What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hi there, I'm Liz,72 years old and totally ignorant when it comes to Cannabis

Cvh

Supermod
Hi Liz,

After you have tried medical Marijuana and experimented a bit with it.

Would you mind sharing your experiences and possible relief for you conditions?
Both the good and bad things you noticed.

Your experience might be helpfull to others.

Thanks and good luck.

angelgoob

from my personal experience acetometaphin or aspirin or something.

All I know is when I smoked my whole body became numb, so try mixing cannabis with one of those OTC pain relievers. I don't know if it was strain dependant, but both made me feel like floating, but I still can't remember what one I used. So try those once with cannabis included and see.

also a little bit of meditation will help. here how to do that, breathe for 10 minutes keeping track of it the whole time. Don't take notes or anything, just note your breathing rate and depth of breath. Not only will a little bit of pain go away, you'll be 10 iq points smarter in three months.

Galaxy420

I posted this am and some were very nice to reply, I thank you.
I suffer from Neuropathy. Not chemo induced, as my neurologist said" shit happens" I had shingles which left me with Trigiminal Neuralgia,I also have Fibromyalgia and for 5plus years have had Neuropathy. I've used so many meds I've lost count,each of course leading to side effects.until last week I was taking 2-5/325 Percocet along with 1200 mgs of Gabapentin,300 mgs 4x's a day. Percoet left me with burning throughout my entire body,as if I'm on fire. I'm finally down to 1/2 Percocet for 4 more days and then that will only leave me taking 1200 mgs Gabapentin(which I want to get off of also)
My knowledge of what I need to use as far as cannibus is zero. I know I DO want to try oil or tincture(whatever is most efficient) but not get very high. If those don't work, then I'll have to try smoking but I want to try the oils or tincture first. There is a dispensary near me that sells THCA 43:1 THC ...and also, HIgh Ratio 28:1 CBD MCT...and also THC MCT tincture oil...and High ratio 28:1 CBD MCT oil.
TO be honest, they are speaking in another language . These numbers and oils and tincture is so confusing.
Are tinctures better than oils? Are the ratio better higher for relief of pain? I've read and read and still I cannot understand. I DO know, supposedly CBD and THC work together to relieve pain. CBD being the pain reliever and THC kind putting a high plus pain relief.
PLEASE help me...I'm so desperate.
Growing up dueing the hippie movement, you;d think I'd know something about this but I grew up in a VERY strict family and VERY religeous. Cannibus was an absolute no no.
Thank you for your time and any help you can give.
Liz

some info to help you know why cannabis is being recommended to you- good luck and peace

Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants
US 6630507 B1
Abstract

Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia. Nonpsychoactive cannabinoids, such as cannabidoil, are particularly advantageous to use because they avoid toxicity that is encountered with psychoactive cannabinoids at high doses useful in the method of the present invention.

Galaxy420

The cannabinoids ( CB) in the cannabis plant bio mimic our human cellular biology by signalling @ the neuronal juncture known as cannabinoid receptors ( CB receptor )as required through homeostasis of all observable life... these cannabinoids impart lipid signals for intra/extracellular communication... as far as signalling mechanisms go @ the cb receptor junction our cells do not know the difference in plant phyto-cannabinoids and our endogenously created endo-cannabinoids.
really the only differences are that our own endogenous cannabinods ( anandamide) are synthesized on demand @ the cell surface when needed and work through water and phyto cannabinoids work through lipid fat and store in our tissue. cannabinoids have been termed" crystalline molecular structures" so the mechanism of action is form/shape effecting cellular function.. bumping the receptor with the shape of the cb inducing signaling action and subsequent cellular hoeostasis for long life of the organism... IE; human..
please forget the rant but those lipid signals from the little one hitter, ed's tnt dug out are happening!!

Liz

I don't know how to reply to any of you individually so I'll say Thank you so much for you replies and Cyh, yes, I will absolutely let you know how I feel and what I've found to be helpful with cannibus. My hubby and I are going to a dispensary tomorrow. So far, from what I gather I need to buy CBD 1:1 and also a bottle of THC ....right? I take CBD for pain during the day along with THC? And I guess take THC before I go to bed? Right? Or do I have that all wrong? Gads!!!!!

Liz

Oh and do you think some kind of edible is a good idea too? Something that I can take along WITH the CBD and THC if I need relief quickly? Am I learning from all of you or do I still sound stupid? I'm trying to learn fro all of you :)

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Liz, the fundamental thing to remember is that CBD is anti euphoric... it counteracts the drug high of the THC in regular weed. What quantities, how and when, are down to you to find out

As you have seen from others answers, try different things and see what works for you best, go easy and take notes as you go, it is well worth it when it comes to finding exactly you need.

zoic

Oh and do you think some kind of edible is a good idea too? Something that I can take along WITH the CBD and THC if I need relief quickly? Am I learning from all of you or do I still sound stupid? I'm trying to learn fro all of you :)

To clarify Liz, edibles are slower and longer acting, so getting relief quickly is less likely. When I am suffering from neuropathic pain high THC strains work best for instant relief. I also find that when my pain level is high, the effects of THC can be very diminished, my wife finds the same. It effects everyone differently and mood, diet and rest are just a few things that can also effect the high. A pipe would get you quick relief. A tincture taken orally would be effective as well.

