try a little size by side experiment and see what happens. Anyone who claims pot size does not matter very obviously does not know what the fuck they are talking about or how to properly grow cannabis. Even in veg the difference is like night and day - a plant in a 5 gallon will veg much, much faster and get far larger than the same plant in a 1 gallon. Cannabis does not like to have it's roots restricted. If you want big, fast growing healthy plants give them space and then watch them explode.

I was able to get mine in july 12th. in 5 gallon smart pots. I will post in a couple months when i harvest with how much per. I also have some 30 gallons. Currently the ones in the 5 gallon smart pots are between 4-5.5 feet tall and the 30 gallon ones are all over 7 feet. im not sure if that is right or good. this is my first time. but documentation is wonderful!

coldcanna

Veteran
If you look at the big time guys on the west coast who do this full time all year, they are starting their gear in Feb or March. I didn't see Schrews planting 6" clones

species

Curious as the the consensus oppinion is on veg time needed in order to reach a 1 Lb harvest in a greenhouse?

coldcanna

Veteran
That's fairly difficult to say because daily sunlight is different at every latitude, and even different locations in your own yard. But just aggregating commonly accepted knowledge, most tree growers pop beans or root clones starting in march and put them outside whenever your environment allows it. Personally I have hit 1lb plants with plants going outside on June 1st at 18" tall and into 45 gallon pots. Everybody's answer is a little different. Veg the plants as big as you can, buy the biggest pots your budget allows, water and feed them appropriately and you'll get what your after.

species

I was actually expecting this answer to be as varied as the oppinion on pot size, but thought it would make for a fun read.

tech1234

I hit 1 + 1/4lb with at least a 1/4lb of bottom bud that got blasted.

That was 65gals, first year GH, shaded cover, and lots of mistakes. I can't imagine how anyone could not hit a p in 45's and up

tech1234

Also container diameter is more important than the container depth. You can do something like get a 100 gallon smart pot and fill it with 65 gallons of soil

EastCoast710

depends.. coco u could get a pound off 5-10 gallons.. I just had a plant weigh out 8.23oz in 3 gallons of coco hand watered! and not nearly enough to take advantage of the coco like I could with a drip system..

Dr.King

Veteran
depends.. coco u could get a pound off 5-10 gallons.. I just had a plant weigh out 8.23oz in 3 gallons of coco hand watered! and not nearly enough to take advantage of the coco like I could with a drip system..

I know where you're coming from man. Pulling 8 oz's each myself in 3 gallons of coco/perlite. 2 pounds under 500 watts of light. Just gotta get the right genetics. I hand water daily. Can't wait to get outside. Thinking 200's could hit 10 pounds easily even Sativas. My Green Haze got over 9 feet tall inside under 400 watts lol.

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
hmmmm 1-2 lbs per plant , now that would be a special thing this far north.
I'm at 52/53N in western Canada, 3000ft above sea level. My big plants were around 5 weeks old , clones and seedlings when I put them outside. Then transplanted to 18 gallon Rubbermaid totes modified into pots with holes and screens inside covering the holes.
I dunno what my yield is gonna be like, biggest plant is just pushing 7ft tall from dirt to tip. Each pot has a 4x4 foot grow space and the plants have used it. they certainly don't look like those west coast California trees but they look good to me. I think the heaviest yielder will be a shiskaberry I topped a few times and LST'd most of it's life and trained into a 4x4 scrog net. Has close to 40 tops :)
will see what kind of yield I get if I can manage to finish them.... winter is coming tho and not much survives here past the 3rd week of September without heating the greenhouse. I highly doubt I'll see a pound from 1 plant but one can only hope LOLZ

RetroGrow

Veteran
I have gotten one pound plants in 2 gallon Hempy buckets, vegged for two months. The medium is important in determining plant size. Daily feedings in Hempys makes them grow like crazy.

Kilo23

A good good rule of thumb for 1lbers is 20 gal with good soil or soiless (my preferred) veg between your bellybutton and nipples then flip. With a good genetics you should around that.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
420giveaway
I have done a test this summer. Same female plants (Zamaldelica x Hawaiian). One outside in ground from May to Sept 1st. Transplanted into 30 gallon tub and moved inside. The other was in a 5 gallon bucket outside next to other plant for same time. Both will finish flowering inside another 5 to 6 weeks. One I will get about 4 oz. from. The much larger female I will have to scale. She will produce several times more bud. The only difference was pot size. This was done only to satisfy personnel curiosity. I think genetics have a lot to do with plant size too. I'm going to run 30 to 50 gallon pots in the future for all plants. Peace

Latest posts

Latest posts