What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RSO / FECO / Black Oil causing upset stomach

Del_9_THC

Chlorophyll???....really, so you don't eat green plant matter? Or the people who have the problem are getting it because of a little more chlorophyll in their diet.....

SORRY! I don't but it, unless they have some kind of allergy to,chlorophyll, meaning, also, that they have the same problem when eating a salad.��

Del_9_THC

Sorry it is the same chemical. now if you claim that, due to,the extraction method, they are getting significantly higher amounts of chlorophyll than they otherwise would from eating vegetable matter, then it might be plausible.

But I still,don't buy it. I,eat a shit ton of green veggies (more chlorophyll than in any concentrate) and neither concentrates nor veggies have that effect on me.

Del_9_THC

I, nor any cannabis edible user I know, has any problem with canna butter, unless of course they are dairy intolerant or suffer effects from any excessively fatter material, butter, oils, creams, or otherwise.

If you also have issues with high salts, then they may also cause problems. I use only unsalted butter when I make cannabutter.

I think people may be reacting to edibles made with isopropyl or other nonpotable alcohol or other substances like butane, due to poor purging and/or an intolerance to the trace chemical residues left behind. Although, these should be at fairly trace levels.

Del_9_THC

Since I can not sit my posts, I meant edibles me with oil (butane, iso, or other toxic solvent) that has not be properly purged (or sufficiently purged for the extremely sensitive).

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I process with ice water into bubble hash then dissolve it well in warm ethanol then freeze, winterized, evap ethanol, decarb.

No green all good.

ronbo51

Veteran
I did a bunch of runs with qwiso and Everclear and the quality was always dependent on the time the green matter is exposed to the solvent. The trichomes dissolve on contact, within seconds all the exposed trichomes are melted. Do your quick wash for the highest quality. Then do another with a longer soak to make candy.

At paint stores they sell strainer nets that painters use to strain any little bits out of paint before rolling. They come in can or 5 gallon bucket size. Liquid moves through it pretty fast, giving you less exposure.

We use a ton of vegetable glycerin where I work. We get it in 55 gallon barrels. I have made successful tinctures in VG and it can go into almost anything. It has a naturally sweet taste. You can also use VG tincture straight up in a sub om ecig, or thin it, flavor it with other beneficial oils or terpenes, and vape it in a regular ecig.

Good luck.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
But I still,don't buy it. I,eat a shit ton of green veggies (more chlorophyll than in any concentrate) and neither concentrates nor veggies have that effect on me.
buy it or not it's happening, im not the only one to bring it up
yes a cannabis extract has a "shit ton"more chlorophyll" than just eating green veggies

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When you eat greens whole then your digestive system extracts from the greens the chemicals that it can extract. Thats different than extracting everything you can take out of the greens using ethanol and then eating the extraction.
:yeahthats pdxds knows whats up

not the same at all, comparing a solvent based plant extract to a bowl of salad

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I, nor any cannabis edible user I know, has any problem with canna butter, unless of course they are dairy intolerant or suffer effects from any excessively fatter material, butter, oils, creams, or otherwise.
There are a significant number of people who are unaware they poorly digest butter, simply because they've been eating it their whole lives. The B blood type is the only blood type capable of properly digesting butter. Everyone else should use olive oil or ghee. A fact which doesn't care a whit about your education, or lack thereof, on the subject.

Any other blood type can quit eating all dairy products for a full month and then see what I mean by eating a few tablespoons of butter on an empty stomach. You won't be doing that again, I can assure you.

If you also have issues with high salts, then they may also cause problems. I use only unsalted butter when I make cannabutter.
Truly insignificant and not something causing digestion issues.

I think people may be reacting to edibles made with isopropyl or other nonpotable alcohol or other substances like butane, due to poor purging and/or an intolerance to the trace chemical residues left behind. Although, these should be at fairly trace levels.
Yes, this can sometimes be the case. Unfortunately, people still do have issues with excess chlorophyll and plant waxes. You not being one of them (that you're aware of) doesn't change this for everyone else.

When you've grown up eating foods which are incompatible for your blood type, you don't have a clue how they affect you. Eating something which is avoid, after cleaning your system out for a month is extremely enlightening. ;)

GoatCheese

Veteran
Could it be that it was the coconut oil.
Google "coconut oil stomach pain" or something like that.

I know coconut fat can give you the shits even, so it could be the same thing with coco oil.

Douglas.Curtis

Could it be that it was the coconut oil.
Google "coconut oil stomach pain" or something like that.

I know coconut fat can give you the shits even, so it could be the same thing with coco oil.
Considering coconut oil is only fully digested easily by a portion of the O blood types, this could also have contributed. I personally don't use coconut oil as it goes through my system undigested. Makes things fairly slippery after a few days of use.

If it's coming out the other end, it's undigested and will be carrying unabsorbed cannabinoids with it. Very much a waste.

Ghee or olive rock! :D

B4URTIME

Water cured is the way to go when making RSO style oils, Will get a much cleaner extract from the water cured buds. Should make it much easier on the stomach.

Water cure and dry, extract, decarb, mix with whatever carrier oil you prefer and its good to go.

Douglas.Curtis

Water cured is the way to go when making RSO style oils, Will get a much cleaner extract from the water cured buds. Should make it much easier on the stomach.
Unfortunately, water cured removes a large amount of terpenes. A quick wash with ethanol is non-toxic (completely), contains very little chlorophyll, very little plant wax and, when olive oil is added to it before removing the alcohol, retains significantly more terpenes.