I think you are learning quite well Liz. After all none of us were born with this knowledge. Step back and think about this.
You are 72 years old trying to find something to help with your condition. When conventional medicine failed to hit the mark you sought alternate medicine, which is still considered controversial to many. In your quest to find out more about cannabis you came to this forum seeking help, from a group of people that many would consider as just a bunch of hippies and stoners. So from where I sit you are doing very well.

The people in this community are helpful beyond belief, and I am sure many of us cannot wait to hear what you next question is. You are in a good place and we genuinely care and want to help.

Galaxy420

practical ways to alleviate any possible paranoia you may encounter from cannabis use is to grind a fresh peppercorn ( black pepper) and smell the aromas or to chew on a whole peppercorn... the compounds in the black pepper work on the same recptor site that cbd works on , the cb2 receptor... this receptor calms down over signalling and modulates to many signals from going through...

grinding and smelling pepper will be more immediate relief than chewing whole peppercorns, chewing will have a much slower anxiety relief up to one hour after chewing... you can also use black pepper to titrate your cannabis dose amount but that can be for later once you have tried cannabis and learned about what it is doing for you

the thc effects are actually good for certain signalling efficacy and the buzz you feel from thc is the actual firing of those compounds @ the cb receptor site... anandamide is your own bodies endocannabinoid signalling agent for the exact cb 1 receptor that thc acts on

S

sativaking

Liz i think CVH was recommending the 1:1 thc/cbd oil, not just the cbd. I think it would be just 1: if it was just the CBD. 1:1 means 1-cbd 1-thc. Also check out the benefits of THCA https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/what-is-thca-and-what-are-the-benefits-of-this-cannabinoid ...The ppl at the dispensary should be able to provide you with a lot of info as well to. If you have question about a post someone has made you can ask on here...Another thing thats interesting is that each dispensary will have different stuff unless its a chain. So don't get down about cannabis if you dot like what they have. Lots of possibilities.

Last edited:

Liz

Gosh you guys are the greatest!!!!
So, now another event in my taking Percocet for the pain. I started with burning all over my body,then swelling in my face,hands and mostly my neck. I feel as if my throat is closing. I stopped the last three days of withdrawal,as directed by my Dr. So,my question,how long do I have to wait to start taking cannibus. By the time I buy it,it will be 5 days since the last 1/2 tablet of Percocet. Percocet was absolute poison to me. We're going down to buy the cannibus Wednesday. I stopped taking it last Sat. Is that long enough before starting cannibus. I don't think I've ever come across a nicer group of people than right here. You've all been terrific to this old gal. Thank you so much.

zoic

Don't know if they're supposed to have a reaction together but I have smoked many times while taking Percocet.

I agree, but everyone is different right. The gabapentin and lyrica caused my adverse reactions. I still take 3 percocet/day but mostly for relief of chronic fatigue (strange but true). This light dosage is moderately effective for pain as well, but as far as analgesics go, cannabis knocks it out of the park for me.

I have reached 0 pain some days just from smoking a little extra. I also find cannabis much better than baclofen at relieving muscle spams and clenching, especially black hash for some reason.

S

sativaking

I can honestly say coming off prescriptions was one of the worst experiences for me and i stopped smoking weed while doing it. I dont think it would have caused problems but for me it was better to let my mind and body get back to a natural state before starting the cannabis again. Its what I felt i needed. A pill splitter will be your friend if your trying to come off meds and doing it in increments. I couldn't do it without it. The slow ween is definitely needed for most ppl and i think its much safer for your body as well to. Always best to avoid the negativity of withdrawals.

Always best to ask a doctor as well....me thinks

Last edited:

Liz

Oh, my gosh, you're going to get so tired of my questions BUT...
How many drops of CBD 28:1 MCT oil, do you suggest I start out with? AND how many THC drops( I have a bottle of THC too)

Liz

Hi guys, I asked a question and I'm fine....I'm on my way. I jsut started my new life on cannibus and NO pharmaceutical medicine. I cannot begin to thank all of you for you help. Again, I'm a new life of relaxation

Galaxy420

Hi guys, I asked a question and I'm fine....I'm on my way. I jsut started my new life on cannibus and NO pharmaceutical medicine. I cannot begin to thank all of you for you help. Again, I'm a new life of relaxation

Hi Liz,, congratulations! if you post around here on the forum at any of the threads you will increase your post count and can then interact more through the forum with it's members... you can just go say Hi to the new thread starters to increase.. Bless

zoic

So how are things working out Liz. Hope all is well, and that you are having a pleasant and rewarding experience.