What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Concentrates and chronic neurpoathic pain

JRace

My wife has CRPS which results in chronic neurpoathic pain.

Normally she finds relief from smoking flowers, strains that work for her include

Purple Kush
OG Kush
Trainwreck
Romulen

Smoking it as flowers will create the body-stone / couch-lock effects that seem to coincide with a reduction in her pain.

Now the strange thing is if we smoke QWET, BHO, or Rosin made from those same strains she reports little to no pain relief.

We will smoke it either through a Volcano, Yocan Evolve Pen, or old fashioned hot-knifing.

She reports much more of a head-stone with the concentrates, which she thinks may be over-riding the body effect.

Anyone else experience a similar change in effects from flower to concentrates?

Galaxy420

My wife has CRPS which results in chronic neurpoathic pain.

Normally she finds relief from smoking flowers, strains that work for her include

Purple Kush
OG Kush
Trainwreck
Romulen

Smoking it as flowers will create the body-stone / couch-lock effects that seem to coincide with a reduction in her pain.

Now the strange thing is if we smoke QWET, BHO, or Rosin made from those same strains she reports little to no pain relief.

We will smoke it either through a Volcano, Yocan Evolve Pen, or old fashioned hot-knifing.

She reports much more of a head-stone with the concentrates, which she thinks may be over-riding the body effect.

Anyone else experience a similar change in effects from flower to concentrates?

you could add terp dip back into your concertrate... I think that's the difference is the terpenes... terpenes are precursor compounds that direct the cannabinoids... the synergistic effects and such

EsterEssence

Veteran
What variety's are the concentrate from? What method are the concentrates made? It is possible there are some compounds or terps that are getting lost in the process. I have neuropathy as well and only vape rosin from a few different variety's. There are also sublingual applications that work and give the couch lock effect. Good luck, it has literally changed my life with daily pain. I have tried some pharma, but that shit is not for me...

JRace

What variety's are the concentrate from? What method are the concentrates made? It is possible there are some compounds or terps that are getting lost in the process. I have neuropathy as well and only vape rosin from a few different variety's. There are also sublingual applications that work and give the couch lock effect. Good luck, it has literally changed my life with daily pain. I have tried some pharma, but that shit is not for me...

Varieties / Methods of concetrates we have tried include:
Purple Kush - Rosin, Quick Wash Ethenonal Oil
Purple Urkle - BHO
Blue Cheese - BHO
Trainwreck - Rosin

I am wondering if (as mentioned) the extraction process is removing the beneficial terps. Smoking those same strains in flower provide benefit, concentrates not so much.

Good thing we also enjoy smoking the flowers!
But I was hoping to be able to boost up the pain relief when she is having very bad days.

We do make capsules from the Purple Kush QWET that provides serious couch lock effects and pain relief, but take over an hour to kick in. Made with 80mg of PK QWET, Coconut oil, + Cornstarch (to create a powered consistent).

Those alone have cut her opiode intake by 2/3.

EsterEssence

Veteran
The only way to tell would be to take a sample of each in for tests for potency and terp content, but how do we know it is only terps and not some other compounds, i can relate to the pain, I have not tried flower maybe it will work for me...

Galaxy420

Varieties / Methods of concetrates we have tried include:
Purple Kush - Rosin, Quick Wash Ethenonal Oil
Purple Urkle - BHO
Blue Cheese - BHO
Trainwreck - Rosin

I am wondering if (as mentioned) the extraction process is removing the beneficial terps. Smoking those same strains in flower provide benefit, concentrates not so much.

Good thing we also enjoy smoking the flowers!
But I was hoping to be able to boost up the pain relief when she is having very bad days.

We do make capsules from the Purple Kush QWET that provides serious couch lock effects and pain relief, but take over an hour to kick in. Made with 80mg of PK QWET, Coconut oil, + Cornstarch (to create a powered consistent).

Those alone have cut her opiode intake by 2/3.

people with pain have found extended relief with cannabimimetic agents that work to slow down the degradation of the actives @ the receptor site.. black pepper for instance has the similar effects that cbd has on the cb-2 receptor as an inverse agonist.. and can slow down the degradation of thc on the cb-1 site

G

Gr33nSanta

very interesting. Id have some inputs about the terpenes if it were from the bho only but if the rosin made from the exact same buds is not doing it? hmm, interesting...

G

Gr33nSanta

was the rosin home made or dispensary bought? if it was store bought I d guess maybe it was pressed at such high temps that the terps vanished, she might get more pain relief from the terps alone, or simply terps are potenciating the thc

Galaxy420

was the rosin home made or dispensary bought? if it was store bought I d guess maybe it was pressed at such high temps that the terps vanished, she might get more pain relief from the terps alone, or simply terps are potenciating the thc

it seems that because of the volatile nature of terpenes they act as directors leading the way for the heavier more stable active compounds like thc/ cbd... terpenes are termed precursor compounds that have modulating effects @ the cb receptors to open or close ion channels for the thc/cbd to come in and sit on to find a way into the receptor( cbd acts as an antagonist agent also working with terpenes directly) ...because the precursors are inverse agonists they slow degradation down @ the receptor allowing maximum exposure of the actives during their metabolic period of activation

JRace

I wa surprised the Rosin was not more effective with pain relief.
It was pressed at my dudes house as I sat and watched. Not sure of the temps he used.

I can get Terps, just not sure if it is worth the cost when the flowers do a great job on their own. If I get a chance I will try some terps that are listed in the strains she likes and add that to the hits with the BHO we have now.

Was hoping for an easy to use delivery system (vape pen) that could be used more stealthy than smoking a joint.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i think that, for most if not all medical applications, the "entourage effect" of ALL contents of the herb will be more beneficial. i concede that there probably are uses for specific isolated components, but on average i believe the whole plant use is the way to go. we are nowhere near knowing what this magnificent plant & its chemical composition is capable of doing...:woohoo:

Galaxy420

i think that, for most if not all medical applications, the "entourage effect" of ALL contents of the herb will be more beneficial. i concede that there probably are uses for specific isolated components, but on average i believe the whole plant use is the way to go. we are nowhere near knowing what this magnificent plant & its chemical composition is capable of doing...:woohoo:
plus, once we add a compound in our bodies we change it to something else completely maybe even turning into multiple compounds as we assimilate them