What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Letting Others be Wrong...

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Yep, most of the crazy disagreements between smart people, are not about the actual "answer" or results, rather endless amount of time is spent debating the "process" (how to get there), aka "variables".

Let me go out on a limb here....I submit that most ALL ICMag members agree that quality cannabis is good for the body and soul (the "answer").

However when it comes to the "process", I submit there are excellent hydro growers who have invested years perfecting their synthetic craft...who will not be easily convinced that organic soil/soil-less is best (their head must accept and admit they have been doing it "right", but going about it the "wrong" way). Ditto for the organic soil/soil-less grower to be persuaded that synthetic nutrients are the "best". Both camps are solidily entrenched since both are "correct" and neither are "wrong".

Imagine that, a situation where two super intelligent experts disagree on the "process" (hydro vs soil/soil-less) but agree on the "answer" (clean smoking cannabis that is free of unwanted chemicals and contaminants that is good for the body and soul) .

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Imagine that, a situation where two super intelligent experts disagree on the "process" (hydro vs soil/soil-less) but agree on the "answer" (clean smoking cannabis that is free of unwanted chemicals and contaminants that is good for the body and soul) .

:woohoo: we have struck GOLD! :tiphat: a similar situation arises in cooking daily. damned fine barbecue is cooked daily all over this country, but no two 'cue experts do it the same. different cooking woods, cooking time, sauce recipes, boil (or not) before smoking to save time, even the meat used. here, it is the ubitquous pork shoulder. in Texas, those infidels cook BEEF BRISKET! how on earth could they be so wrong? they are NOT, only different. (please Tex, i was joking! don't hang me!) all different, all excellent! i love it all...:dance013:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
one of the things that makes it exponentially harder to discuss relative and universal truths has to do with what brings many of us here and the relationship we have with the plant

I am very open about the benefit it brings to my mental illness, it is a savior for me. So my attachment to the relationship as it is, is the best I can have and it has always been this way because as a grower the fruits of my labors are relative to my experience and resource

Some people have special relationships with strains that deepen this connection. The attachment coupled with a good buzz can make another person's perspective seem threatening to our own if there is a variance and we internalize their preference as a critique.

anyone who has a relationship with the plant is on the right path and the effort you put in is rewarded by the resource it provides, in this way we are all equal

and because we are at different developmental stages of our relationship with the plant it makes our application and benefit relative

what makes the plant so magnificent that no matter how you engage it, you will heal and develop

and in these ways we are all equal and the same time, our diversity a reflection of the plants adaptability and utility

if we try to compare as if this is a competition (and this is the reason I have challenged breeders, mods. members) because of the influence of capitalism it undermines our ability as a community to share our successes and failures gracefully for a greater good

and I truly get how had it is for some people to trust anyone even themselves but this plant brought you here for a reason and that is because there is a greater potential in all of us to rise to our full potentially, synergystically and help everyone develop fully and simply thrive to the best of their ability

not that capitalism isn't framework we need to work with sometimes but it should not change our culture that we forget why it was made legal in the first place

to heal mankind and while at first you may only realize the transformation of self as development flourishes it extends to those around you in need

I hope this clears up things a bit and why over the years as I have grown beautiful plants in all types of methods why I keep trying to develop this healing relationship and why I am so vocal about putting humanity first with this plant

it still pays money dividends in the end, humanity and capatilsim need not be mutually exclusive in fact there is more for everyone of we don't envision them as being that way

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran

:woohoo: we have struck GOLD! :tiphat: a similar situation arises in cooking daily. damned fine barbecue is cooked daily all over this country, but no two 'cue experts do it the same. different cooking woods, cooking time, sauce recipes, boil (or not) before smoking to save time, even the meat used. here, it is the ubitquous pork shoulder. in Texas, those infidels cook BEEF BRISKET! how on earth could they be so wrong? they are NOT, only different. (please Tex, i was joking! don't hang me!) all different, all excellent! i love it all...:dance013:
Armedoldhippy,,,,
wouldnt it take ages to barb brisket ? and would it be tough as a donkeys arse?......s2

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
I got told when I was young, there is no right way- just what works, and what don't.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Experience and awareness are also key to understanding variables. When one has never experienced truly clean cannabis, their awareness of what's possible is greatly diminished.

