What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

pot size to yield 1-2lbs?

greenhaus

you guessed it, i need to figure out what pot size to get to achieve a 1lb to 2lb yield per plant.

also if you guys prefer plastic or smartpots.

also, how far apart do the pots have to be? i usually kept my grows very small but this season i have some extra space at our new location.

thanks in advance!!

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
50-100 gallon smartpots will yield 1-2 lbs easy.

for 1-2 lb plants you can cram them in a little closer to eachother.

3gunpete

All you need is 20+ gallons for a pound plus. No bs!!
You can use three times the soil and get less if your not using good substrate and proper watering and feeding habits. If you think leaning on pot size will get you to the promis land, you will eventually realize you've been wasting valuable soil.

B

BugJar

you should be getting that in a 10-20 gallon smartpot with a long veg (2+ months of vert)

if I put a plant in 100 gallons and only got 1-2 pounds I would feel like a failure

yerboyblue

I would say the size of the container is probably one of the smallest factors of hitting 1-2 on a single plant. Although a healthy root system is probably one of the biggest, but pot size really doesn't have much to do with it as long as it's not too small.

spook719

Pot size has a lot to do with yield outdoors go check out Tom hills growing large plants outdoors thread or cannabis growing outdoors sub forum.

yerboyblue

Pot size has a lot to do with yield outdoors go check out Tom hills growing large plants outdoors thread or cannabis growing outdoors sub forum.

Except not. Veg time has a lot to do with yield. The bigger containers is just something you have to accomodate for. A foot tall plant in a 5 gallon isn't going to yield more if it's transplanted into a 50 gallon container. To go and say ___gallon pot will yield this is just stupid. So far every one on this thread have given their opinion and the OP now has a good range of numbers on what size pot to buy.
So go ahead and click the 'did not find this helpful button' and tell us why we are wrong, while not offering any input to the OP, and refer us to a thread that is irrelevant.
:thank you:

Sinkyone

For that yield go for at least a 25 gallon; if it was me I would go with something in the 50 gallon range. Bigger pots will get you a bigger yield - plant size, and therefore yield is directly proportionate to the size of the root mass. A larger pot will also give you more of a 'buffer' with water, heat, etc helping ensure the plant does not get stressed. Size will also play a big role if you want to go organics - you simply cannot get a functional soil food web growing in a small pot, you need that extra soil mass.

Yerboybule is incorrect in his statement; veg time is actually fairly irrelevant to final yield especially when dealing with pots and yields this small. The strain, health of the plant, environment, and the care it receives are what really matters. SO long as your clone or seedling is healthy and properly adjusted to an outdoor environment, even a plant as small as 4" can easily hit the yields you are shooting for. In fact the larger the plant, especially with clones, the easier it gets stressed out when being moved outside, and the more likely it is to have issues. As spook719 recommended, go check out Tom Hills grow, pot size definitely makes a big difference. You will not see growers hitting the types of yields demonstrated in that thread in small pots, it is impossible. Tom knows what he is doing, read his threads.

Definitely go with the smartpots too, the work much better than plastic pots. As for spacing, give them as much space as you can. Ideally you want ample space between the plants so they do not shade each other out and get plenty of airflow.

greenhaus

i am pretty skilled at growing but never really went the route as far as using less plants to get more yield. i usually grow many smaller bushy plants and got great results. but this year am doing something a little different.

i will be ordering some smart pots this week and getting prepared.
thanks for everyones help on the pot size!
i will update with pics once it gets going.

talktosamson

Veteran
Outdoors as a beginner I got 1lb of my 100s and closer to 2lbs from my 200 gallon smarties. As a veters grower I can get 3-4 off the same 200 gallons of soil.

Z

Z-ro

Ive found 65/100 gallons to be the point of diminishing returns in my gardens. Bigger pots will yield you more and give more room for error with watering, feeding etc and I do have many 200s. However, I can pull 3 off a 65, I cant pull 18 off a 400 or even 6 off a 150. Under the right conditions you can get a lb out of 10 gallon on a good day, most times people will need a 20 gallon though.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
? is this still with a 30 day veg. Do you start indoor then put them out ??

Last edited:

organicfoxbat

can I grow a sssdxi ,the doors,samskunk t*haze,ohxskunk1, jock horror. if I wanted to in a 20gallon grow bag.in a small green house.

The Bling

minimum 10 gal

i've seen 8#+ plants in 45 gal pots with maxsea daily and compost tea once ber week 2 plus waterings a day i have seen this garden kill it and COMPLETELY BIFF all Sours and blue D

ive also seen 2 # plants in 200 gals with organic soil and top dress. this was also the smallest plant the rest were all 4+ This garden always has an avarage of 3.5# + and didnt biff when the well went out and they had no water for days

its mostly genetics IMO and how often you water/feed if you have solid drip you can grow big ass plants in small pots, If you forget to water your fucked.

Inside I get a pound off of a 10 gallon or anything bigger. I can't imagine going up to a 65 or a hundred and getting the same lb.

i would imagine you need tons of veg time to fill one of those big boys up.

Anybody know about Bodhi? Hes on the forums... He claims (outside of course) 5 units is OK, 10 is average and the biggest is bigger than ive ever heard of...

Genetics ... Grow medium ... Veg time ...... Those are bigger factors getting to that 1-2# mark ..... Don't matter how big of a pot you got ... If the strain/genetics won't hit that mark you just won't hit it but obviously the consensus is 20gal+ ..... The less experience you have growing BIG bushes the bigger a pot you should use to have a buffer .... More experience and you can get bigger yeilds in smaller containers

I was originally going to plant in ground but due to neighbor drama I'm digging holes to place 20gal smart pots into so if I need I can pull the plants and move em inside and drop my tomato plants(20gal grow bags) into the holes so it doesn't look odd :)

But I'll be running coco .... Drippers 3x per day and a foliar spray 2x per week .... 4plants@24oz ..... 2 fat yeilders .... Nl5xHaze and Blueberry clone ... And 2 medium yeilders topanga pure kush and valley og

If ya can't pull 1#+ w a 20gal or better then you need more experience and to re-evaluate your plan/execution ,..... Best of lick at hitting your goals

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
you should be getting that in a 10-20 gallon smartpot with a long veg (2+ months of vert)

if I put a plant in 100 gallons and only got 1-2 pounds I would feel like a failure

ok im not the only one,that sounded kind a off when I read it too. 50 plants and each one in 100gls of soil? that's not 1-2lbs, that's an immediate federal takedown

gh0stm0de

lol yea right .. maybe in non med states..

whoever says veg time is irrelevant to yield .. wow.. this is why you have to be careful about what you read on the internet.. gemini and yerboyblue told you what you wanted to know..