What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Legalize MJ ! Really? No I mean REALLY?

grapeman

Veteran
I see a fairly common thread in this forum. Most think and want legalization. Well, there is nothing wrong with that is there?

Well, let me clue you in a bit about our government passing laws and granting rights.

If you think it is all a fairly simple thing, think again. The only way the government can really do the right thing here is by de-criminalizing possession and use. BUT IT WILL NOT STOP THERE.

The government, our U.S. government has a very bad habit of trying not to leave any money on the table for it's citizens. So bring the tax man to the equation and let's all pony up. Imagine, paying commerce taxes on a common weed.

But wait! It gets even better. Government regulation will bring.... wait for it..... government regulation. Aside from the fact that any and all government regulation ALWAYS makes entry into that specific business more difficult and more expensive, thereby stifling competition, there are even more headaches to follow.

Enter the USDA. Want to be a grower, well be sure to follow the rules here. Specific cultural practices, such as applying the most "organic" of compounds, is a time consuming, money wasting "pain in the ass" process.

Sulfer application. Well, in order to now buy the sulfur, you need to be a licensed PCO or PCA. You must have documented to the USDA how many acres of specific crops and strains you farm (or # of plants in this case) or you cannot buy at the local Ag Supplier. Can't buy there? You will then spend more for the same product thereby making your product more expensive to produce then your competition. And be prepared to report to the local County Ag Commissioner within 3 days of applying sulfur, the rate, the product I.D., the weather and wind conditions at the time of application, and on and on. Farmers need full time secretaries just doing that ONE thing. Reporting to the government.

Then try using a registered fungicide or pesticide and multiply the problems X 10. And don't you dare deviate from the label or your crop will be Red-Tagged and dumped by the government. They cross reference the amount you buy (ag suppliers must report who bought what to the government) with the amount of acres you operate.

Then bring the quality control of proper labeling of weight and Variety. You want to play in this game? You better make and register your own labels and you better follow all the rules.

Then, the USDA will grade your product before you can sell it. Why not? It does so on EVERY other crop grown and distributed in this country.

I could go on and on but here it is in a nutshell.

Before you jump on any "legalize marijuana" bandwagon, you better make sure you read the law and you know the unintended consequences.
Because what will happen is that a VERY few VERY well funded folks will survive. The rest will be regulated out of business. The black market will never go away. But doing business there will always prevent you from being legit.

I would think just plain old de-criminalization is the way to go. But once the government sets their sights on using MJ as a tax stream, we're all fucked. There are a few well funded proponents of legalizing marijuana that know this and are using everyone's desire to de-criminalize as a way to cement their foot in the door while making sure you are never allowed in.

Think before you act.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^weed will become like wine for recreation. you will have mass producers of crap, and you will have artisan crops from small growers that the government wont give 2 shits about because they dont produce enough tax revenue.

besides i would rather just have to worry about getting fined and my crop trashed then go to a federal pound me in the ass prison.

grapeman

Veteran
^weed will become like wine for recreation. you will have mass producers of crap, and you will have artisan crops from small growers that the government wont give 2 shits about because they dont produce enough tax revenue.

Really. Tell that to the 20 acre squash grower who needs a USDA stamp on his boxes before he can sell the product.

And the comparison between crap and artisan growers, while true, is not new. It exists now... in this crop and all others. New to the equation is the USDA. And they are coming. Then along comes the FDA, who will also regulate the product. It is after all, for medical use.

Just plain old de-criminalization is the way to go. Otherwise, all of the above is true.

GHUA

I suspect, at least in the european union, that it will be treated more like alcohol than a crop of vegetable! First off, its not a vegetable, its a drug like cigs and alcohol and such. Sure they will set up rules and such, but this will still allow you to grow your own. If treated like a vegetable, nobody is getting arrested for selling a couple of cucumbers to the local community...

I really don't see this huge nightmare scenario happening. It's an herb. Its not hard to grow commercial oregano, and if it was, just grow your own...

Worst case scenario: Rules are a HUGE pain in the ass and prices stay high due to heavy taxation...
Now: thousands of people are in prison for growing a herb that helps with a myriad of illnesses, is safe, and is fun.

