What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

215 ten year BLOWOUT

all messed up

Overgrow refugee
Veteran
Come and celebrate 215 with the folks who made it possible. I remember standing in front of Safeway day after day gathering signatures. I remember when Dennis, Bill, Tod and Dale put a large piece of paper on the floor and wrote prop 215.

Prop 215 Tenth Anniversary Celebration
Sat. Nov 4th* 2006 7- 10 PM. - San Francisco
with Dennis Peron, Tod Mikuriya, Dale Gieringer & friends
Free Entertainment & Food
at the San Francisco Gay Community Center
1800 Market St. @ Octavia
Join us in celebrating the tenth year of California's Compassionate Use Act with the original crew who helped bring it about it, thanks to your and the voters' support for Californians' right to medicine.
(If you can't make it to SF but are in Sonoma that night, check out the SAMM Harvest Dance at the Sebastopol Community Center, 7pm - midnite)
*Technically, Prop. 215 was approved on Nov. 5th, 1996, becoming law that midnight
California NORML (415) 563-5858 // canorml@igc.org
2215-R Market St. #278, San Francisco CA 94114

See ya there.

mmm420socal

I went to a nice 215 bash on 2-15-06 at The Rincon club in Frisco...

That was a pretty trippy night. First time Id seen 40-50 patients freely gathered and medicating with no worries of LEO intervention.

Anyone else besides me, JSN and Zamboni Driver go there???

M

minds_I

Veteran
mmm420socal said:
I went to a nice 215 bash on 2-15-06 at The Rincon club in Frisco...

That was a pretty trippy night. First time Id seen 40-50 patients freely gathered and medicating with no worries of LEO intervention.

Anyone else besides me, JSN and Zamboni Driver go there???

M

Hello all,

I am a med patient and I have to say that the bolded statement above begs the question of the legitimacy of medical mj.

After all, people do not get together for a trippy night of crestor taking or prozac.

I am not trying to be an ass- it just smacks in the face of common sense.

minds_I

karmical

minds_I said:
Hello all,

After all, people do not get together for a trippy night of crestor taking or prozac.

well maybe if they had to put up with the bullshit that medical marijuana patients do they would.

i mean seriously though, there is no problems faced those that must only drop off their medical prescriptions at walgrens then mill around for a few mins then pick it up, with little questions asked.

but we have to put up with all kinds of shit in order to receive medical marijuana and if some want to come together and celebrate their individual/and collective victories, and remember those that are not around anymore...

more power to them.

all messed up

Overgrow refugee
Veteran
minds_I said:
Hello all,

I am a med patient and I have to say that the bolded statement above begs the question of the legitimacy of medical mj.

I am not trying to be an ass- it just smacks in the face of common sense.

minds_I

Crestor or Prozac users are free to walk the earth. The idea of "getting together " for emotional support and celebration doesn't make sense because they are not an opressed community of adults. In fact many children use those meds. We, as an opressed community gather to celebrate our lives and quite frankly the socializing aspects of medical MJ is greatly overlooked. Humans are social creatures. When we get together we do amazing things like build pyramids, go to the moon and overthrow opressive regeims.

If cannabis had been legal a generation ago your statement would make a little more sense.

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

I am not going to win here so I shall not press further but to say hte ink on legitamacy of medical MJ is still wet and I find it counter-productive to have a group of folks get together for the soul purpose of being able to take a medicine in a "PARTY" atmosphere.

And please spare me the "oppressed people" bullshit. I am an Amercian and proud of it. But look to other places in the world where true oppression is rampant and then tell me of your oppression hyperbole with regard to smoking MJ. Seems to pale in significance.

This is just my opinion. I am most glad for Prop 215 and I do indeed take refuge under its protection. Ido indeed have a legitamate medical need- but I would smoke it anyway and have for 30 years.

minds_I

karmical

minds_I said:
Hello all,

I am not going to win here so I shall not press further but to say hte ink on legitamacy of medical MJ is still wet and I find it counter-productive to have a group of folks get together for the soul purpose of being able to take a medicine in a "PARTY" atmosphere.

And please spare me the "oppressed people" bullshit. I am an Amercian and proud of it. But look to other places in the world where true oppression is rampant and then tell me of your oppression hyperbole with regard to smoking MJ. Seems to pale in significance.

oppression is oppression. if you feel it pales then you're probably not deep enough within the trenches of this war...

good for you cause it can get really nasty at times when you see those that you have stood beside get fucked with and over or in worse cases die.

scrappy420 said:
And Karmical, I'll see ya at the party.

and you know this
:joint:

all messed up

Overgrow refugee
Veteran
minds_I said:
Hello all,

This is just my opinion. I am most glad for Prop 215 and I do indeed take refuge under its protection. Ido indeed have a legitamate medical need- but I would smoke it anyway and have for 30 years.

minds_I

The war on patients. Asset forfeiture is real. Med patients are not opressed? Then photograph you garden, post you real address and name and tell me what's bullshit. If America is really a free country show me your face. Not scared are you? I am. I'm terrified of this government. I've seen them spend MY MONEY to to oppress MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY. Yes it's not as bad inside America as say Iraq where our policies have no need to hide behind propaganda.