Weird thing, I've never had water cured come out 'nice.' I've had disgusting bud from other growers get water cured and come out 'better,' but that's about it.

Full plant ethanol extraction is my go to method for massive terpene retention. Yummy stuff, no green.

B4URTIME

Unfortunately, water cured removes a large amount of terpenes. A quick wash with ethanol is non-toxic (completely), contains very little chlorophyll, very little plant wax and, when olive oil is added to it before removing the alcohol, retains significantly more terpenes.

Weird thing, I've never had water cured come out 'nice.' I've had disgusting bud from other growers get water cured and come out 'better,' but that's about it.

Full plant ethanol extraction is my go to method for massive terpene retention. Yummy stuff, no green.

Well from my experience you lose the terpenes in the decarbing process anyways so it truely doesnt make a difference in the result. However if terpene matters just use straight rosin :)

Only way to get the terpenes and the activated thc would be to take the oil made with water cured nugs decarbed and add some rosin to it to give back the terps lost in the decarbing process.

Basically to get terpene rich activated oil your gonna have to add some terp back after the decarbing process, you can use rosin, or some of the same oil before decarbing and so on.

Del_9_THC

Yeah, how much oil/concentrate is being consumed in one setting?
If someone eats 50 to 70 grams of spinach, you are telling me that they get less chlorophyll than when consuming a very very very small, but concentrated, amount of weed oil?

My bullshit detectors go off when someone tries to put up an argument, but then they do not have good data or points to back it up.

I am open minded; convince me with numbers and I might buy into it, otherwise, I'll stick to science and rational discourse.

Del_9_THC

:yeahthats pdxds knows whats up

not the same at all, comparing a solvent based plant extract to a bowl of salad

Actually, that is NOT what I am doing.
I argue that the minuscule amount of chlorophyll in any consumed concentrate is, if not far below (and believe it IS far far below) daily human consumption level, then it is, at least, within tolerable bounds.
That is, you would get as much, if not vastly more chlorophyll from eating greens that from consuming an edible.

Example: let's say that the edible, to be consumed, has one gram of concentrate in it. (That is a shitload of oil, per serving, that only a very very experienced user could tolerate comfortably. )
Now, what percent weight of that one gram of concentrate is chlorophyll?.....if you are concentrating for cannabinoids (usually THC, CBD) then the amount of chlorophyll in that gram of concentrate is nearly negligible compared to the cannabinoids, otherwise why use a concentrate?

So, even consuming an edible with an heroic dose of concentrate you would still only be consuming a meager amount of chlorophyll.

Anybody disagree with the above? If so, why? Also, please provide a reasoned response, maybe use some data? I am willing to be convinced by rational argument.

Del_9_THC

There are a significant number of people who are unaware they poorly digest butter, simply because they've been eating it their whole lives. The B blood type is the only blood type capable of properly digesting butter. Everyone else should use olive oil or ghee. A fact which doesn't care a whit about your education, or lack thereof, on the subject.

Any other blood type can quit eating all dairy products for a full month and then see what I mean by eating a few tablespoons of butter on an empty stomach. You won't be doing that again, I can assure you.

Truly insignificant and not something causing digestion issues.

Yes, this can sometimes be the case. Unfortunately, people still do have issues with excess chlorophyll and plant waxes. You not being one of them (that you're aware of) doesn't change this for everyone else.

When you've grown up eating foods which are incompatible for your blood type, you don't have a clue how they affect you. Eating something which is avoid, after cleaning your system out for a month is extremely enlightening. ;)

Hey Doug, maybe if you would have read my post, your reply would have been shorter. First quote....I mention people who poorly digest butter/fats/dairy might have reaction to cannabutter....hence, your reply there was redundant.

Second, Eating for blood type?...oh yeah, that fad diet of several years ago....Evidence?..no?...didn't think so.

Also, salts are NOT truly insignificant, but your reply was, in terms of its validity. The metals in salts tend to reduce stomach acidity (why do you think calcium, and other metals are the main ingredients in ant-acid tablets?) but some people may have other reactions particularly to sodium( found in....wait for it...salted butter)..which can be very dangerous for people with high blood pressure. Hence, the reason I use unsalted butter for my cannabutter.

PDX Dopesmoker

Actually, that is NOT what I am doing.
I argue that the minuscule amount of chlorophyll in any consumed concentrate is, if not far below (and believe it IS far far below) daily human consumption level, then it is, at least, within tolerable bounds.
That is, you would get as much, if not vastly more chlorophyll from eating greens that from consuming an edible.

Example: let's say that the edible, to be consumed, has one gram of concentrate in it. (That is a shitload of oil, per serving, that only a very very experienced user could tolerate comfortably. )
Now, what percent weight of that one gram of concentrate is chlorophyll?.....if you are concentrating for cannabinoids (usually THC, CBD) then the amount of chlorophyll in that gram of concentrate is nearly negligible compared to the cannabinoids, otherwise why use a concentrate?

So, even consuming an edible with an heroic dose of concentrate you would still only be consuming a meager amount of chlorophyll.

Anybody disagree with the above? If so, why? Also, please provide a reasoned response, maybe use some data? I am willing to be convinced by rational argument.

If its RSO made from bud then about half of the gram is non-cannabinoid material, which is a minuscule amount of material made from a small amount of dried plant matter, but amongst the small amount of the noncannabinoid half are materials which wouldn't be soluble in gastric fluid. That small amount of dried plant matter gets a lot bigger when its not dried, 3.5g is roughly the amount of dried flower it takes to make a g of RSO so maybe like 15-20g of fresh bud, which is a comparable amount to the amount of spinach in salad.