What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Finally Veterans are allowed Cannabis

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
It comes down to the scheduling of drugs (marijuana is still classified Schedule I), for both veterans and citizens. Ramifications if you do both....even in legal states.
funny, would the ramifications you speak of, be the VA ratting out MMJ users if they (VA) know they (the vet) is using marijuana, state legal or not? wouldn't that be a doctor/patient privileged information issue? or doesn't that apply to our government?

C. Breeze

Hey- so the thread title sort of conveys the idea that this actually went through. It passed the vote but the canna provisions were stripped in negotiations so that amendment went away. No cannabis access for vets, through the VA. And yes the VA will discriminate against you if they know you use cannabis. Here is a nice piece from there website about veterans with PTSD and "cannabis use disorder"

If this doesn't work as a link, copy and paste it to your browser and give it a read. It's not too cool.

https://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/co-occurring/marijuana_use_ptsd_veterans.asp

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Hey- so the thread title sort of conveys the idea that this actually went through. It passed the vote but the canna provisions were stripped in negotiations so that amendment went away. No cannabis access for vets, through the VA. And yes the VA will discriminate against you if they know you use cannabis. Here is a nice piece from there website about veterans with PTSD and "cannabis use disorder"

If this doesn't work as a link, copy and paste it to your browser and give it a read. It's not too cool.

https://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/co-occurring/marijuana_use_ptsd_veterans.asp
Not too cool
e72ee932.gif
That is typical of the anti marijuana lobby (big pharma).
Put those same assholes in a fire fight or rocket attack and watch them 'light up' later, to forget.
I went thru almost 30 years of 'remembering' and 'hiding' with all the drugs available on the streets. Fuckem.

I require no opiate prescriptions and have told them I use MMJ with no repercussions so far... I have heard that they will screw with you opioid scripts though no first hand knowledge, what is the fear?

Politics shift and one day they might be okay with it one day not again. I don't want to give them any ammo to try and take my disability rating away, rather keep as much info to myself and away from the VA. IME the VA is there to manage veterans not help them.

C. Breeze

Outside of the cannabis issue- and outside of the mismanagement, underfunding, undereqipment, understaffing, and outside of the convoluted appointment system, I think the real problem is that the entire relationship starts as adversarial. Yo show up with you dd214 and your med records- saying, see here's all the shit that's broke- and they're like- no, your lying. It starts with a va dr trying to protect the budget, and then after that you finally get to your primary care guy and you have spent 2 years ina fight with the fuckers and you sure as hell don't trust them anymore- so even if by a miracle you get a good dr, and can get appointments when you need them- it's an adversarial relationship based on suspicion rather than trust. Anyway. They are well and truly anti cannabis. Keep your head down, eyes forward and mouth shut.