On principle we owe it to justice to make it legal!

igrowone

Veteran
i can only tell you what legalization would mean to me, no fear of prison for growing my own medicine
i personally don't have much interest in buying commercially grown MJ, and i don't see that changing
so there may be a population of smokers that will pay for heavily taxed, gene modded, industrial schwag
but there will be another population that won't
i guess it's where you sit that determines your perspective on this

grapeman

Veteran
i can only tell you what legalization would mean to me, no fear of prison for growing my own medicine
i personally don't have much interest in buying commercially grown MJ, and i don't see that changing
so there may be a population of smokers that will pay for heavily taxed, gene modded, industrial schwag
but there will be another population that won't
i guess it's where you sit that determines your perspective on this

Tell that to the moonshiners. After they legalized booze, they made it illegal to make your own. Same thing is coming if some would have their way.

igrowone

Veteran
Tell that to the moonshiners. After they legalized booze, they made it illegal to make your own. Same thing is coming if some would have their way.

not impossible, but that's no worse, that would be still illegal from my point of view
but i just don't see 'legalization', whatever that means, resulting in more aggressive prosecutions than now
getting a jury to convict the lowly home grower is getting more dicey all the time
a lot of people just don't buy the MJ shit the DEA peddles any more
so i just don't believe in a future with legalization that would make it worse for the home grower
if they could make it worse, they'd do it now, they are just losing control of it

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

In the great state of California, you are able to brew x gallons of beer and y gallons of wine without reporting your production. I am sure that other distilled products have limits applied.

For the personal grower...this is not going to be an issue.

While I share your disturst of the government I do not see any practical way of regulating the backyard grower.

Phuque um.

minds_I

filo6942

Hello all,

In the great state of California, you are able to brew x gallons of beer and y gallons of wine without reporting your production. I am sure that other distilled products have limits applied.

For the personal grower...this is not going to be an issue.

While I share your disturst of the government I do not see any practical way of regulating the backyard grower.

Phuque um.

minds_I

Hi,

In the great state of California it is illegal to distill liquor.

The great state of California also is in DESPERATE need of $$

because the great state of California loves to spend more than it

brings in.

Greetings :tiphat:

gdtrfb

have you seen my lighter?
ICMag Donor
Veteran
distrust the government in regards to regulation and taxation, or distrust the government in regards to seizing everydamnthing i own and throwing me in a 6x10 room with somebody who would enjoy sodomizing me.

yah, i too would like to have two better options to pick from, but evaluating those two options as they're given...it isn't too difficult of a choice.

rdy

Tax Cannabis 2010 has commercial growers crapping their pants because they won't be able to compete with better funded operations and they'll have much more red tape to deal with.

Tax Cannabis 2010 has smokers and personal growers jumping up and down cause they no longer have to be so paranoid.

Easy choice for me, as well as most other Californians. If I were a grower I'd start talking with other growers to form a partnership, or I'd start looking for work in a different industry.
:tiphat:

grapeman

Veteran
I reject the notion that the state of California is "Great". It hasn't been great for several decades.

why is usda regulation, otherwise known as "safe food" so bad again?

The USDA is an in-efficient Government program that has cut the amount of investigators it has while the amount of food-borne illnesses have risen. They do not do their job NOW, what makes you think they will do it soon? No amount of pandering to them will make your arguments logical, They are wrong, and those of us who want full decriminalization are correct, any middle grounders are wasting their lives fighting a battle they want you to "win" so ultimately you will lose.....everything that we worked for.

Amazing how the many are willing to give up what the few fought to provide to us all for so many years....decades actually, A little bit Ass-Backwards if you ask me. I am all for FULL decriminalization, as long as it is just that...no stipulations, no bullshit government oversight. You think the .Gov did not know about Goldman Sachs selling mortgage backed securities and then betting against them, Then telling the American people it is an outrage that is could happen and they must have more oversight! BULL FUCKING SHIT.....they knew all along and it was their idea infact! Shady as fuck .Gov wanted to make their country look valuable so this is how they did it, with a GIANT game of revolving $$$$ where the common investor loses, and big business WINS!!!!!!!!! This is who we want to allow to control us....even though you claim they will just let us be, I want to live in your fairytale land, because I have never heard of such a place on this planet.....let alone the galaxy.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran

Could it be maybe that Stills tend to blow the fuck up in your face??
You can make anything that is not distilled though--

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you can distill your own home brew in certain states, but you cant sell it. you can sell 8 dollar key chains that come with a free six pack.
however, it isnt that hard to get a brewer's license.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
you can distill your own home brew in certain states, but you cant sell it. you can sell 8 dollar key chains that come with a free six pack.
however, it isnt that hard to get a brewer's license.

Brewing beer, and distilling grain alcohol are 2 different things-- Distilling involved heating it with fire...and they can be very dangerous-- I could be wrong, but I don't think Stills are legal anywhere in the US--