What you call a party some would call emotional support.

Please don't highjack this thread. This thread is about a specific gathering for those who worked to make 215 a reality. This is not a place to slam us.

all messed up

Overgrow refugee
Veteran
Prop 215 Tenth Anniversary Celebration
Sat. Nov 4th* 2006 7- 10 PM. - San Francisco
with Dennis Peron, Tod Mikuriya, Dale Gieringer & friends
Free Entertainment & Food
at the San Francisco Gay Community Center
1800 Market St. @ Octavia
Join us in celebrating the tenth year of California's Compassionate Use Act with the original crew who helped bring it about it, thanks to your and the voters' support for Californians' right to medicine.
(If you can't make it to SF but are in Sonoma that night, check out the SAMM Harvest Dance at the Sebastopol Community Center, 7pm - midnite)
*Technically, Prop. 215 was approved on Nov. 5th, 1996, becoming law that midnight
California NORML (415) 563-5858 // canorml@igc.org
2215-R Market St. #278, San Francisco CA 94114

See ya there.

minds_I

Veteran
Hello Scrappy,

Enjoy your gig.

I sincerely hope the event fosters the positive aspects of prop 215 rather then give the appearence of a "smoke out" for its own sake.

minds_I

all messed up

Overgrow refugee
Veteran
It's not my gig.

It's a celebration of everyone, yourself included who have suffered and yet persevered under this so called government. You should go. It's about us.

inflorescence

Veteran
minds I,
I smoke for migraines and have been for 20 years. I also consider it a "2-fer" that my medication of choice ALSO happens to have "psychedelic" and "party" effects on me. I consider this one of the true wonders of MJ so I celebrate that fact, not shame it by considering the psychedic effect to be some sort of "negative side effect".
I wish all medications were like MJ, I feel cheated when I take an NSAID and don't feel any psychedelic effect. :)

mmm420socal

minds_I said:
Hello all,

Just as an FYI trippy was used as a descriptive word, not a feeling or effect...

I was saying it was "DIFFERENT" To have medical patients gathered in one place, legally, exercising their right to do so.

It was an unusual "trippy" experience.... Sorry if my youthful slang thru you for a loop.

Since it was in liberal Frisco, I wasn't surprised it was happening, but it was unique indeed.

And FWIW if you review my many thousands of posts on various boards, you'll see that I am a #1 proponent of LEGITIMATE personal medication use.

One of my favorite catch posts is : "We dont share oxycontin at oxycontin parties, so why do we share marijuana at medical parties"

I normally do not condone or partake in such activities, but I ended up being an observer at this particular party thru a chance encounter.

M

M3

J

Jam Master Jaco

I would just like to chime in and say that I completely agree with Minds_I. I recognize the fact that this get together was probably not some high school party type situation. But nonetheless Minds_I brings up a good point that any other medicine is not celebrated. When Ephedra gets legalized again (that's a rumor I've heard) I seriously doubt people will be marching to the streets and celebrating with all there ephedrine induced hyperness. I also recognize the fact that weed users have been bashed upon for years and years by our government...but you can't deny the fact that if you don't want to get caught and remain low key with your use...then you're not going to get caught. Sorry but I'm rambling and ranting now...but yeah...stay safe and have fun.

Just remember though that we as weed users represent the stereotypes of the rest of weed users when we are out in public. So please, just don't be a stereotypical lazy stoner or the stereotypical "let's blame the government for all our problems" person. I would really like to see legalized in my lifetime and it won't happen if we point our finger at the government and piss them off...there's already enough of that going on at the moment.

*edit* sorry for the rant, so to get back on topic:

Have fun at the get together guys, wish I could be there. :wave:

Last edited:
G

Anyone remember these visor's we wore while gathering signatures and educating voters?

Keefhead

No ... not (gasp) LAWYERS ! !

No ... not (gasp) LAWYERS ! !

scrappy420 said:
No lazy stoners at this gathering. Just some lawyers and doctors who fundamentally changed the law.
Scraping the bottom of the barrel for guests, are we?

LOL, sorry, I just had to do that. :pointlaug

Actually I am grateful for the early pioneers. Until 3 years ago I had never heard of Prop 215, but I was using a lot of Vicodin (pain) and Valium (muscle relaxer). I hadn't smoked pot for a decade or more. Then one day a buddy came over and we smoked two bowls. The V&V habit was broken that night. A zip lock baggie or two later I was "cured" of V&V, and my regular family doctor was happy (and able) to give me the OK. My quality of life is much improved thanks to Prop 215. And my story is but one of many thousands.

K

all messed up

Overgrow refugee
Veteran
Everyone who posted here needs to come to this party. I sat in the room when they wrote 215. I remember it like it was yesterday. Many people who were there are dead now. It had so much more urgency then. Please come folks. I hope Dr. Tod is able to make it.