What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Used whole bottle of fish emulsion on outdoor plants

AGrow

Haven't posted here in years! Anyway, I only grow outdoors these days and I don't get out to water my plants much (it rains). I plant them with organics like composted manure and worm castings and bone meal, and kelp. Today I wanted to give them a boost, and I did the same thing last year but not quite to this extent. I disregard the labels and just pour my fish emulsion into my watering cans that I fill up in my creek nearby. I've never burned my plants with organics ever in my life, but today I just used the entire gallon jug haha (11 plants). Keep in mind they are planted in the ground outside among other weeds like goldenrod etc. Curious about anyone's experience and if it's possible to over feed with fish emulsion?

WelderDan

Veteran
What was the ratio of emulsion to water? You said a gallon of emulsion, and 11 plants, so I'd assume you used at least 11 gallons of water.

You didn't mention how big the plants are either.

Assuming they are decent size, and the mix wasn't too hot, you should probably be OK.

Like CG said, you probably have more to worry about from the critters it might attract.

AGrow

About 5-6 gallons of water but I will water again tomorrow. This is the first dry week we've had so the neighbors haven't even been able to hay yet this season until now. I was worried about critters in years past but it's never been an issue out here.

WelderDan

Veteran
That may be a bit hot, but if you have had a lot of rain and you didn't pour it at the base of the plant, but in a wider area you "should" be OK.

You can't undo what is done, so it is what it is.

They should grow like hell if if you didn't burn 'em. Good luck

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
You are so lucky you don't have critters. There are lots of Raccoons (in a city) here. I learned the hard way not to use fish emulsion OUTDOORS after the Coons dug up several plants. They leave the plants alone if I use chicken manure sparingly. Of course I have mothballs scattered around and rags soaked in household ammonia so maybe that helps.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We've used something similar....but maybe more algae along with fish turds. No problems. Like to mix it in teas from other plants, but then again, our plants are in containers. It might have a different result if we were to directly pour into soil.

I think as long as you aren't using fish emulsion with every watering, there's no problem.

AGrow

You are so lucky you don't have critters. There are lots of Raccoons (in a city) here. I learned the hard way not to use fish emulsion OUTDOORS after the Coons dug up several plants. They leave the plants alone if I use chicken manure sparingly. Of course I have mothballs scattered around and rags soaked in household ammonia so maybe that helps.

I've captured some MONSTER coons on trail cam in my woods but they don't bother either my trash cans nor my free range chickens. I've shot all the foxes this year and idk if Fischer cats or mink will pester me much. Guess I'm lucky but today I will check on them and water a little bit more. Thanks for everyone's input!

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
A friend of a friend overdid the fish emulsion, he ended up with fish smelling, tasting weed

So, he made the entire crop into cookies, to sell at a festival. Trouble was, the fishyness had permeated into the cookies and fishy MJ cookies are uneatable, as he sadly found out...

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
A friend of a friend overdid the fish emulsion, he ended up with fish smelling, tasting weed

So, he made the entire crop into cookies, to sell at a festival. Trouble was, the fishyness had permeated into the cookies and fishy MJ cookies are uneatable, as he sadly found out...

Well I would have eaten them - beggars can't be choosers.:)

I tried the fish emulsion on my outdoor plants and the coons have dug up atleast 20 of them. i will say that besides the leaves that the bugs have chewed up my outdoor plants are soo healthy and dark green from using the fish emulsion, just wish it didn't appeal to the coons soo much lol

Attachments

• IMG_0762.JPG
    IMG_0762.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 7