What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to make a PVC dripper manifold

mikeross

Don't see this mentioned in this thread but how does a slope effect the output of the manifold.

In my case the manifold will be sitting on a 4'x24' table that slopes about 6" over 24'. Now I know that's minimal slope but won't the drippers at the end of the manifold flow more or at least come out of the open lines first?

I guess once the manifold is full, pump shuts off, then when it restarts the manifold is full already so flow should somewhat equalize??????

DunHav`nFun

Don't see this mentioned in this thread but how does a slope effect the output of the manifold.

In my case the manifold will be sitting on a 4'x24' table that slopes about 6" over 24'. Now I know that's minimal slope but won't the drippers at the end of the manifold flow more or at least come out of the open lines first?

I guess once the manifold is full, pump shuts off, then when it restarts the manifold is full already so flow should somewhat equalize??????
Plumbing code in my world states 1/8" per ft. fall is the minimum for drainage flow Mike , and you`re going with 1/4" fall ?.....Can`t hurt but not necessary Bro.....The backsides of your tables should be raised 1/2" toward the gutters and a 3" drop from end to end will work though....and yeah.....

Takes a second or 2 ta pressurize the manifolds when they`re that long , so you`ll definitely need ball valves on each feed line from rez to adjust proper flow to each plantsite once fully pressurized and flowing....and......You can always "raise" the opposite end of the tables to slow the juice from flowing faster to the other end , but that would depend on if you can put drains where they`re needed to do so though....regardless......many waysta skin a mule Bro , and you`ve got shit already down , just gotta implement and fab it all together and get ta work.....and ....with the manifolds on your tables , you could build em outta black vinyl instead of pvc and save bigtime with no pvc , no tophat grommets and real cheap and easy with a hole punch and push in fittings since it won`t matter if there`s a lil seepage from anywhere when pump kicks on , but that`s your call on how permanent the setup is.....anyways.....lastly.....

It don`t take but once to drain a rez out on the floor to figure out how important the "anti-siphon" hole/tube is huh ?.....lol.....Ball valve to each zone and you`re set.....take care and holler if I can help.....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: .....

Grapefruitroop

Ok Bro.....I`ve built many a Pico style "loopfield manifold" in my day , and the ONLY wayta guarantee consistent pressure and flow to each individual plantsite with such a long run is to use an oversized pump with a bypass back to the rez , a choke/control/ball valve in front of said bypass , and then each tube to each plantsite has to be exactly the same length.....then....

Suuuper interestin! Im recollectin around infos to do the same thing too!!
may i ask you what do you mean by "bypass back to the res with a ball valve"
Like from the pump a T with one goin to the loop and another straight back to the res with a valve to control the flow?
Thanks for the cool hints!!!

DunHav`nFun

Suuuper interestin! Im recollectin around infos to do the same thing too!!
may i ask you what do you mean by "bypass back to the res with a ball valve"
Like from the pump a T with one goin to the loop and another straight back to the res with a valve to control the flow?
Thanks for the cool hints!!!
If you have a rez where the pump/feed line goes straight up through the lid , with an oversized pump to make sure there`s enough flow and pressure to each plantsite , you add a "tee" above solution level that blows back the excess pressure back nto the rez so the pump won`t burn up when choked down by the ball valve on the outside of rez placed where it`s most easily accessed , and don`t forget the "anti-siphon" hole drilled/punched into the feedline "above" rez and plants.....now.....the bypass "inside" the rez......

I always added a small straight pc. to the tee and then put a 90 degree elbow on that to blast back down at the rez to help keep solution stirred while oxygenating said rez every time the pump kicks on for a win-win situation in my book.....Mike`s rez evidently is big enough for the "tee" to blast sideways and still do the same job.....anyways.....

Hope that helps ....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: ......

DunHav`nFun

Do those inline particle filters need to be mounted so filter is pointed downwards?
Yes Bro.....Thanks for bringin that up and it`s mentioned in the thread way back when , but inline filters are always pointed down that I ever used.....some were angled , some were vertical , but particulate matter falls and precipitates outta suspension with salt based nutrients , thus the need for said filter.....Good question Kalo....

Peace.....DHF....:ying: .....

kalopatchkid

Veteran
Thanks for your reply, DHF. It makes more sense to point the filter downward but I saw a couple pics on the DIG website where they had it installed pointing up, so it had me confused.

Miraculous Meds

Thanks for your reply, DHF. It makes more sense to point the filter downward but I saw a couple pics on the DIG website where they had it installed pointing up, so it had me confused.

I honestly dont think it matters, at least for the way mine works. It seals on both ends so the water is forced thru the mesh screen. Now how you would take the housing off without making a mess if its pointing up, is the problem. Pointing down, you can collect the water easier that comes out when cleaning.

Dandelo

Great thread Pico! Thanks for all the ideas :)

can anyone share a picture or drawing to give an idea of how to set up a proper res with a recirc pump(like how DHF explained above, I can almost grasp the concept) and where exactly the siphon hole or anti siphon whatever is?