When I first started growing, I believed my cannabis quality was top notch. Compared to strèet sourced and 99% of dispensary sourced, it was superior for years. It only took one sample of truly clean cannabis to make me realize my quality was only 'decent.'

Now I know there are better growers, even though my quality is now excellent. As good as my quality is, there are other growers who have experienced more shades of quality and spent more resources on experimentation. Not finding better quality than mine is simply because I don't have acces to those 'better' growers. I figure we're still in that 1%.

Always looking for a greater awareness and the next 'gem' of info for even better quality. ;)

DocTim420

Armedoldhippy,,,,
wouldnt it take ages to barb brisket ? and would it be tough as a donkeys arse?......s2

A slow smoked brisket with all the gelatinous action will produce beautiful piece of meet that, once sliced against the grain can be eaten with just a fork (no knife necessario). Can you spell YUM?

Another trick is to pre-cook the meat in the oven (75% finish) and then finish it off on the BBQ. Done correctly, hard to tell the difference.

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
Slow cooked beef.....drool....
That thought seems to have turned me into Homer Simpson.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A slow smoked brisket with all the gelatinous action will produce beautiful piece of meet that, once sliced against the grain can be eaten with just a fork (no knife necessario). Can you spell YUM?

Another trick is to pre-cook the meat in the oven (75% finish) and then finish it off on the BBQ. Done correctly, hard to tell the difference.

cheers Doc,,,,
only have brisket in the oven,,slow cooked,,,,
lovely,,,,s2

G.O. Joe

Veteran

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - smoke first.

It has always been dangerous to be right when the authorities are wrong. Pleasant has been recommended over smart by experts. But some things just can't go unchallenged.

Yet when all your posts are like that because you happen to have nothing else to say, it ends up reflecting badly on you - especially when you outsmart those who offer pleasant.

DocTim420

GO, 100% true. But on the occasions where you don't have access to a smoker capable of smoking a brisket for dozen or so hours, then there are nice work arounds. You might say we modified a things from the "Sous Vide" style of cooking; (originated from french chefs where food is vacuum sealed in a plastic pouch then placed in a temperature controlled water bath (131 to 140 °F) for long cooking times).

We had big ass BBQ with about 150 people and since over 80% wanted beef brisket, it would have required a jumbo (budget killer) smoker, so what we did was follow the advice of a chef we knew (which I found later was called Sous Vide). Except we slow cooked them in "turkey bags" at low heat in a commercial oven for a god awful long time--then added the smoke via charcoal grill as they finished during the last hour or so.

Here is the recipe for "Sous Vide smoked brisket" which was more than what we had to work with. https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket.html

But you get the idea, a properly cooked brisket ain't shoe leather.

Ahh you wanna see a baby mushroom cloud on the horizon...put 2 chefs in the same kitchen and tell them to cook together as a team. LOL!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
DocTime420 said:
Ahh you wanna see a baby mushroom cloud on the horizon...put 2 chefs in the same kitchen and tell them to cook together as a team. LOL!
Sounds like you guys would enjoy a BBQ thread, yeah? lol
The only thing 2 chefs will agree on is how wrong the third is. Substitute chef with grower/trainer/anything and it's still going to be accurate. :)

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
As a chef, I teach humility first before skill, but have many stories of the old school
masters trouncing lesser cooks.

It wasn't until I apprenticed under a BBQ master that I understood the
proper way to handle my meat...

Sous vide is quaint, but until I see a whole pig in a bag of warm water, I'll reserve judgement on that process, lol

Good times.

Latest posts

Latest posts