Should the res be placed at, above or below plant container level? is it preference or is one better than another?

mikeross

Great thread Pico! Thanks for all the ideas :)

can anyone share a picture or drawing to give an idea of how to set up a proper res with a recirc pump(like how DHF explained above, I can almost grasp the concept) and where exactly the siphon hole or anti siphon whatever is?

Should the res be placed at, above or below plant container level? is it preference or is one better than another?

REZ_1.png

The anti siphon is just a small hole you drill anywhere above the water line. I usually do it at the 90 elbow. When the pump shuts off this small hole allows air to get into the line and breaks the siphon so you don't drain your rez.

The shut off valve is there to adjust the pressure of the pump. If the pump is too strong just open the valve until you are happy with the output. The added bonus is it will air rate your rez and circulate it but the main purpose is to control flow IMO. My rez is setup just like the illustration above but I have a separate small pump I use for circulating my nutes. I have it on a timer to turn on 5 min before my feed pump kicks on.

The photo is just an example. You can setup the plumbing anyway you want... just need to make sure the shutoff valve and anti siphon hole are above the waterline.

Last edited:

DunHav`nFun

Thanks Mike.....Hope you`re gettin close to doin a grow thread with the new setup.....This place needs some experienced shit for folks ta learn from.....My rez`s were pest control tanks fitted for pickup trucks , so 325 gals. on a low profile 5' diameter but only like 30" tall...and that`s why.....

My "ball valve" and anti-siphon were "outside" the rez for easy access , but still up high above solution level just like you have sketched....and.....Good call on the lil powerhead pump to stir solution at the bottom before the feed pump kicks on.....Usedta run mine 15 mins before feed pump , so same thing just a lil longer.....plus I used GH 3 part so no dry salts to precipitate out of solution.....anyways.....thanks again Mike....Take care and......

Dandelo

View Image

The anti siphon is just a small hole you drill anywhere above the water line. I usually do it at the 90 elbow. When the pump shuts off this small hole allows air to get into the line and breaks the siphon so you don't drain your rez.

The shut off valve is there to adjust the pressure of the pump. If the pump is too strong just open the valve until you are happy with the output. The added bonus is it will air rate your rez and circulate it but the main purpose is to control flow IMO. My rez is setup just like the illustration above but I have a separate small pump I use for circulating my nutes. I have it on a timer to turn on 5 min before my feed pump kicks on.

The photo is just an example. You can setup the plumbing anyway you want... just need to make sure the shutoff valve and anti siphon hole are above the waterline.

Thanks!! perfect explanation, now the hard part, to decide on size and where to put it :D

any ideas for constantly agitating the res? I use PBP and sometimes stuff settles and creates a film so I usually mix fresh daily but would like to be able to mix for the week and feed off that res.

kalopatchkid

Veteran
What I did on my res to prevent siphon, was make a riser off my pump with a T to attach my hose and above the T I used a z a 3/4” air relief valve.

mikeross

Thanks!! perfect explanation, now the hard part, to decide on size and where to put it :D

any ideas for constantly agitating the res? I use PBP and sometimes stuff settles and creates a film so I usually mix fresh daily but would like to be able to mix for the week and feed off that res.

Many variables when it comes to sizing your rez. Size of your grow, how much your plants drink, how often you want to do a rez change and how long your nutrients can maintain PH and not build up any gunk.
If your running a few lights, 55 gal food grade barrels make good reservoirs or the heavy duty totes with the yellow lids if you need low profile. Totes are from home depot and check out Craigslist for the food grade barrels. If you need real big check for IBC totes on craigslist... 250-275gal for about $100 bucks.

I have a circulating pump in my rez, can't recall the size. Off the pump I have a 3/4" pvc riser that runs to the top of the rez and has a tee. Pump is set to turn on 5 mins before my feed pump comes on. I run a real clean dry salt recipe which doesn't require a long mix. Your gonna have to determine how long you need to circulate your res based off the nutes you're using.

mikeross

Thanks Mike.....Hope you`re gettin close to doin a grow thread with the new setup.....This place needs some experienced shit for folks ta learn from.....My rez`s were pest control tanks fitted for pickup trucks , so 325 gals. on a low profile 5' diameter but only like 30" tall...and that`s why.....

I'm a few months out, hopefully Dec I'm up and running which is crazy busy time of year for me. I've found (2) "apprentices" who I hope work out well and gonna do most of the grunt work #PayingYourDues... I know I did.

Covid has delayed license applications and lead time is 3-4 months in Canada which is the main reason for the delay. The build-out to is literally from scratch in a new spot. When I say from scratch, I have to pour 18 yards of concrete to create the floor lol... so construction portion is gonna take about 4-6 weeks. I'm gonna document it all.

mikeross

What I did on my res to prevent siphon, was make a riser off my pump with a T to attach my hose and above the T I used a z a 3/4” air relief valve.

That'll work!

Actually if you look at my drawing the anti siphon hole isn't required if the shutoff valve is open even the slightest bit.

Dandelo

going for a 200 gallon res, got a few options...

my question is do you all think it is better to have a pump setup coming out the top or should I utilize some of the gravity pressure and pump out the bottom? I could always get an inline pump setup if so. let me know what you all think, i know there is a lot I am missing here :) trying to get it all together!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts